IMG_4158 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4157 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4155 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4154 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4153 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4152 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

215 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 304.
#15101 26 days ago

I have a question for a Chris if he'll entertain me, what are your least favorite things to do when restoring a machine?

#15102 26 days ago

That's an incredible looking Shadow! Outstanding restoration. Great game too.

#15103 26 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

I have a question for a Chris if he'll entertain me, what are your least favorite things to do when restoring a machine?

Document it on Pinside?

#15104 25 days ago

Seems like you've done a handful of The Shadow pins over recent years, and they never disappoint! The black trim on this one is beautiful and the game is perfect as always. Job well done!

#15105 25 days ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I hear that I am not desperate for attention myself as far as that goes I am well established but I do like to bring attention to the process and art of it in the right places. As we get older so do these games and the restoration process only becomes that much more substantial or significant.
I don’t have much motivation here lately because it can be the same old same old.

Hi Chris, really nice work on the The Shadow.
Love the original look and I think it looks better than the first day out from the factory.

Not the best season for pinball... in general, but the hype will be back in 2 months-ish.

#15106 25 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

Based on recent rants I would say he dislikes cheaply made mods esp if they don’t have a functional purpose and if they make assembling the game a PITA.

#15107 25 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

Trying to keep track of expenses and ordering parts overall.
Physically probably wiring the playfields because it can seem a bit sedentary and long winded compared to other parts of the process.

#15108 25 days ago

I hear that I am not desperate for attention myself as far as that goes I am well established but I do like to bring attention to the process and art of it in the right places. As we get older so do these games and the restoration process only becomes that much more substantial or significant.
I don’t have much motivation here lately because it can be the same old same old.

Chris, this thread and your posts are what I look forward to when I am on Pinside. I love learning more and more from seeing the process from start to finish. The skills you demonstrate show the years of experience. I only wish I could develop the painting skills. I can do all of the mechanical and electrical, but depend on others for the paint work. Keep the posts coming, you have a huge audience loving them!!

#15109 25 days ago

Is it me or is this place extremely boring these days?

Check out the Gilligan club and you can get some laughs at my amateur work

#15110 25 days ago

Hi Chris,

I was looking at your tips for rebuilding a Transformer.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/104#post-5252556

Do you apply paint after priming it with the black self etching primer ? If so, which one ?

Thanks !

#15111 25 days ago

I devour all your unusual and custom games you post.

Anything rare or EM, anything you over use your imagination on.

One of your TZ's looks much like another to me though.

#15112 25 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

I devour all your unusual and custom games you post.
Anything rare or EM, anything you over use your imagination on.
One of your TZ's looks much like another to me though.

I actually have a custom TZ in the works as well as some IJs.
Those are games that get done many different ways but without some true artistic reinvention they are always going to come out looking about the same.
If you really want to do something unique to them it’s going to take quite a bit more than chrome or interior art to pull it off.
You have to start with the the outside. It’s the only true way to have any initial visual impact.
My last few custom projects have been hit and mis for me.
The Total Chaos cabinet was great but the kit itself was a let down.
The custom Kiss was fairly satisfying overall but in hindsight I thought too many of its details were hard to appreciate at a glance.
That’s one I will revisit.
I always have a warehouse full of work but only so many are willing to be guinea pigs but that seems to be changing as I present more alternatives.
Never being happy nor satisfied is what keeps me happy and satisfied I suppose.

#15113 25 days ago
Quoted from marcd:

Hi Chris,
I was looking at your tips for rebuilding a Transformer.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/104#post-5252556
Do you apply paint after priming it with the black self etching primer ? If so, which one ?
Thanks !

No paint just the etch primer.

#15114 25 days ago

I love it.

It's important for a person to understand themselves as much as we are able. I use self reflection and asking others in quiet moments for input.

Thanks for the further explanation of your work. Looking forward to the next woodrail or late 70's game you do.

Would love to see you pick up an unappreciated, cheap game now and then and do them on spec. I can't imagine you being stuck with one.
There's an arse for every seat.

Sorcerer, Grand Lizard, Lost World etc.

#15115 25 days ago

I visit your restoration posts daily and sometimes it gives me motivation to do a little work on mine. I am so slow at it. Sometimes it is waiting for parts, sometimes it is family time getting in the way, Mostly it is me being lazy. I am the customer of my own work. If I finished it quickly, I would be looking for another project.

#15116 25 days ago

Creature is gutted.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15117 25 days ago

Creature is gutted.
[quoted image]

Oooooh, I’m excited for this one! Haven’t watched you do a Creature yet

Do you have a list of games that need to have their power toggle switch cut out moved over in the line filter box because of the wider leg brackets?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-brackets-and-power-boxes

Pretty sure it was you that pointed out this was a thing.

#15118 25 days ago

The Shadow looked great with the black chrome.

The Custom KISS was simply insane. Understated, yet classy as shit. I know the pictures don't capture the experience of actually standing in front of it.

Looking forward to the next custom!

#15119 25 days ago

Great quote! I’m going to steal this and use it often

#15120 25 days ago

I’ve owned two Shadows and you’re making me miss this game again. That title is one of the absolute all time GOATs! Beautiful example you restored there, wow. “The Shadow knows!”

#15121 25 days ago

I just watched your Star Trek Next Generation videos....awesome job by the way....quick question did you buy a new speaker panel plastic or did you use the existing? Mine is fine except the clear plastic is scratched up and not really sure how to get those out (novus 2?)....OEM ones are kinda hard to find

#15122 25 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I just watched your Star Trek Next Generation videos....awesome job by the way....quick question did you buy a new speaker panel plastic or did you use the existing? Mine is fine except the clear plastic is scratched up and not really sure how to get those out (novus 2?)....OEM ones are kinda hard to find

What I do is wet sand up to 2000 grit then buff I do this with plastic ramps also

#15123 25 days ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

What I do is wet sand up to 2000 grit then buff I do this with plastic ramps also

Thanks...

#15124 25 days ago

Np but try it on something else’s first to get use to it

#15125 24 days ago

Playfield day!!

IMG_3354 (resized).jpegIMG_3354 (resized).jpegIMG_3355 (resized).jpegIMG_3355 (resized).jpegIMG_3356 (resized).jpegIMG_3356 (resized).jpegIMG_3357 (resized).jpegIMG_3357 (resized).jpegIMG_3358 (resized).jpegIMG_3358 (resized).jpeg
#15126 24 days ago

Playfield day!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Class of June 2024 has some real potential.

#15127 24 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Class of June 2024 has some real potential.

A little bit

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
#15128 24 days ago

A little bit
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What an excellent line up of playfields. Nothing finer than a HEP cleared playfield.

#15129 24 days ago
Quoted from jazc4:

What an excellent line up of playfields. Nothing finer than a HEP cleared playfield.

Thanks. It’s going to be a very productive summer this year!

#15130 23 days ago

Creature cabinet primed then painted.

IMG_3412 (resized).jpegIMG_3412 (resized).jpegIMG_3415 (resized).jpegIMG_3415 (resized).jpegIMG_3416 (resized).jpegIMG_3416 (resized).jpegIMG_3418 (resized).jpegIMG_3418 (resized).jpegIMG_3429 (resized).jpegIMG_3429 (resized).jpegIMG_3431 (resized).jpegIMG_3431 (resized).jpegIMG_3432 (resized).jpegIMG_3432 (resized).jpeg
#15131 23 days ago

I was thinking I wanted to do a glass white, but your dark on the inside looks really good.

#15132 22 days ago

Creature cabinet primed then painted.

After that KISS, I was expecting neon green with scales on the inside.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15133 21 days ago

Chris, I wanted to ask you what modifications you have on the cabinets and what is the reason behind each one.

For example the bottom speaker hole is not centered.
Probably there are other improvements too.

#15134 21 days ago
Quoted from ALY:

Chris, I wanted to ask you what modifications you have on the cabinets and what is the reason behind each one.
For example the bottom speaker hole is not centered.
Probably there are other improvements too.

On CFTBL, the speaker position was moved because of the hologram and the need to project the light from the back of the cabinet to the mirror mechanism towards the the front.

#15135 20 days ago
Quoted from sfspanky:

On CFTBL, the speaker position was moved because of the hologram and the need to project the light from the back of the cabinet to the mirror mechanism towards the the front.

Thanks for clarifying, @sfspanky. Makes sense.

In that case, Chris, you have your cabinets 90% ready to adapt to any requirements like these?

#15136 20 days ago

In your videos that you post it would be very helpful when sanding for you to show the back of the sanding pad that shows the grit or verbally say what grit of sandpaper is that you are using since that is a vital part of each of your processes. Thank you.

#15137 20 days ago
Quoted from ALY:

Thanks for clarifying, @sfspanky. Makes sense.
In that case, Chris, you have your cabinets 90% ready to adapt to any requirements like these?

My cabinet builder has all the Williams CNC files and technical files.
They are not always 100% accurate due to production changes or human error but they are always corrected if we run into something.
That stated what I do is I have game specific cabinets built each time so a CFTBL cabinet in this case which is very specific on the lower but uses the same head as many of the era.

#15138 20 days ago
Quoted from pfinny:

In your videos that you post it would be very helpful when sanding for you to show the back of the sanding pad that shows the grit or verbally say what grit of sandpaper is that you are using since that is a vital part of each of your processes. Thank you.

Sometimes I do but it’s not going to be in each and every video and it’s not going to be the same on every cabinet nor step.
This is why I always say these are not how to videos.
If you can get something from them as they are made great.

#15139 20 days ago

This is why I always say these are not how to videos.
If you can get something from them as they are made great.

The gifs that your videos throw off are fantastic. Pure entertainment.

HEP_Unchained_TZ_Pyramid_Deep_Thoughts.gifHEP_Unchained_TZ_Pyramid_Deep_Thoughts.gif
#15140 19 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The gifs that your videos throw off are fantastic. Pure entertainment.
[quoted image]

Those are fun. Things are going too well for me to rant this week but that’s always subject to change.

Harlem Shuffle during the day
Creatures of the Night in the evening.

IMG_3551 (resized).jpegIMG_3551 (resized).jpegIMG_3573 (resized).jpegIMG_3573 (resized).jpegIMG_3574 (resized).jpegIMG_3574 (resized).jpegIMG_3575 (resized).jpegIMG_3575 (resized).jpegIMG_3576 (resized).jpegIMG_3576 (resized).jpegIMG_3577 (resized).jpegIMG_3577 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#15141 19 days ago

I am painting my Dr Who cabinet from Mr Weaver right now. I wish it looked like yours. Hides my head in shame.

Cabinet2 (resized).jpgCabinet2 (resized).jpg
#15142 19 days ago

Harlem Shuffle during the day

I was expecting a hardwood floor in the bottom of the Globetrotters cabinet Chris! (when reading this Chris keep in mind it's Black Tuesday)

#15143 19 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

I was expecting a hardwood floor in the bottom of the Globetrotters cabinet Chris! (when reading this Chris keep in mind it's Black Tuesday)

Haha! No kidding. The expectations bar has been raised - by Chris himself.
globetrotters cabinet-next_with_speaker (resized).jpgglobetrotters cabinet-next_with_speaker (resized).jpg
(yes, I cheated on the jersey numbers, but too much time to get all the backglass jerseys set, and dinner's up!)

#15144 19 days ago

It’s just the season I am sure but it does seem like a waste of time posting anything restoration related here. I was trying to regulate myself to just finished pictures in the interim
I couldn’t give a shit but don’t want to waste even a second on a lost cause.

Long time thread reader, first time poster. I am sure there are many others like me, but rest assured it isn’t wasted time posting your restorations here. I have read every post and gawked at every photo for years. You teach people so much and don’t even realize it. You have a talent I will never have, but I spend hours reading this thread. Please keep it up.

#15145 19 days ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Long time thread reader, first time poster. I am sure there are many others like me, but rest assured it isn’t wasted time posting your restorations here. I have read every post and gawked at every photo for years. You teach people so much and don’t even realize it. You have a talent I will never have, but I spend hours reading this thread. Please keep it up.

True.

I think Chris needs to start an online "Buy me a beer" tip jar.

#15146 18 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha! No kidding. The expectations bar has been raised - by Chris himself.
[quoted image]
(yes, I cheated on the jersey numbers, but too much time to get all the backglass jerseys set, and dinner's up!)

This is so true, but also the customer might not want to pay for him to go all out. What's nice to know is he can go all out if the customer is willing to pay for it. A court floor on the inside of a cabinet seems like such a luxury choice, but definitely a super unique one

#15147 17 days ago

I am hard at it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#15148 17 days ago

Two days work.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#15149 17 days ago

Wow, that cabinet is looking great, the colors are really bright and popping.

Cheers,

#15150 16 days ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Wow, that cabinet is looking great, the colors are really bright and popping.
Cheers,

Thank you!
If you have forty minutes of free time I cover it well here
I couldn’t figure out anyway to capture 24 hours of labor any faster.
Bally Harlem Globetrotters Machine 3

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

4,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Highlands Ranch, CO
$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 448.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

There are 15,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 304.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.