IMG_0878 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,731 posts in this topic. You are on page 282 of 295.
#14051 58 days ago

Yeah very nice stuff there.
Those airbrush fades are not too bad.

Its this stuff I hate to do and i'm interested to see how you tackle that. It would be easier to shoot yellow and airbrush the orange as faded stripes. But to hand brush that mottling, that's gonna cost em'.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14052 58 days ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Yeah very nice stuff there.
Those airbrush fades are not too bad.
Its this stuff I hate to do and i'm interested to see how you tackle that. It would be easier to shoot yellow and airbrush the orange as faded stripes. But to hand brush that mottling, that's gonna cost em'.
[quoted image]

I don’t worry about any of that. I figure it out as I go and do the best I can with what they give me to work with. It’s a blown out old playfield.
Every step is a step in the right direction.

#14053 58 days ago

Is using filler on the PF top a more newer HEP technique? I don't remember you using filler like that normally on the PF surface.

#14054 58 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Is using filler on the PF top a more newer HEP technique? I don't remember you using filler like that normally on the PF surface.

I have it just depends I think if you look back a few years ago when I was doing an original Bk I highlighted it.
It’s a great solution where issues are too minor for fiberglass but would take too many clearing and sanding sessions to level prior to repaint.
The amount left behind is about the equivalent of a couple coats of clear in those problem spots.
It is also more forgiving in the wire guide areas if you have a lot of barbed ones because it will flex where other material will most likely crack.
This is one of the advantages I have in doing my own playfield restorations.
I can chose how to go about it based on things I know about teardown and assembly instead of just trying to make it look pretty.
There are no set formulas or processes it’s a variety of experiences and options on a case by case basis.

#14055 58 days ago

The gloves were a tedious cut out.

IMG_8186 (resized).jpegIMG_8186 (resized).jpegIMG_8187 (resized).jpegIMG_8187 (resized).jpegIMG_8188 (resized).jpegIMG_8188 (resized).jpegIMG_8189 (resized).jpegIMG_8189 (resized).jpegIMG_8192 (resized).jpegIMG_8192 (resized).jpegIMG_8193 (resized).jpegIMG_8193 (resized).jpegIMG_8195 (resized).jpegIMG_8195 (resized).jpegIMG_8196 (resized).jpegIMG_8196 (resized).jpegIMG_8200 (resized).jpegIMG_8200 (resized).jpegIMG_8201 (resized).jpegIMG_8201 (resized).jpegIMG_8202 (resized).jpegIMG_8202 (resized).jpegIMG_8212 (resized).jpegIMG_8212 (resized).jpeg
#14056 58 days ago

Getting better.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14057 58 days ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Day three on the Rocky playfield.

Be honest, are you blasting "Eye of the Tiger" throughout the shop as you work on this playfield?

#14058 58 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Be honest, are you blasting "Eye of the Tiger" throughout the shop as you work on this playfield?

No by 84 I never wanted to hear it again.

#14059 58 days ago

Needed to shift all the blue possible towards the plastic set.
Case being I can change the blue on the playfield but not the plastics,drop targets and bumper cap.
This is a better match for all that but those cuts were tough as hell.
Mostly the stars and ripples in his shorts.

IMG_8217 (resized).jpegIMG_8217 (resized).jpegIMG_8222 (resized).jpegIMG_8222 (resized).jpegIMG_8223 (resized).jpegIMG_8223 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14060 58 days ago

Looks promising.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14061 58 days ago

It's like a mystery novel... will he tackle that? will he adjust that?

love the as we go updates

#14062 58 days ago

Very nice. Please excuse my ignorance as you have probably covered this earlier, but what are you using to cut the mask without cutting into the playfield? Thanks.

#14063 58 days ago

As you said in your videos the PF really needs a total repaint which I won't be doing .... umm looks like its headed that way, lol.

Nice work no matter what though.

#14064 58 days ago
Quoted from dstudeba:

Very nice. Please excuse my ignorance as you have probably covered this earlier, but what are you using to cut the mask without cutting into the playfield? Thanks.

Razor blade. Plain and simple.

#14065 58 days ago
Quoted from dstudeba:

but what are you using to cut the mask without cutting into the playfield? Thanks.

skill-levels-growth-increasing-skills-level-wireframe-hand-is-pulling-up-to-the-maximum-position-circle-progress-bar-with-the-woskill-levels-growth-increasing-skills-level-wireframe-hand-is-pulling-up-to-the-maximum-position-circle-progress-bar-with-the-wo

the man has the touch..

#14066 58 days ago

The gold in the yellow is so abstract... I wonder if it's viable to just recreate in the spirit, without being precise.

The pattern almost looks like a sponge roller.. if you could recreate the effect and its just inking and rolling a 1/4" wide pad/wheel... Then just repaint the whole areas yellow and recreate in the same itensity, without having to duplicate it exactly.

Not really worth it on the lettering where the ball marks aren't as visible... but could be done with a single masking of the yellow...

Heck, the large areas look like you could do a wide roller and going the length.. if you could get some of that irregular ridging in the roller itself.

#14067 58 days ago

Three hours later with a short dinner break.

IMG_8230 (resized).jpegIMG_8230 (resized).jpegIMG_8233 (resized).jpegIMG_8233 (resized).jpeg
#14068 58 days ago

A lot of masking that’s for sure I know all about that fun fun

#14069 58 days ago

As predicted the black provides a huge impact visually.
Need to rework the center independently because the stencils I make for the inserts would have overlapped the rest.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14070 58 days ago

Looking great it’s coming along nice work

#14072 58 days ago

absurd amount of work to get this right... hats off to you !

#14073 58 days ago

Three hours later with a short dinner break.
[quoted image][quoted image]

that photo alone could be a attention grabber

#14074 58 days ago

Long one today.
Got that cleared once again. Will need more work but this was a good save point after so many repaints.
It gets to a point where you can easily damage what you’ve done already if you try to do everything you really want or need to without clearing and sanding before getting back to it.
It will have more sharp edges and debri from that process for now but it’s going well.

IMG_8236 (resized).jpegIMG_8236 (resized).jpegIMG_8238 (resized).jpegIMG_8238 (resized).jpegIMG_8245 (resized).jpegIMG_8245 (resized).jpegIMG_8263 (resized).jpegIMG_8263 (resized).jpegIMG_8264 (resized).jpegIMG_8264 (resized).jpegIMG_8265 (resized).jpegIMG_8265 (resized).jpegIMG_8268 (resized).jpegIMG_8268 (resized).jpegIMG_8269 (resized).jpegIMG_8269 (resized).jpegIMG_8270 (resized).jpegIMG_8270 (resized).jpegIMG_8271 (resized).jpegIMG_8271 (resized).jpegIMG_8272 (resized).jpegIMG_8272 (resized).jpegIMG_8273 (resized).jpegIMG_8273 (resized).jpegIMG_8274 (resized).jpegIMG_8274 (resized).jpegIMG_8277 (resized).jpegIMG_8277 (resized).jpegIMG_8275 (resized).jpegIMG_8275 (resized).jpeg
#14075 58 days ago

Just curious how many hours would you say you have into redoing the playfield

#14076 58 days ago

Long one today.
Got that cleared once again. Will need more work but this was a good save point after so many repaints.
It gets to a point where you can easily damage what you’ve done already if you try to do everything you really want or need to without clearing and sanding before getting back to it.
It will have more sharp edges and debri from that process for now but it’s going well.

Amazing. Good job, Ace!

#14077 58 days ago

Incredible. You are an absolute magician Christopher Hutchins.

#14078 58 days ago

This playfield restoration is sick. Just amazing.

Are there any videos of the masking and using a razor blade to cut around things? My hand could never be that steady going around the text and such...

#14079 58 days ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

This playfield restoration is sick. Just amazing.
Are there any videos of the masking and using a razor blade to cut around things? My hand could never be that steady going around the text and such...

Follow Chris on YouTube

#14080 57 days ago

Brutal day with this thing.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14081 57 days ago

I'm really surprised how many colors you can put down in one day. How long do you have to let a color dry before masking over it again for another color?

#14082 56 days ago

Brutal day with this thing.

Ain't gonna be no rematch. Don't want one.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14083 56 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ain't gonna be no rematch. Don't want one.

Definitely. Worst part is it is only about round four. Still have stencils to be made,cabinet to perfect and paint,all the electronics etc.

#14084 56 days ago

I like the solid yellow tbh.

If this was my game I would be more than happy to have the fresh redone PF as it is here vs how rough it was before. No NOS or repro PF around for it then this is the only choice.

#14085 56 days ago

You're a witch...this is witchcraft. That Rocky playfield looks amazing! I miss the highlights in the yellow areas a little but I agree you can only do so much.

#14086 56 days ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

You're a witch...this is witchcraft. That Rocky playfield looks amazing! I miss the highlights in the yellow areas a little but I agree you can only do so much.

Thanks it can be tough to make those type of decisions but at the end of the day whatever looks good is usually the best choice and anything I tried to duplicate it looked choppy or just too obvious.
I think once it’s built up as a total package it will prove to be an even better choice overall.

#14087 56 days ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I'm really surprised how many colors you can put down in one day. How long do you have to let a color dry before masking over it again for another color?

Putting the colors down is pretty limitless. Some can be as quick as ten minutes others maybe thirty tops. Depends on how heavy and general atmosphere.
The real concern gets to be damaging the previous colors from cutting so at some point it has to be cleared before sanding and continuing on.

#14088 56 days ago

As predicted the black provides a huge impact visually.
Need to rework the center independently because the stencils I make for the inserts would have overlapped the rest.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful!

#14089 56 days ago

This is why HEP pinball has a back log of work. You do the best with whatever you are given. Doing a game that may not be seen by others. The question once its done outside for driveway pictures do you look back and realize you are that good? I also think as tough as this is so far it's keeps you thinking. Not that other games you do are a walk in the park.

#14090 55 days ago

Amazing work. Just wow!!!

#14091 55 days ago

Unfortunately this is how I spend my weekend after that Rocky playfield this past week.

IMG_8437 (resized).jpegIMG_8437 (resized).jpegIMG_8438 (resized).jpegIMG_8438 (resized).jpegIMG_8440 (resized).jpegIMG_8440 (resized).jpegIMG_8398 (resized).jpegIMG_8398 (resized).jpegIMG_8433 (resized).jpegIMG_8433 (resized).jpegIMG_8434 (resized).jpegIMG_8434 (resized).jpegIMG_8435 (resized).jpegIMG_8435 (resized).jpeg
#14092 55 days ago

Still managed to get a sliver of pinball work done.

IMG_8432 (resized).jpegIMG_8432 (resized).jpeg
#14093 55 days ago

Unfortunately this is how I spend my weekend after that Rocky playfield this past week.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ah Fruit Loops… a man with taste

#14094 55 days ago

Nice. I thought of you today while I was shoveling rocks.

#14095 55 days ago

Chris,

Great work on the Rocky playfield! Just amazing!

Question:

I assume each time to cut out the frisket film to paint a certain area, you then pull the film out completely and place fresh film and continue cutting out other areas that need painting.

How does the paint in the freshly painted areas doesn’t peel off every time you apply and remove the frisket film for all the areas that need paint?

Unless the film is gentle enough to not peel fresh paint off, I was thinking applying clear to the freshly painted areas to set the colors down would guarantee no paint peeling but I doubt that would be practical…..

#14096 55 days ago
Quoted from cp1610:

This is why HEP pinball has a back log of work. You do the best with whatever you are given. Doing a game that may not be seen by others. The question once its done outside for driveway pictures do you look back and realize you are that good? I also think as tough as this is so far it's keeps you thinking. Not that other games you do are a walk in the park.

The challenges are what really make it interesting day after day.
I like the easy ones and the day to day. I actually need that to make ends meet but the art style projects and the uncommon ones are best.
It’s always a rewarding feeling when they are done. The harder the job the bigger the pay off in that regard.
Appreciate the kind words.

#14097 55 days ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Nice. I thought of you today while I was shoveling rocks.

Think I will be back to that next weekend if the weather cooperates (secretly hoping for rain)..

#14098 55 days ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Chris,
Great work on the Rocky playfield! Just amazing!
Question:
I assume each time to cut out the frisket film to paint a certain area, you then pull the film out completely and place fresh film and continue cutting out other areas that need painting.
How does the paint in the freshly painted areas doesn’t peel off every time you apply and remove the frisket film for all the areas that need paint?
Unless the film is gentle enough to not peel fresh paint off, I was thinking applying clear to the freshly painted areas to set the colors down would guarantee no paint peeling but I doubt that would be practical…..

The paint I use is very strong solvent based so with the proper prep and mixtures it etches into the surface so taping on and over is no problem.
All things get cleared in total not sections. Usually after a few colors are done.
Then cleared sanded and the process starts again until everything is in order then a final sand and clear followed by a final sand and polish.
When doing this type of restoration it’s not about the art it is as simple as focusing on colors and shapes. Doing that ultimately restores the art.

#14099 55 days ago

The paint I use is very strong solvent based so with the proper prep and mixtures it etches into the surface so taping on and over is no problem.
All things get cleared in total not sections. Usually after a few colors are done.
Then cleared sanded and the process starts again until everything is in order then a final sand and clear followed by a final sand and polish.
When doing this type of restoration it’s not about the art it is as simple as focusing on colors and shapes. Doing that ultimately restores the art.

Thank you for explaining that and congratulations again! That Rocky playfield looks fantastic!

#14100 55 days ago

Great work as always. I enjoy watching you repaint playfields. You have an incredibly accurate hand with a razor blade, both in terms of line tracking and pressure. Have you ever considered archival ink print waterside decals for areas like the yellow mottled details? When I did playfields for myself I used them quite a bit (great for text reproduction, too). Takes a special printer, but nothing too terribly fancy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.00
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
There are 14,731 posts in this topic. You are on page 282 of 295.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/282 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.