IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1169 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1140 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1141 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1098 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #621 COMPLETED: Grand Prix Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #645 Tip Time with Chris - Compressor used for cabinet painting Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #726 COMPLETED: Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #826 COMPLETED: Tommy Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1228 COMPLETED: Addams Family Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grandnational007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Never seen a lobster dog or steak dog - going to have to try those!

The first one is called a Lobster Roll; there is much debate in New England Proper how to eat them and which is best.

Connecticut style, which is my favorite, consists ONLY of: a butter-grilled New England style hotdog bun (and ONLY this style, haha), loaded with chunks of hot buttered lobster. I'll allow maybe a shake of celery salt on top of mine, or some old bay in the lobster cooking water (if you steam or boil), but that's it; most purists would argue there is only to be the bun, the lobster, and the butter, and preferably that the lobster is boiled in sea water; any additional additives would make it a "New England Style", but more on that later. I make them at home for under $3 a piece (having access to the water, and fishing docks, it's not uncommon to pay $3-$4 a pound for fresh, live lobster), but it is common throughout CT to spend $20+ for one in a restaurant, and they are seemingly available everywhere in the summer, even McDonalds (seriously...). Basically preparation and attention to the most minute details is key here, as people swear their favorite place makes them better than someone else's favorite place, when they are all basically the same. This is basically all about the presentation of the lobster, and the texture of the buttered, grilled bun. Usually served with French fries, but not always. Less is more and all that..

New England Style lobster rolls are traditionally "lobster meat salad" (chunked lobster meat, mayonnaise, maybe some chopped celery, and maybe some other flavoring (lemon juice, white pepper, celery salt, cayenne pepper, etc.) served cold in a steamed, butter-grilled, or even plain hot dog bun. Usually served with Cape Cod potato chips on the side. Obviously, the addition of the mayo and the other flavorings makes the preparation key, and they are vastly different from restaurant to restaurant, as everybody has their own idea of what "perfection" is. I rarely ever have this style, as I feel the other ingredients just take away from the simplicity of the lobster.

Despite my vastly differing political ideas from most of my neighbors, I can say without a doubt, that most of us would agree that as a whole, New England has the world's best seafood, and CT specifically, pizza. There's almost literally a mom and pop seafood or pizza joint on every corner, and they are all phenomenal.

Now the fillet roll...that's a whole new realm of awesomeness I'll have to explore when I have leftovers. I'm imagining a buttered grilled bun, paper thin slices of fillet, and maybe some hot butter/au jus/mayo-horseradish sauce sparingly drizzled on top would be out of this world.

Now I'm hungry.

Back to HEP!

#3656 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

CT style sounds like the way to go. However, hard to find fresh/affordable lobster here in the heart of Texas. To throw a little Texas into the mix, what if I grilled the lobster instead of boiling/steaming it? I might also like it in a flour tortilla, but now I'm changing too much.

Canned frozen may be the way to go, if available in your area. Lobster freezes incredibly well, so I wouldn't worry about it being tough or anything, and I would expect to pay about $18 a pound, but you literally don't have to do anything but warm it up and add butter, as it's already been shelled.

As for the tortilla, it's your expensive ocean cockroach meat (a New England joke there...), do with it as you please! Having lived here all of my life, I've had every permutation of lobster you could imagine; yet I still find myself returning to enjoying it the 2 most easiest and non-complicated ways - boiled/steamed/grilled/broiled in the shell, then dipping the meat in butter, then using the leftovers for lobster rolls the next day...

I was shocked to see what the price of lobster is to the rest of the country after looking at what the prices are from the site HEP posted; on average, it's around $9.99/lb in the winter (hard shell time of year prior to molting, so the shell is PACKED with meat), and anywhere from $3.99-$6.99/lb in the summer (when they have a soft shell after molting, which is super easy to crack open, but less meat inside as they haven't grown into their shell yet). On the docks, you can usually grab a baker's dozen of chickens (pound and a quarter to pound and a half size) for $30 and a twelve pack of beer. Every now and then when there is a glut of them, a local regional retailer (Stew Leonard's) will run them at what I'm guessing is a loss leader at $2.99/lb for 1 1/4's. I've had times during these sales where I have told my wife "can I just make a cheeseburger on the grill?" for dinner because I have actually gotten sick of eating lobster at every meal.

I guess this is the only regard in which we are "spoiled"; I'd certainly swap lobster prices and availability for the income and property tax rates down in Texas any day though!

#3658 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

They are alive when you receive them? How do they keep them alive without shipping them in water?

They usually overnight ship them with cold packs and damp paper towels; they can survive a day or two as long as they are damp/moist in cold temps. I never really thought about it, but I'm betting the cold temperature slows their metabolism/breathing/heart rate wwwwaaaaayyyyyy down like other cold blooded creatures.

7 months later
#5995 4 years ago

Congrats to the boy!

My favorite thread on all of pinside; I really appreciate your explanations and reasoning behind the things you do and the techniques you use, it’s a real inspiration seeing your work.

I’ve also taken a few of your beer suggestions, haha.

Cheers!

605D7395-807B-4821-B1C6-585A9B008190 (resized).jpeg605D7395-807B-4821-B1C6-585A9B008190 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grandnational007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18?tu=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.