IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0834 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0830 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0832 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0829 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,724 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 295.
#2451 5 years ago

My pinball transport slider has had it so I will build a new one.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2452 5 years ago

New one is built.
A bit more heavy duty. DC8A5338-B14E-41B4-8A74-91E7D3699CA2 (resized).jpegDC8A5338-B14E-41B4-8A74-91E7D3699CA2 (resized).jpeg

Used some old protectors as slides. EE748FAF-AABB-4007-95BC-527BE62DC517 (resized).jpegEE748FAF-AABB-4007-95BC-527BE62DC517 (resized).jpeg
Only on the leading edge. I want it to slide but also plant when in transit.
F909574A-50E5-4BF8-AB1B-4B022CC0781F (resized).jpegF909574A-50E5-4BF8-AB1B-4B022CC0781F (resized).jpeg

Ready to test it.
Taking Radical to the workshop. 94D1061C-2838-48B4-A2CB-034D796466EA (resized).jpeg94D1061C-2838-48B4-A2CB-034D796466EA (resized).jpeg

#2453 5 years ago

Radical is loaded.
The new slider works well.
Too well this bubble wrapped cabinet pushed it more than anything but I prefer to keep the cabinet safe so I don’t want to remove the bubble wrap until I am ready to set it up.

97523EA1-5FE5-4D8F-8A64-147FB177ECA9 (resized).jpeg97523EA1-5FE5-4D8F-8A64-147FB177ECA9 (resized).jpeg
#2454 5 years ago

Radical will be a cool restore, what HEP week will this be featured?

#2455 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Radical will be a cool restore, what HEP week will this be featured?

No telling but it is now officially in the house !

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2456 5 years ago

Awesome!

#2457 5 years ago

In 18 years I have done two Radicals.
One was in the very early days before I fully understood the problems with clearcoating non Diamond plated System 11 playfields.

The other was s true prototype with the extra sling shot and wireform chute.

This one looks to be something in the middle.
First off the cabinet colors are excellent. Very rare to see an unfaded version. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

With the exception of a little leg wrinkling and one drill in the front couple typical bumps or bruises it is pretty much ideal

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2458 5 years ago

My normal stipulation on System 11 games that I take in are that they either have replacement playfields available or if not that they are Diamond Plated.

I wish I could be more open on that but System 11 playfield inserts normally go to shit once cleared and the act of stripping the inserts,clearing,sanding, re lettering,clearing sanding clearing sanding and on is just not something I can make time for nor charge enough or little enough to make it work for all involved.

This one is Diamond plated.
Very important image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The game looks really nice as a starting platform.

#2459 5 years ago

Which game have you restored the most times? I am going to guess TAF. Do you keep those types of records?

Thanks

Gerry

#2460 5 years ago

Looks like fun in here

That TSPP will be in pieces shortly.
I wasn’t really familiar with the game so I have been studying it a bit and kicking it around.
It is important to know as much as you can prior to starting in those cases.

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Which game have you restored the most times? I am going to guess TAF. Do you keep those types of records?
Thanks
Gerry

I lost count on many.
Best guess is TZ,TAF,IJ,MM
The Bally Solid States are catching up slowly Centaur,Fathom EBD

#2462 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

...System 11 playfield inserts normally go to shit once cleared...

So...what exactly happens to the inserts? Is what happens peculiar to non-diamond plate system 11 or does it apply to other generations of machines as well?

#2463 5 years ago

Thinking about adding the prototype features back in on the Radical I have most of what I need and the desire but need this to do it factory style.
Let me know if you have one.
Open to trades for items listed in this thread or whatever is preferrred to get my hands on one within reason.

#2464 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

So...what exactly happens to the inserts? Is what happens peculiar to non-diamond plate system 11 or does it apply to other generations of machines as well?

It seems primarily to happen to System 11 playfields.
The inserts look good the first few days after clear and as they cure little white specs start to appear.
This is the insert screening basically being chemically stripped from the lens by the curing process and why it takes a few days to show up.
Why it is such a phenomenon on System 11 playfields is hard to say.
Likely a specific coating or process used on them that does not play or interact well with modern day automotive clearcoats.
I think this restore covers it. I have definitely documented it over the years but I do remember dealing with it on the NOS playfield used on this SOF.
Was a pretty involved restore overall and definitely deserves a read if you like this sort of thing
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album204

#2465 5 years ago

I have definitely documented it over the years but I do remember dealing with it on the NOS playfield used on this SOF.
Was a pretty involved restore overall and definitely deserves a read if you like this sort of thing

That is a totally awesome gallery!

#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

That is a totally awesome gallery!

Agreed! Kinda makes you fully understand the time and expense behind a properly repaired and cleared PF.

#2467 5 years ago

I’ve seen “after restorations” that look like your “before restoration” pics

#2468 5 years ago

Gray door was sanded a bit smoother and then lightly specked with the cabinet blue.
It was also cleared again with the exact same clear and ratios of matte for a nice consistent gloss level from one part to the next.the specks are subtle and help diffuse the plain gray.

I like it well enough to proceed and will use clear slots likely.

Marshall walks in to tell me bye before he leaves for school.
Had to take his picture next to it.
Too much of a coincidence.

6F6AD09F-2643-42B7-8C99-1FA56426BFC1 (resized).jpeg6F6AD09F-2643-42B7-8C99-1FA56426BFC1 (resized).jpeg
#2469 5 years ago

The glass channel receiver was painted and cleared to match the cabinet also.

Just disappears that way.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2470 5 years ago

Marshall walks in to tell me bye before he leaves for school.
Had to take his picture next to it.
Too much of a coincidence.

How cold/warm is it in NC these days as he is wearing only t-shirt and shorts

#2471 5 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

How cold/warm is it in NC these days as he is wearing only t-shirt and shorts

Going to be 78 today and sunny
He is autistic and only wants to wear shorts almost year round.That guy will be 19 in a couple more months. Can be difficult!!!

#2472 5 years ago

He is decked out in Whirlwind blue!

And I think the coin door looks great now.

#2473 5 years ago

I have built up a power box for the special Whirlwind with a new cord,and nickel plated parts.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2474 5 years ago

Quoted from High_End_Pins:Going to be 78 today and sunny
He is autistic and only wants to wear shorts almost year round.That guy will be 19 in a couple more months. Can be difficult!!!

I see...on the other hand side he is used to the cold then, which is a good thing.

Back on topic...i really like the new color of the coin door!

#2475 5 years ago

Do your boys care about pinball at all or is it just something dad does to pay the bills?

#2476 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Do your boys care about pinball at all or is it just something dad does to pay the bills?

They really don’t have much interest in it.
As long as they can remember this has just been what dad does .
Now that the oldest son is out in the real world a bit I think he realizes how different what and how I do this is though.

#2477 5 years ago

Nice day for outdoor exercises.

7A91272E-EFE3-4EC7-A24C-241ED98BAA26 (resized).jpeg7A91272E-EFE3-4EC7-A24C-241ED98BAA26 (resized).jpeg
#2478 5 years ago

Going to make it a little more challenging with the addition of a weighted vest.

#2479 5 years ago

Going to make it a little more challenging with the addition of a weighted vest.
[quoted image]

Looks a little nicer there than here. This is out my work back door right now

lot (resized).jpglot (resized).jpg
#2480 5 years ago

yeah, I feel for you guys in MN although michigan's weather has been something out of a sci-fi movie
last week we hit -17F (about -40F+ with the windchill), and then it was somewhere in the upper 30s later that week. this week tuesday, we awoke to 1-2" of ice covered streets and roads

it's supposed to hit 52F this evening and then tomorrow evening it's back down to 12F

#2481 5 years ago

Got that over with.
One hour well spent
242CF213-E94D-476F-B003-8FD667DDD5A8 (resized).jpeg242CF213-E94D-476F-B003-8FD667DDD5A8 (resized).jpeg

Latest fish shipment arrived.
Got 20lbs this time around. Mix of Ivory and standard King.
Big thanks to my fish guy Jaison Scott at Pikes.
If you order ask for him and tell him I sent you
Got that packed and sealed right after the workout. DB28F52F-49F7-46F0-A28E-F77ED3A0658C (resized).jpegDB28F52F-49F7-46F0-A28E-F77ED3A0658C (resized).jpeg

For lunch is a bit of each while they are still fresh/not frozen.

67E3BD5D-9D31-4EC7-89D0-F1A30A88E93A (resized).jpeg67E3BD5D-9D31-4EC7-89D0-F1A30A88E93A (resized).jpeg

Now what to get to work on in the pinball world?

I think it is going to be working through the WW coil assemblies. One at a time adding connectors.
I have decided to go with a new playfield on this one although I will absolutely need to restore the prototype playfield so that process won’t be missed for the guys interested in that.

#2482 5 years ago

When freeing the harness on s game like this where I need to make connections but still clean the harness itself what I will do is just pin it for now.

This will make it easier to clean and dry than having the actual connectors on there.

#2483 5 years ago

That Swords of Fury trip was awesome...thanks for sharing it, Chris! I always learn something from every one of your projects! Very LIONMAN of you, sir!

#2484 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

That Swords of Fury trip was awesome...thanks for sharing it, Chris! I always learn something from every one of your projects! Very LIONMAN of you, sir!

Cool glad to do it.
There are some really good ones in there if people have the time to look through them.
These were the pre Pinside restoration documentations.
Over the years many that know about them have copied things learned in there and presented it as their own info or process and it tends to fly since they are kind of old school galleries these days and maybe unknown. I always spot it personally. It isn’t that I care so much but it just funny to read sometimes

I am going to list my personal favorites in a bit.

#2485 5 years ago

My lunch involved reviewing every photo in this album. I know you give great highlights now in your posts, but the post from 2011 really shows the time and effort you put into your builds (i.e. all the taping, sanding, clearing, painting, sanding, taping, clearing, painting, over and over .. ). It's amazing work. Thank you for sharing your journey!

And that fish looks amazing; I get mine sent in from Kodiak Island, AK. Love it!

#2486 5 years ago

Here are some favorites of mine. Some are a bit dated some were way too much work but these stick out in my mind for one reason or another.Over the years I have looked back at these and thought they were good examples of what I could do or what I could do better.Each one seemed like a real accomplishment at the time.
Banzai Run prototype true cabinet repaint

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album77

BK2K long before playfields were available

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album69

Adding a functional drop target to a Dirty Harry and reworking the cabinet

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album107

Earthshaker sample game.This was probably my first documented restoration.So old there are no captions.Probably 16 years ago.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album19

The first King Kong I did.I ended up doing three but the first one was 12 years ago and it was such a hard thing to pull off back then and stressful.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album29

The POTO was tough.Didn't turn out as perfect as I would like and I am about to do another.Just can't bring myself to decal this era game unless there is no choice.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album154

I will never forget this NIB NGG it came directly from Pat Lawlor himself..
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album209

This Fathom was possibly the worst game I ever took in.It taught me a very valuable lesson in that I just can't always fix everything or figure it out later.Missing parts are missing parts and never take anyones word that "It is rough but all there "
Owner could not have been nicer and easier to work with I think ultimately he ended up in a much better position than he started but I don't think we were ever able to overcome all the obstacles of this restoration completely.Games like these might be fun and worth saving personally but definitely not professionally

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album624

This Vector was a lot of work.The double backglass was cool.
It would be tough to want to do another.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album590

I remember this Voltan in particular as well.I just could not get the color exactly where I saw in my mind it should be so I kept working at it.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album587

The Who Dunnit was a nice change of pace from the norm.You don't see these done or done to this level often.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album169

And the biggest undertaking at the time was the Krull.Another that it would take a lot for me to consider doing again.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album150

#2487 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I know what I will be going today/tomorrow
This was my favorite line "never take anyones word that "It is rough but all there ""

#2488 5 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Thanks for sharing! I know what I will be going today/tomorrow
This was my favorite line "never take anyones word that "It is rough but all there ""

It NEVER is!!!

#2489 5 years ago

There was a picture of a Hercules in the SOF gallery but I couldn’t find a gallery for it... have you done one before?

#2490 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

There was a picture of a Hercules in the SOF gallery but I couldn’t find a gallery for it... have you done one before?

I have not.
That Hercules came in to be done at my first shop.
It was badly hacked and incomplete.
The owner went MIA for a long while due to an injury.
Once he was able to revisit the project his solution was to send two more and take the three to build one nice example.
By that time I had just lost my brother was working solo and downsized my shop.
The ability to house one let alone three Hercules was just not feasible so I returned the $500(at that time)deposit and packed then shipped the game to a new owner once the original owner was made whole.
Th original owner was salty about it and used to thumbs down every post I made on here
Another lesson learned.

#2491 5 years ago

Been there with the whole owner thing. My father and I did a lot of professional car painting and seen upset people. I have also seen people very pleased.
I grew tired of the nit pickers and haters! So i choose to be done with it.
I enjoy doing restorations for myself and will never do a pin for anyone, while I will do them and sell them so I can help keep the pins alive! As a hobby!!!
I love all the info I pick up on threads like this as it's helping me to learn. Thanks HEP, and you do great work!!

#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Been there with the whole owner thing. My father and I did a lot of professional car painting and seen upset people. I have also seen people very pleased.
I grew tired of the nit pickers and haters! So i choose to be done with it.
I enjoy doing restorations for myself and will never do a pin for anyone, while I will do them and sell them so I can help keep the pins alive! As a hobby!!!
I love all the info I pick up on threads like this as it's helping me to learn. Thanks HEP, and you do great work!!

Thank you.
This is a 100% truth when I used to do cars we focused exclusively on Mercedes,Ferrari and Rolls Royce’s.
There would be the job where someone brought in a 30 year old trashed Mercedes and all you did was paint the bumper.
They would get down on their hands and knees with a magnifying glass to pick it to death with the most uninformed and ridiculous observations.
Then there would be the $50k almost totaled brand new Ferrari rebuild that you would obsess and perfect to the point of almost making yourself sick.
They would pay the bill not even take a look at it and speed off.
It is part of life. I could not possibly extend myself anymore for anybody I deal with and that is when you can rest easy.

#2493 5 years ago

Special Whirlwind coindoor is built up using new clear slots.

Plan on taking it fairly easy today and letting Renegade play in the background.
I love these types of shows.
Hunter,Renegade,Kojak. It is like the more ridiculous the premise and action the better I like it for some reason.
F439188B-DC4E-4559-97A9-A7F89592048B (resized).jpegF439188B-DC4E-4559-97A9-A7F89592048B (resized).jpeg

The man is prowling the badlands an outlaw hunting outlaws. What is not to like?D1593020-56DC-4D3A-A71A-328991E1ADA5 (resized).jpegD1593020-56DC-4D3A-A71A-328991E1ADA5 (resized).jpeg

#2494 5 years ago

I remember this Voltan in particular as well.I just could not get the color exactly where I saw in my mind it should be so I kept working at it.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album587

I'm not embarrassed to say I've been through every single link on your archive at one time or another. This Voltan was completely mission critical for us to find the confidence to do Future Spa.

The color situation for these restorations must be challenging since sometimes you can't possibly know the precise color from the 70's. I'm almost positive that Voltan and Future Spa used the exact same colors on the cabinet, which included a DuPont pinkish red that is technically impossible to accurately recreate now that elements/pigments of the paint back then that are no longer produced.

My son and I went through your painting and re-painting of that red and our minds were blown. It was so much work for us just to do it once, to go back and manually stencil off the color and re-apply it, that's some serious dedication. To do it twice or three times? Dude. There is no one like you.

#2495 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm not embarrassed to say I've been through every single link on your archive at one time or another. This Voltan was completely mission critical for us to find the confidence to do Future Spa.
The color situation for these restorations must be challenging since sometimes you can't possibly know the precise color from the 70's. I'm almost positive that Voltan and Future Spa used the exact same colors on the cabinet, which included a DuPont pinkish red that is technically impossible to accurately recreate now that elements/pigments of the paint back then that are no longer produced.
My son and I went through your painting and re-painting of that red and our minds were blown. It was so much work for us just to do it once, to go back and manually stencil off the color and re-apply it, that's some serious dedication. To do it twice or three times? Dude. There is no one like you.

Thanks Jay
Colors and coatings are a moving target. They really always have been because the paint and coatings industry as a whole is always retooling and reinventing.
Sometimes that is because of regulations,others outside vendor issues,cost and much more.
When it comes to what I do and how I approach it.
Half the time I think of myself as multi talented,relentlessly in pursuit of quality,perfection etc etc.
The other half I see it as foolish,crazy,wasting time and resources.
Some of these processes and extras can be pretty tough to justify at times especially when factored into the bottom line.
I rarely regret going overboard on anything mentally. Financially it can be tough. The difference in getting two games done in a month or only one.
In those circumstances I think one thing that kind of inspires me is that it in turn inspires others. Another is if it doesn’t look or feel right then it just isn’t right. You can sense that in those cases.
I am not perfect all the time but anytime I am not it is a conscious choice or practical trade off. I always realize and know what would be absolutely perfect in my eyes but I weigh that at times with what is practical or most important to others.
The galleries and post serve two purposes.
Always figuring anyone that really studies what I do and gets it will either hire me or out of inspiration try to do it themselves.
No downside in my mind to either scenario.

#2496 5 years ago

Today’s Hulu binge of Rengade is making me think about doing a Stern HD to Renegade retheme
It would be the perfect game to use.
I hope to cross paths with the rare Pinball,Stern,Renegade fan with a good budget and lots of patience

Thinking out loud here.

Other options
Hunter retheme of Police Force okay. It’s Friday evening and the evening beer is at work.

Speaking of which.
Huge thanks to Mark G
For not only grabbing and delivering my beer order from his neck of the woods.

But also dropping off his TZ.

5913755E-3EE8-4655-AC91-1116F316D46B (resized).jpeg5913755E-3EE8-4655-AC91-1116F316D46B (resized).jpeg
#2497 5 years ago

Oh I see what you did there!

#2498 5 years ago

For not only grabbing and delivering my beer order from his neck of the woods.

Your beer choices are getting bolder.

#2499 5 years ago

Seriously.... this is the best thread on Pinside. I look forward to reading it every day. Not just the restorations, but seeing what Maverick is up to, what exercise routine is being done today, the fish/beer combo of the day, what your son's are up to..... it's Pinside's version of Ellen (and I mean that as the highest of compliments).

#2500 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

it's Pinside's version of Ellen

za49e.jpgza49e.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,724 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 295.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/50?hl=tim_may and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.