IMG_0878 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #142 Alien repair completed Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #621 COMPLETED: Grand Prix Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #645 Tip Time with Chris - Compressor used for cabinet painting Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #651 Tip Time with Chris - Guide coating (part 1) Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #726 COMPLETED: Indiana Jones:The Pinball Adventure Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #803 A brief history of HEP Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #826 COMPLETED: Tommy Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1228 COMPLETED: Addams Family Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1287 Rebuilding a backbox lampboard Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Post #1430 Head and Cabinet stripping and repair process Posted by High_End_Pins (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gcs2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2107 5 years ago

Love seeing your work Chris. Great job as always.

1 week later
#2332 5 years ago

I find that series of posts and pics absolutely hilarious and I probably shouldn't

#2387 5 years ago

I like it. I was thinking the blue door looked good but needed some accents on it (think pinstriping on a car). I am digging the orange outline for sure. The gray hmmm .... its good but not sure its perfect. I would keep the orange outline and blue door though.

#2472 5 years ago

He is decked out in Whirlwind blue!

And I think the coin door looks great now.

#2538 5 years ago

Now this is cool. Will be watching to see how this turns out. BTW is this added proto feature just a VUK that spits the ball back on the PF or does it do something else?

2 weeks later
#2707 5 years ago

Nice games very sorry to hear of the passing. I am sure others can help with the values of the games. As you already know something you restored will have a fair bit of additional value added to it.

#2716 5 years ago

That was one well used TSPP - that cab is/was rough. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

#2766 5 years ago

Looks great to me

#2786 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Pinball Magic is packed up.
14 years after arrival.

14 years to get a game done, what the ... hope you charged a storage fee

#2790 5 years ago

I can't even imagine the amount of time Banzai Run would take in wiring alone, much less everything else.

#2823 5 years ago

Yard sale?

1 week later
#2932 5 years ago

Chris how nervous do you get when the game gets turned over to the shipper? I would hate to let some of these guys handle a game I had restored by HEP.

#2947 5 years ago

Just love the color and artwork of Fathom. Pretty decent game as well but that artwork!

#2977 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ventilation parts for the new building.
LTG : )

Leave it open like in the last pic and its got all the ventilation it needs!

1 week later
#3042 5 years ago

Chris what's your take on Radcals?

1 week later
#3139 5 years ago

Thanks guys.
Kid has no filter at all can be a challenge at a restaurant or the grocery store especially these last 10 years

Then he is just like my 75 year old mother

Happy Birthday to him!

2 months later
#3941 4 years ago

I know the feeling on the tree. We had one in our front yard that did just that in storm. Missed the house by inches. Odd when it was removed but we got used to it very quickly and now don't even realize it was there before.

1 month later
#4588 4 years ago

Just curiosity question ... how many times have you been doing this kind of work and got completely stumped on how to repair something or put it back together. And I mean really stumped like had to back off take a day or 2 and come back and deal with it. I know you always get it done no matter what but as I marvel at the details of what you do I cannot help but think how many times I would have just lost it and abandon all hope of getting something back together/fixed. Clearly its why I don't do this kind of work.

5 months later
#6092 4 years ago

Wow what a massive pain in the ass!

1 week later
#6155 4 years ago

I am always more impressed with how you bring back the older games vs newer ones (all the IJs, MMs, MBs, etc). Especially like seeing how you have to come up with ways to "skin the cat" and problem solve difficult situations. Clearly your eye for detail is uncanny. I am guessing you are a little OCD as well based on your meticulous work and how organized and clean your shop seems to be.

Well done!

4 weeks later
#6388 4 years ago

How do you get the guides back in w/o messing up the finish on them - hand forced?

#6425 4 years ago

Chris does your talent extend to drawings or paintings at all. I mean your painting skill is insane when looking at what you are doing here so it has me curious.

Amazing work for sure, something I could never do or understand how to do.

#6480 4 years ago

The Fathom's so bright I gotta wear shades ...

Love the art on this game and it always looks good after a redo like this.

1 month later
#6749 3 years ago

What's the silver gray cab with the lady silhouette haven't seen that before.

1 month later
#7148 3 years ago

I have to admit the black on this looks very good

#7179 3 years ago

Decided to spend a minute with the Silhouette
I have now convinced Marshall that I have been certified by Chick-Fil-a and that anything that comes out of the air fryer is officially chick fil a
The mans autistic. He has quirks and verifications go a long way.
[quoted image]

Nice work and very smart!

4 weeks later
#7396 3 years ago

I usually have the opposite problem.
My accountants seem to have little understanding of my business and it’s expenses so I tend to overpay.
It’s not their fault it is just hard for them to get.
For about two years I noticed my furniture and office fixtures kept growing in my fixed assets.
I had this line called cabinets and it was like $15k Or so at that time.
I asked WTH!
They said “it’s all those cabinets you keep buying. “
I said “they are PINBALL cabinets not furniture for the office!!!!!!!!“
Another thing I had an issue with was my Automotive Expenses.
The were listed as $30K or so one year.
I don’t have any auto expenses!
Again “I ask WTH!“
They tell me “Ohh that’s all the money spent at the auto supply place”
I say “that is where I get my paint to paint those cabinets!“
Running a business like this as legitimately as humanly possible is extremely tough sometimes.

Not to get into your business but this is exactly why you need a new accountant. I am in the business (and no I am not marketing to you just passing on advice) and can tell you that would never happen at my firm. The first thing an accountant should be doing is asking you questions about your business and your transactions. In order to properly do your work and provide appropriate tax advice they need to understand what you do. No that doesn't mean they need to know how you do your job but they need to grasp the concept of your business and how you not only make money but spend it as well.

I don't bad mouth other accountants or firms but it drives me crazy when I hear/read things like above. It means people aren't talking to their clients and getting to know them. Accounting is a personal service business plain and simple and if you don't get to know your clients or what they do then you aren't doing your job right. Its not just about numbers on a piece of paper.

#7401 3 years ago

Yeah. Trust me I have debated getting a new one for years but I finally trained this one and would hate to start all over.
What I figured out to do was just go over every statement(I only have three) and put the category each purchase or check should fall into before I hand it over to them.
Just takes me a couple of minutes once a month and has solved most issues.
If this place were bigger or more lucrative I would definitely demand better though.

I hear ya. Just bear in mind you are paying for a service and if you aren't getting service then ....

If you have questions and would like a second opinion just message me otherwise keep crankin' out the beautiful work.

Greg

#7453 3 years ago

Just curious but with all the years of doing this do you have a "favorite" game you like restoring and is there one you just loathe when you see it show up?

1 month later
#7651 3 years ago

I'm probably the only one but I actually liked the look of the cab w/o the blue. Just the red silver and black looked great to me.

#7670 3 years ago

Interesting to watch this one unfold. Is this the "newest" (ie year) game you have done?

#7737 3 years ago

Would it not have been better to do powder coating? This seems like a ton of work for you.

#7740 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation.

7 months later
#9069 3 years ago

wow I dig that black version, really nice looking

1 year later
#12192 1 year ago

not sure if I should say congrats or sorry ...

#12201 1 year ago

I’m not a wood guy but how does that happen. Bad wood to start with assembled wrong? And no dense I wouldn’t think a cabinet maker would let that product out of their shop.

#12230 1 year ago

Always amazed by Chris' work for sure but I often wonder is all this "repainting" on a PF like this one especially with the cuts in the PF that you mentioned from the mylar that was added - worth it vs a new PF.

Of course I am aware (thanks to this thread) about how many of the replacement PFs can be as bad or worse then what you are starting with sometimes.

Still a pleasure seeing these games go from trash to treasure.

#12235 1 year ago

It’s hard to say or justify sometimes.
Even harder to explain mostly situational.
A new playfield is the point of least resistance.
Even when made sometimes they go out of stock,have flaws that make them less ideal than a rework and then sometimes people really want the original redone.
I don’t have a preference if the playfield is actually restoreable within my skill set I like new just fine when practical.
In this case new playfields are likely out of stock until mid May or I pay way over the going rate for one that’s at a retailer with unknown accountability if it’s a dud.
By the time that’s sorted out I can have this one done so that’s its individual situation.

Yep makes sense. Only you know the time it all takes and your skill set - mine would be how much will it cost me for someone to do this as I don't have those skills.

Appreciate the explanation.

BTW I have always wondered what is the game you have redone that you said WTF why is someone spending all this money to restore _____________? Just curious. I mean get rare games like Krull, KK, Airborne etc and then legends like MM, AFM, TAF, MB, CC and so on but has someone come along and said I want Chris Hutchins restored Popeye?

#12239 1 year ago

I really look at all these games about the same the titles don’t mean much to me because it’s pretty much the same process on the same subject matter.
What makes one more “worthy” than another is solely based on what the overall hobby dictates are the best ones but I am still straightening wooden boxes,painting,clearing wiring rebuilding mechs etc.
The pictures, shapes bells and whistles don’t factor in too much beyond that.
The game I was most resistant to restore was this woodrail. I knew it would cost a lot more than normal and would have far less value in the hobby but not to the person that owned it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/140#post-5662167

I remember that one. And yes I agree if you have the money and the game means a lot to you then do it.

For us it would be a Silverball Mania fully decked to keep forever (if we had space and $$) as it was the first game we ever owned. Lots of memories for us.

#12264 1 year ago

That is a game that looks superb in the gold treatment IMHO

1 week later
#12300 1 year ago

So old school CC ramps don't exist you have to use remake ramps or was this a choice that was made. Just curious.

#12304 1 year ago

CC is gone.
HEP Banzai Run is back for a ten year repack.
[quoted image]

well this will be interesting to watch for sure

4 weeks later
#12468 11 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Not an expert but Klein are magnetic and that is a huge help especially the long ones

Klein is great but not cheap. Being magnetic is a huge help though.

1 month later
#12635 9 months ago

Gotta wonder if this one was even worth saving. The ratio of new parts going into this game vs old parts being reused has to be like 90/10, yikes.

Good luck with it.

#12671 9 months ago

Just curious what is your wait time between paint coats on both cabinets and metal parts?

6 months later
#13804 3 months ago

It's all about the bling (although I do like my lighted flipper buttons too)

Very nice though.

#13823 3 months ago

Chris when you do STTNG restores and are going for the black armor etc do you powder coat or paint them?

If powder do you recall the color?

Thanks

#13825 3 months ago

It’s a straight gloss black.
I try to avoid any custom trim colors because they can be impossible to match again if needed unless it’s something I am painting.
When it comes to the black parts sometimes I use powder coated ones but more often than not these days I metal etch,epoxy prime base and clear raw steel parts myself because powder never looks quite slick enough and often has an unacceptable amount of trash in it.

Thank you.

#13827 3 months ago

About to redo a speaker panel for STTNG and need to save the panel plastic. Any recommendations on how to get it off safely?

#13847 3 months ago

I have shuffled deck.
[quoted image]

These aren't both for the same person are they?

#13852 3 months ago

I am digging the Total Chaos cab, really I am.

#13855 3 months ago

Thanks.
Much more challenging than the one beside it on so many different levels but I think the majority of those challenges are behind me now.

Are these going to the same person meaning they will have an OG WW and then Total Chaos?

#13857 3 months ago

No they are for different people.
Someone would have to really love Whirlwind to do that but it would be cool.

Well you never know there are some crazy collectors out there and you probably know most of them, lol.

Can I ask question about the STTNG you did a few months ago with the separate PSU for the colorDMD and the Borg ship.

I would like to do the same. I figure this PSU would do the job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7EZM8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1

How did you wire the colorDMD to it? The colorDMD folks are telling me not to as it needs to share power with the display board.

Thanks

#13859 3 months ago

Yes that is a good power supply it provides the 12 and 5 volts.
You can make individual taps coming off a single line like I did on TAF or buy the splitter from PinballLife where you plug a single line coming off the power supply to the splitter then that feeds everything else.
Not sure where the colordmd guys are coming from on that it shouldn’t matter as long as the power supply is on the switched side but I am sure they have to worry about a lot of variables.
When you’re dealing with these games with multiple mods using the power driver as the lone source for the 12 and 5 volts it leads to problems.
I can think of none from separating them from the driver.

Thanks. On STTNG I think it’s prime candidate for doing what you did as that game is so taxed power wise already it doesn’t need anything else hitting it.

#13862 3 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

There is only one reason I can think of for this recommendation. The DMC (dot matrix controller) sends digital logic signals out over the ribbon cable to the DMD (dot matrix display). Digital logic is either logic low (0V) or logic high (5V). The reference voltage level is ground. If you separate the voltage supply for the DMC (controller) from the DMD (display) they MUST have the same ground reference since there are shared signals between the two boards. If the supplemental supply does not share the same ground reference then you will end up with different logic levels for the signals and possibly damage to the boards. If someone can do then someone will do it.

This is absolutely correct. The game has 16x opto pairs in the playfield, 7x opto pairs in the ball trough and 4x opto pairs in the flipper cabinet switches. Each transmitter is driven hard at around 0.040A (40mA). That's 27 x 0.040A = 1.08A. That's 1/3 of the allowed current draw from the +12VU circuit right there, just for the transmitters. That doesn't account for everything else used in the circuit (the receiver side circuitry as well as the motors for the cannons).

Good explanation that actually makes sense to a nonelectrical dummy like me. I guess my concern is the normal pinball owner will not be able to accomplish this but a more experienced tech like Chris its not a problem.

FYI here is the exact email reply I got from them just so there is no confusion with what I am trying to pass on here.

"We don’t have any direct experience with auxiliary power supply installations. We haven’t ever needed them and don’t really recommend running the ColorDMD off an auxiliary supply. Since data communication is required between the ColorDMD and display board, it’s generally better if they are running off a common supply.

Auxiliary supplies are generally better for LED lighting and other mods that don’t need to communicate with the game.

If you do use an auxiliary supply to power the ColorDMD, the ColorDMD power requirement is 12V and less than 1 amp."

#13867 3 months ago

If its this PSU from Pinside it says it ties back to J118 on Williams games. Would that solve the grounding issue?

Ad specifically states for using with colorDMD

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1233-arcade-upkeep/03718-dual-voltage-mod-power-supply-kit

#13871 3 months ago

The translite is just ok but I think the whole package is looking quite good.

#13878 3 months ago

High_End_Pins Additional question on your STTNG restore again please.

You mentioned you preferred the old spring style for the flipper buttons vs the plastic ones and that it was a direct swap to do this.

I just want to be sure this is correct part.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316

Thanks

#13880 3 months ago

Those are fine.
I personally like these the type 1 with the all metal interrupter best. I have no issues running them on IJs and STTNGs.
The ones with plastic interrupter without the spring steel are pretty much worthless.
https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-1-flipper-opto-board-set.html

Very good thanks!

1 week later
#13898 78 days ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:There probably is something good in there and a couple black widows.

And a Rocky BG too

#13905 77 days ago

They really don’t make them like they used to do they?
Six jet bumpers
Three flippers
Two drop target assemblies
Two ramps one that lifts
Three spinning disc and a blower on top.
Not bad

Its Total Chaos I tell you

1 week later
#13964 67 days ago

Thanks. I was moisturizing back then.

Proper skin care should never be overlooked

#13970 66 days ago

We are at an impasse right now.
He doesn’t like my behavior and I don’t give a fuck.

Make sure to tell him you (and many others) don't like his behavior - not that he cares.

1 week later
#14063 57 days ago

As you said in your videos the PF really needs a total repaint which I won't be doing .... umm looks like its headed that way, lol.

Nice work no matter what though.

#14075 57 days ago

Just curious how many hours would you say you have into redoing the playfield

#14084 56 days ago

I like the solid yellow tbh.

If this was my game I would be more than happy to have the fresh redone PF as it is here vs how rough it was before. No NOS or repro PF around for it then this is the only choice.

2 weeks later
#14235 38 days ago

That’s great that you can provide an income for not only yourself but also your sisters. Definitely a struggle under these current circumstances where business rules and regulations are so geared towards bigger operations with lots of cushion. It’s hard to get there on such a small scale.
When I first started I brought my brother (RIP)in, it went so bad I hesitate to ever tell the story but will one day.

Try working with your sister and your wife in the business you own for the last 25 years. Probably not the smartest move.

And oh yeah be thankful your accountant has not charged you. Its what I do for a living and no way could I afford to do that. I have regular fights with clients over my fees almost every day and I charge nowhere near what others do in my area. Of course I am blamed for everything that happens them as well especially at this time of year (14-16 hour days 7 days a week for 3 1/2 months).

That being said I am not complaining and am very thankful for what I have - wife, 2 kids, a good home, and food on the table. Kids are now done with college - one completely on her own (well except for that car she just bought this weekend) and the other will be by the end the year. Of course now we have the opposite effect as we had to have my mom move in with us and are now caring for her - circle of life I guess.

There are major pluses to owning your own business but there is also something about working that 9-5 and just going the hell home each day and leaving that BS behind. Can't do that when its all on you.

#14333 32 days ago

On a scale of 1-10 that hit a 15 on the rent meter.

I get it though. The BS I get about what I do and people not wanting to pay their bill is ridiculous. Even sadder is the clients that come to me from someone else who did absolutely horrible job and charged the person 3X what I do and get away with it. If I could get what some of these guys get for I would have maybe 1/3 the clients I do work a lot less hours and be a lot happier with the same money.

But yeah today’s video was a world class rant. Dare I say a High End Rant

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gcs2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18?tu=gcs2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.