IMG_1149 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1169 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1140 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1129 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1141 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1098 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,761 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 296.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Misfits skull on the helmet! You've certainly taken their DIY ethos to heart

yea, misfits are a great clothing line! (inside joke for everyone that's not a millenial

#252 5 years ago

The major repairs are done to the head so I can start doing the minor repairs.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#253 5 years ago

This thread just keeps moving and moving! I miss 2 days and there's 100+ posts! Really awesome to see the pf work done on Grand Prix and all of the cabinet rework done. I wish I had a 1/10 of this skill!

#254 5 years ago

Particle wood frame is a pain to get nice and straight.
Broke out the big block.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#255 5 years ago

Head down s ready to prime.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Now for the lower.

#256 5 years ago

Lower stripped. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Besides this area in the back the floor is acceptable.

#257 5 years ago

Paint paddles are glue in to fill the void in the particle wood
After it sets up I will cut the shape then fill the entire back edge in with the fiberglass filler.
Other minor spots are glued and clamped.

#258 5 years ago

That paint paddle fill in idea is brilliant! I will use this on my Sorcerer cabinet as I work on it now. Its missing some underneath just like your Grand Prix. Always learning here!

#259 5 years ago

So when you repainted the yellow I guess you just mask around the number area and do no paint around each individual number? That makes sense as I thought you went around each specific digit and painted. That would take FOREVER and almost be impossible to have it look right.

Nice work.

B50ABFF5-D1F9-4AD6-9EDF-0BE0519815C3 (resized).jpegB50ABFF5-D1F9-4AD6-9EDF-0BE0519815C3 (resized).jpeg
#260 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So when you repainted the yellow I guess you just mask around the number area and do no paint around each individual number? That makes sense as I thought you went around each specific digit and painted. That would take FOREVER and almost be impossible to have it look right.
Nice work. [quoted image]

Thank you
Yes that is how it was done on this playfield.
Trying to cut something like those commas out for instance would just gouge the playfield up too much and if the masking material even stayed put from the cut out it would probably blow right off during the spraying.
On some colors the method can look almost perfect on others like yellow or white that is impossible so I am looking for improvement and acceptable in those cases.
On this playfield specifically it will never look truly perfect in the lettering or numbers because there is an age and swirling in the background of them.
These type of restorations are kind of like plastic surgery.
You have a 40 year old patient that wants to look like they are 20 again but there are limitations.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Thank you
Yes that is how it was done on this playfield.
Trying to cut something like those commas out for instance would just gouge the playfield up too much and if the masking material even stayed put from the cut out it would probably blow right off during the spraying.
On some colors the method can look almost perfect on others like yellow or white that is impossible so I am looking for improvement and acceptable in those cases.
On this playfield specifically it will never look truly perfect in the lettering or numbers because there is an age and swirling in the background of them.
These type of restorations are kind of like plastic surgery.
You have a 40 year old patient that wants to look like they are 20 again but there are limitations.

Haha. Great analogy. Hopefully someday I can get this kind of treatment on my Grand Prix. And possibly my Jungle Queen.

Keep up the good work!

#262 5 years ago

The paddles are shaved down. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

A tape line is run to protect the floor. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The fiberglass filler is intermixed with the standard filler to make it a little easier to work with for this repair because there is limited room to sand within the recess area.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#263 5 years ago

Dinner is served.
A bowl of oatmeal,chicken,carrots,broccoli,avocado, and almonds.
It is all about nutrients.
[quoted image]

The Tom Brady of pinball restoration.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinsterwmass:

The Tom Brady of pinball restoration.

I wouldn't insult him like that. Brady's a has been.

#265 5 years ago

The first fill is cut to shape. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

It will take one more to build the corners up.

#266 5 years ago

The second fill is cut to shape and that repair is complete. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

A slight bevel is created on the leading edge so it cannot easily be chipped out if being moved around along with a slight wedge on the repaired corners for the same reasons.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#267 5 years ago

Metal plate is temporarily removed

It will be cleaned up and reinstalled later.

#268 5 years ago

The previous nail holes from the side rails are filled with the fiberglass filler.
I prefer to make my own based on how I want the rails to align.

#269 5 years ago

All the cosmetic repairs needed are marked in pencil. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Then filled.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#270 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

bitter

#271 5 years ago

Corners are nice and sharp now.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

o-din's got a point. heck, the lions beat him last week

#273 5 years ago

Working on the inside now.
Some people ask why I paint the side walls in full instead of just partially down

More often than not there are things that need filler or are ugly.
This cabinet is a good example
Stains

Voids in the wood. This one is about 2 feet long. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Sanding filling and neatly painting will be an upgrade.

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

o-din's got a point. heck, the lions beat him last week

really bitter

#275 5 years ago

Cabinet is finally ready to prime. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

There is no need for me to mask the topside of the floor because I need to paint the cash box area and the rest is covered completely by the mech tray image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Head is in good order. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will metal etch and prime the rear panel for the head and cabinet metal plate because I am going to refinish those as well.

#276 5 years ago

Metal etched.

#277 5 years ago

Mylars removed. [quoted image]
The playfield is chemically cleaned which won’t do much on a heavily swirled playfield like this. [quoted image]
Then lightly scuffed up.
The thing about a playfield like this is every time you clean or scuff you create more work but you have to do it to get the surface ready to clear.
[quoted image]

What do you use to lightly scuff up the playfield?

#278 5 years ago

Grand Prix Cabinet primed and guidecoated.
What a day but it is all about the accomplishments sometimes not the time spent.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#279 5 years ago

I have a really rough Grand Prix that I want to send to HEP someday. Just waiting for my options to vest at work or to have a distant uncle bequeath me a big bag of money. Love your work dude.

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from djh00000:

That's great!!!
Thanks!!
Dan

Chris is the best and was the only person I would send a machine to for these repairs, better than new.

Great Job Chris.

#281 5 years ago

We made it to another Friday.

Today I am ambitious and focused on Grand Prix.

I hope to get the cabinet sanded and painted as well as the playfield.

We will see how close I get to accomplishing that

First step is getting the messy things done first so that is sanding starting with the cabinet and the cabinet parts.

#282 5 years ago

the ADD in me wants to drive down and just clean up all your festool tools

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#283 5 years ago

Your sanding always seems to go incredibly fast and turn out perfectly. I realize that is hard won skill coupled with super good tools. From a practical detail perspective, what grits do you typically step through on the initial stripping? After that, what grit(s) do you typically use for perfecting the primer?

#284 5 years ago

Cabinet is sanded and accessories sanded.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Your sanding always seems to go incredibly fast and turn out perfectly. I realize that is hard won skill coupled with super good tools. From a practical detail perspective, what grits do you typically step through on the initial stripping? After that, what grit(s) do you typically use for perfecting the primer?

Stripping usually 80 grit
Filler work 80/180
Ready to prime 180

Sanding primer 320

Sanding clear to clear again 600

#286 5 years ago

At what point do you decide to replace a cabinet vs repair it? It seems like you put a lot of work in repairing this cabinet. Would it not have been more time/cost effective to replace it instead?

#287 5 years ago

Now I can sand the playfield

I need to do the white to clean it up and build it up to the level of the previous repaints image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will face those same lettering challenges we saw in the yellow and will do my best to interpret and make lines that flow around the things I cannot individually mask. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I will also do the green and have that challenge as well as the teal.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

At what point do you decide to replace a cabinet vs repair it? It seems like you put a lot of work in repairing this cabinet. Would it not have been more time/cost effective to replace it instead?

More often than not I replace cabinets but some cabinets like this are one off restorations for me so *if* I feel like I can salvage it I will to keep things moving.

In order to have this cabinet built I would need to hand it off to the builder and wait at least a month or so then when I get it back I would need a to really scrutinize so many details that it just doesn’t make sense on this project.

More common restores I do like Centaurs,Fathoms,IJs,TAFs and many more I have samples parked at the builder so it is just a matter of ordering.

Restorations like the Spirit where I am doing 3 it makes more sense to provide a sample and wait for as well.

#289 5 years ago

Playfield is sanded and cleaned.

#290 5 years ago

Working on a match for the teallike color.

It is a process. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Started here. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Settled here after some tinting image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

It isn’t just about the color it is about the drabness of the aging that has to get factored in so the colors will pop but not clash too hard with the background of the letters and numbers.

#291 5 years ago

Teal is sprayed 2E8238A2-D89A-4A52-A799-9D61C1FFB5FB (resized).jpeg2E8238A2-D89A-4A52-A799-9D61C1FFB5FB (resized).jpeg

Then unmasked. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Not too bad all things considered.

#292 5 years ago

How come you dont paint over the numbers then use waterslide decals to put them back on after?

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

How come you dont paint over the numbers then use waterslide decals to put them back on after?

Two reasons for me that are most influential are

I can’t turn every thing I touch into a total ordeal or else I wouldn’t get anything out the door. These games have owners that would like to get them back.

That would be a lot of decals to bury in clear coat which would look nice but cause potential problems with everything from gameplay to longer term cracking.

#294 5 years ago

Two reasons for me that are most influential are
I can’t turn every thing I touch into an total ordeal or else I wouldn’t get anything out the door. These games have owners that would like to get them back.
That would be a lot of decals to bury in clear coat which would look nice but cause potential problems with everything from gameplay to longer term cracking.

thanks!!! That makes sense. Keep up the amazing work.

#295 5 years ago

Now the white.
7A264113-384C-4413-94BC-B9E25796B13D (resized).jpeg7A264113-384C-4413-94BC-B9E25796B13D (resized).jpeg
I am going to take two different approaches to that.

I am goin to make an aged newspaper like shade for the areas with lettering because putting bright white around those would look really obvious.
ABE414B3-DF57-4DBA-A29D-2351CE0B3F7C (resized).jpegABE414B3-DF57-4DBA-A29D-2351CE0B3F7C (resized).jpeg
66A77BA8-CF61-4548-8A07-8CFFAE1BA75B (resized).jpeg66A77BA8-CF61-4548-8A07-8CFFAE1BA75B (resized).jpeg
Newspaper shade sprayed in the lettered areas only.

527397B8-C815-44C3-9AA8-4E620CBE59B9 (resized).jpeg527397B8-C815-44C3-9AA8-4E620CBE59B9 (resized).jpeg9E0C5657-A931-42B6-8CA0-07D777DB5AB6 (resized).jpeg9E0C5657-A931-42B6-8CA0-07D777DB5AB6 (resized).jpeg
#296 5 years ago

Bright white in the art and GI type areas.
This step will visually add an extra color to the playfield but I think it will look cleaner overall and is a solution to a problem.

6E04F3BD-5CF3-4CBE-ADB1-521C1820778E (resized).jpeg6E04F3BD-5CF3-4CBE-ADB1-521C1820778E (resized).jpeg78B9D32D-63FE-42AA-9FD4-4FAAD39AF56A (resized).jpeg78B9D32D-63FE-42AA-9FD4-4FAAD39AF56A (resized).jpegD78366E2-01FB-42B0-AA7D-8ED7CA6FFE78 (resized).jpegD78366E2-01FB-42B0-AA7D-8ED7CA6FFE78 (resized).jpeg
#297 5 years ago

Let’s see how it went

Now unmasked.

I am happy with it and expect it to look more seamless once cleared as the edges get buried.

#298 5 years ago

Ahhh. No saucer kickout wear!! Lovely.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No saucer kickout wear!! Lovely.

I was thinking the same, this entire machine is very clean considering its, uh hum,... age.

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ahhh. No saucer kickout wear!! Lovely.

It did have a little from the eject but the saucer itself is nice and within shape.

D3050E41-4FEC-452E-8C49-D2913F351BCF (resized).pngD3050E41-4FEC-452E-8C49-D2913F351BCF (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 14,761 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 296.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.