IMG_0833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0827 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0828 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0749 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0746 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,723 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 295.
#9901 2 years ago

Then there is the ES sample cabinet. It’s well cured now and assembly can begin. DF58E0E6-2A3C-45A0-9911-97C34CC71577 (resized).jpegDF58E0E6-2A3C-45A0-9911-97C34CC71577 (resized).jpegC639849B-5260-473C-8774-49747618100C (resized).jpegC639849B-5260-473C-8774-49747618100C (resized).jpeg
I want to use System 11 legs.
No problem I have new ones. 6E8649F3-27B0-4B82-BCE2-0E76836AD30F (resized).jpeg6E8649F3-27B0-4B82-BCE2-0E76836AD30F (resized).jpeg
The crimp is a bit too tight on these though30DA54CF-D3B5-48D1-98C0-83852FB51C30 (resized).jpeg30DA54CF-D3B5-48D1-98C0-83852FB51C30 (resized).jpeg
After all that paint work I certainly don’t want them digging into the cabinet.
After a few choices I settle on the thinnest combination possible that will protect the cabinet but just keep the crimp off the surface in a low profile way.New style plastic protector B7544263-A88F-4657-99CF-CE31180B9744 (resized).jpegB7544263-A88F-4657-99CF-CE31180B9744 (resized).jpeg
Under old style metal. 77E5F860-7FE0-4D34-B2FD-7B94078C6EB2 (resized).jpeg77E5F860-7FE0-4D34-B2FD-7B94078C6EB2 (resized).jpegC6E5B2E8-1A99-4EA4-A0EF-86BC4F406514 (resized).jpegC6E5B2E8-1A99-4EA4-A0EF-86BC4F406514 (resized).jpeg
Leg in place. Just right.

44B2A870-D67C-4F87-B067-4BCFF36E4BB4 (resized).jpeg44B2A870-D67C-4F87-B067-4BCFF36E4BB4 (resized).jpeg
#9902 2 years ago

ES sample is up on four legs now with new rails.

4B4E2398-B6BB-4505-B8FB-C65BC9875B97 (resized).jpeg4B4E2398-B6BB-4505-B8FB-C65BC9875B97 (resized).jpeg6008360C-064A-4842-848A-05F615B3D87F (resized).jpeg6008360C-064A-4842-848A-05F615B3D87F (resized).jpegAC49B2A1-B00B-4291-9870-E144A94A86E9 (resized).jpegAC49B2A1-B00B-4291-9870-E144A94A86E9 (resized).jpeg
#9903 2 years ago

Taking a break for a bit.
If you have a current project I will pick it up in my own gallery.

#9904 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Enjoy your break Chris. We will all look forward to your return. My favourite thread that I check every day. Learnt so much and find the progress on each game fascinating and enjoyable. A great way to relax and forget about the day.

#9905 2 years ago

I lack the emotional fortitude and body armor to take part in most pinside threads but I really enjoy this thread.

#9906 2 years ago

ES sample is up on four legs now with new rails.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! What do you use to attach side rails? Doubled sided tape?

#9907 2 years ago

The idea is to start building the surface up so you can start dealing with some of these problems on future passes.

as much as you've painfully said you are trying to get through that pile of old PF-only work... these stories and tales are invaluable to us readers how you as the pro work through these issues and what you look for. So thank you for your effort punching through these and sharing with us

#9908 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

as much as you've painfully said you are trying to get through that pile of old PF-only work... these stories and tales are invaluable to us readers how you as the pro work through these issues and what you look for. So thank you for your effort punching through these and sharing with us

PF restoration must be the worst job in pinball since all the best restorers want to stop doing it!

I tried to do one tiny little pf fix in a non-visible location and realized I was already way outta my league.

#9909 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

PF restoration must be the worst job in pinball since all the best restorers want to stop doing it!

It's the time and the tedium. And nobody wants to pay for the time & materials it takes to actually do it well/correctly.

#9910 2 years ago

Also have a NOS Capt Fantastic playfield to get done. Really focused on some these last playfield only jobs.
People have no idea how much work it takes to deal with an old NOS playfield like this. I would personally rather use a CPR if it were a project of my own.

i imagine quietly swapping those with a CPR must have crossed your mind a few time... cracking wood/paint with sunked inserts is just so much to work on

#9911 2 years ago

My absolute favorite thread goes dark...
I hope this is temporary. It's the main reason I check in with Pinside everyday.
Everyone needs a break though, and I can respect that.
Terry.

#9912 2 years ago

Yea, This is the first thread I check when I first get on. It's like watching a Pro athlete ,musician, chef ect. They make it look easier than it is.

#9913 2 years ago
Quoted from Gort:

They make it look easier than it is.

Understatement of the year. Heh! I enjoy watching along too, but I’m sure it’s a PITA to keep up with doing the thread.

#9914 2 years ago

My favourite thread by a mile to love these resto’s. To do these first class resto’s and take the time to upload and comment for us is amazing thanks Chris

#9915 2 years ago

Voluntarily deactivated his account. The posting here finally caught up to him. Has to be a hell of a lot of time to post pics, comments and responses. I'm shocked he kept at it this long. Time lost is money lost as a sole proprietor.

#9916 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Voluntarily deactivated his account. The posting here finally caught up to him. Has to be a hell of a lot of time to post pics, comments and responses. I'm shocked he kept at it this long. Time lost is money lost as a sole proprietor.

Knowing people and knowing business I am sure for every question someone posted here Chris likely got between 5 and 10 PM's he had to answer also. Chris is a great guy and I am sure he had a "tough time" saying no to some of the stuff people "would ask of him". Then add the fact he is already crazy busy - parts are harder to source (due to changes since this Corona Virus mess) - and knowing the back log of project he had sitting I don't doubt he will be "gone" for a good long time.

Maybe he will post again here someday or maybe he is gone from Pinside forever. Which ever it turns out to be one thing is for sure -- over the years he has been a lot of help to a lot of people. Going forward I wish Chris nothing but the best. I know the service industry well and I am sure burn-out also played into his decision some. Without "dealing with" Pinside he can now focus on his family & his business and sometimes that is what you have to do. Sometimes it just takes a "little tweak" to get things back on track and other times it takes something more drastic. Whatever his reasons I am sure Chris just did what he had to do to keep things flowing smoothly.

#9917 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I think his kids are too young still but to maintain that kind of posting pace requires an assistant! Not sure he considers it valuable to hire someone to deal with the social media side of things. It's not like he needs exposure at this point, I'm sure he's got business for years to come.

Although I loooove this thread I always felt it must be a drag on his overall productivity.

#9918 2 years ago

Heck
I would be happy with his just posting the final end project photos of each completed pin, just before shipping out.

The tedium of posting each day (hour)
all of the each and every step of an overhaul project
was getting into overkill and I am sure a huge time kill for him,
though filled with very interesting and valuable info.

#9919 2 years ago

Chris said he is taking a 30 day break. He’ll be back. He is updating current projects here: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/Current-Projects

#9920 2 years ago
Quoted from Jack8765:

Chris said he is taking a 30 day break. He’ll be back. He is updating current projects here: http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/Current-Projects

Thanks for the link.

#9921 2 years ago

Chris has answered many of my questions. I am just 5 years into this hobby. His painting skills are something that takes years to perfect. Just love watching him work through the paint process.

Posting as he has been doing is good for his business but he is known well enough that he would not have to post to get any new business. He is probably a bit burnt out. Even doing something you love takes its toll.

#9922 2 years ago

I think we need to respect his time more and realize how busy he is, the less questions, the less private messages, the better. I think he tries to be nice and help people out but he already spends enough time posting pics and info here. Don't know this for a fact but just my 2 cents....

#9923 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think we need to respect his time more and realize how busy he is, the less questions, the less private messages, the better. I think he tries to be nice and help people out but he already spends enough time posting pics and info here. Don't know this for a fact but just my 2 cents....

All the guy said was he's taking a break? It's pretty clear everyone here respects him immensely, bordering on worship.

Personally I would never PM him unless I had my checkbook out.

#9924 2 years ago

No Pinside drama or anything as Chris explains here:

He mentioned he is refreshing his website and will be updating on YouTube. Check out his channel. The videos are awesome!

#9925 2 years ago

Didn't realize he had a YouTube channel. He's got about 650 subscribers, everyone should subscribe. Maybe we can get him over 1000, when you hit that number you can at least get paid something for the ads they run on your channel. Probably not much but better than zero.

#9926 2 years ago
Quoted from Jack8765:

He mentioned he is refreshing his website

http://www.highendpins.com/

Nice gallery there to help with Chris withdrawals.

LTG : )

#9927 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Didn't realize he had a YouTube channel. He's got about 650 subscribers, everyone should subscribe. Maybe we can get him over 1000, when you hit that number you can at least get paid something for the ads they run on your channel. Probably not much but better than zero.

There should be a sticky thread on Pinside to get him to 1000

#9928 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

All the guy said was he's taking a break? It's pretty clear everyone here respects him immensely, bordering on worship.
Personally I would never PM him unless I had my checkbook out.

I have dropped a couple machines with Chris over the years for customers and have also dropped some parts and stuff off to him. He is a class act all the way around and has built an amazing business & great business model over the years. However as I have said more than once on Pinside in the past -- when your in a customer service business for years and dealing with the public everyday it can get to be too much sometimes.

I will miss seeing his updates here on Pinside while he is gone (his post are typically the only reason I look at Pinside anymore). But I think he made a very "smart move" taking a break and refocusing his energy in other directions. I don't know if he will still be looking at peoples post here on Pinside but if he does I want to thank him again for everything. Keep up the great work Chris!

#9929 2 years ago

YouTube channel is here:
https://youtube.com/user/highendpins

Subscribe!

#9930 2 years ago

I am the lucky owner of that Congo playfield and some others that Chris has restored over the last decade and a half for me. Not only has he helped me take my pins to a new level, he has restored his lifestyle, fitness regime and diet and shared it with all of us which is a heathy reminder of what is important after pinball. He is a champion and I personally can't wait to have him back, but only after he has finished my playfield only restos lol. You know I love you Chris, cheers from your Aussie mate Terry.

#9931 2 years ago

Saw the video's but I'm all ready on pinside so i be happy its here on pinside. It makes me read text even if digital.

#9932 2 years ago

The cracked wood just opens up the clear. [quoted image][quoted image]
The idea is to start building the surface up so you can start dealing with some of these problems on future passes.

I have learned so much from this thread over the years. Thank you. This post about clear opening up from cracked wood helps me immensely. I am always working on roached playfields that you would throw away in a heartbeat when doing my personal projects. I like the challenge, the process, and am not trying to make a living with it so don’t mind spending ungodly amounts of time.

This picture and comment explains what I always run into in the early stages of clearing a playfield. I always thought it was poor technique on my part. Now I understand it’s not just luck that my later in the process clearcoat is always better than the first coat which almost always has those openings.

2 weeks later
#9933 2 years ago

I check in every day to get my HEP fix. I see Chris has posted a YouTube video.

#9934 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

He has posted a bunch of videos in the last few days. I found it Very enjoyable watching the vids. You fellas looking for some hep should check them out. Cheers.

#9935 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

That TOTAN looks like it has seen a lot of quarters!

#9936 2 years ago

The videos are great, hope he keeps doing them

#9937 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Me too. But I wish he was still regularly posting here. However, I’m sure it takes a lot of his time posting that could be better spent restoring games.

#9938 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Agreed. And I'd bet that they take less time to do than posting here all day.

#9939 2 years ago

Chris is an extremely smart guy and he knows he needs to keep changing with the times. Pinside was a great place for him to be over the past several years but he has so much work now he can afford to "take a break" from Pinside and try other avenues. Where things end up in the end is hard to say but I do know Chris is smart enough to do what is necessary and what is best for him.

Hard to believe what a business a simply auto body guy has built. It just proves if you are good at what you do you can basically name your price and still keep busy. Chris could likely charge a lot more than he does and still have plenty of work but he is the kind of guy who still wants to keep prices within reach as much as possible.

Like everyone else I miss my "daily fix" but I realize things change over time.

#9940 2 years ago

that AFM "clear" peeling was crazy...

#9941 2 years ago

Probably thru youtube, he can monetize depending on his viewership and downloads.
Small it may be.
A lot less time taking and uploading photos and typing details and discussions,
when he can just hit record and talk for 10 minutes, then upload to internet.
And eventually get 5 to 10 times the eyeballs he can get on pinside.
More power to him for his efforts.

#9942 2 years ago

His last post was simply stated he was taking a break for a bit: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/199#post-6440191

He doesn't say why, he doesn't say he's moving everything to another platform, doesn't say he'll never be back, or anything else. Anything anyone states here as to the "why" is pure speculation (which I realize is kind of fun). While I in no way can speak for him, I do know he is a stand-up guy and I'm sure if he has plans of not returning and/or moving to another platform he would let all of his loyal Pinside followers know.

#9943 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

His last post was simply stated he was taking a break for a bit: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/199#post-6440191
He doesn't say why, he doesn't say he's moving everything to another platform, doesn't say he'll never be back, or anything else. Anything anyone states here as to the "why" is pure speculation (which I realize is kind of fun). While I in no way can speak for him, I do know he is a stand-up guy and I'm sure if he has plans of not returning and/or moving to another platform he would let all of his loyal Pinside followers know.

I agree 100% There is no doubt in my mind Chris will be back here on Pinside. The only question (only he can answer down the road) is to what extent.

With the backlog of work he has I am sure "taking a break" was the smartest thing to do for him. This way he can explore things like youtube -- still giving people who love to see him in action a place to go while still getting a break from Pinside. One thing 100% for sure is there is only one HEP and for him to keep doing his amazing work he needs to do all he can to avoid getting burned out.

#9944 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Probably thru youtube, he can monetize depending on his viewership and downloads.
Small it may be.
A lot less time taking and uploading photos and typing details and discussions,
when he can just hit record and talk for 10 minutes, then upload to internet.
And eventually get 5 to 10 times the eyeballs he can get on pinside.
More power to him for his efforts.

It is extremely difficult to make any money at all on YouTube. I doubt if anyone focusing on pinball is making anything. You have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in a year to even qualify to start making money. HEP is nowhere close to that. Clay does have more than 2000 subscribers and 600,000 total views. Socialblade shows his estimated income at $12 to $198 PER YEAR. Usually the reality is close to the lower end. In other words, basically nothing. PAPApinball has 18,000 subscribers and almost 6 million total views. Their estimated annual income is $200 to $3,000.

This is a good video to see the reality of the situation. Here’s a guy that is approaching 1 million subscribers and has well over 100 million views. He is hardly getting rich from YouTube. He makes around $40,000 a year. I doubt if any channel focusing on pinball will ever get even close those kinds of views. Unless you are a Kardashian or Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran it’s very tough to make significant money.

I have a somewhat liked video with 5000 views and after it started to pick up views I noticed that there are video ads running at the beginning of it all the time. So someone is making money off it. Not me though. I have 12 subscribers LOL. Feel free to subscribe!

And subscribe to HEPs channel. We got him from 650 to about 725 so far.

#9945 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It is extremely difficult to make any money at all on YouTube. I doubt if anyone focusing on pinball is making anything. You have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in a year to even qualify to start making money. HEP is nowhere close to that. Clay does have more than 2000 subscribers and 600,000 total views. Socialblade shows his estimated income at $12 to $198 PER YEAR. Usually the reality is close to the lower end. In other words, basically nothing. PAPApinball has 18,000 subscribers and almost 6 million total views. Their estimated annual income is $200 to $3,000..

That's because none of these pinball people put in the volume, format, or pimping necessary to be a full time youtuber. They need to be putting out regular content FREQUENTLY that people watch.. that's what builds the sub counts and view counts. It's why the full timers focus on putting out videos near daily, with minimum lengths.

People make money - but it's a not a fire-and-forget environment. It's a grind. Even the popular podcasters in our hobby don't put out the kind of volume needed to 'live' off youtube.

That said... people like Chris gotta start somewhere. Can't make the numbers if you aren't creating content

#9946 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's because none of these pinball people put in the volume, format, or pimping necessary to be a full time youtuber. They need to be putting out regular content FREQUENTLY that people watch.. that's what builds the sub counts and view counts. It's why the full timers focus on putting out videos near daily, with minimum lengths.
People make money - but it's a not a fire-and-forget environment. It's a grind. Even the popular podcasters in our hobby don't put out the kind of volume needed to 'live' off youtube.
That said... people like Chris gotta start somewhere. Can't make the numbers if you aren't creating content

All true. I should have added, there can still be a benefit, just as was posted above, there is value when he shares all of his work in this thread or in a YouTube video. If some people see that and decide to send him some business because of what they saw, then that is all good, it is a payoff.

#9947 2 years ago

He said today he is not trying to make money via YouTube, just update his videos to reflect his current level of work.

Also, his collection of colored wire makes me so fucking jealous every time I see it because I'm OCD and always have to use the correct color.

#9948 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It is extremely difficult to make any money at all on YouTube. I doubt if anyone focusing on pinball is making anything. You have to have 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in a year to even qualify to start making money. HEP is nowhere close to that. Clay does have more than 2000 subscribers and 600,000 total views. Socialblade shows his estimated income at $12 to $198 PER YEAR. Usually the reality is close to the lower end. In other words, basically nothing. PAPApinball has 18,000 subscribers and almost 6 million total views. Their estimated annual income is $200 to $3,000.
This is a good video to see the reality of the situation. Here’s a guy that is approaching 1 million subscribers and has well over 100 million views. He is hardly getting rich from YouTube. He makes around $40,000 a year. I doubt if any channel focusing on pinball will ever get even close those kinds of views. Unless you are a Kardashian or Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran it’s very tough to make significant money.

I have a somewhat liked video with 5000 views and after it started to pick up views I noticed that there are video ads running at the beginning of it all the time. So someone is making money off it. Not me though. I have 12 subscribers LOL. Feel free to subscribe!
And subscribe to HEPs channel. We got him from 650 to about 725 so far.

I am a fulltime YouTuber. I have several active channels, and I have helped several others become fulltime YouTubers. Watch out for the SocialBlade projections... they can be in the ballpark, but it isn't set in stone. The typical average is to make about $2 per thousand views... but some categories (like financial services) can get well above $10 per thousand. It all depends on the demos of your content. A rule of thumb is that you need at least 100k views/day for it to be a fulltime gig.

As far as HEP... If he wants to juice up his channel I would be happy to help! We can definitely get him monetized!

#9949 2 years ago

Fun factor on this step is a zero
Cabinets are laid out and then the original is measured [quoted image]
[quoted image]
The measurements are slightly tweaked to insure the best possible fit,lifting and lowering of the playfield. [quoted image]
A forstener bit is used because of the ability to use the pin point of it directly on the measurements
The initial drill is done only through a small portion of the top layer [quoted image]
It is then checked again for accuracy of the spacing of adjustment is needed then it is not too late [quoted image]
Once confirmed or adjusted it is drilled through using a drill block and normal bit. [quoted image]
[quoted image]
Everything looks good now for the other side.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I know this is old and that Chris is not updating this thread, however, can someone provide first hand details on how to accurately measure the location of these holes? It seems obvious but then it is not really, for example, how do you find the absolute center of that hole to finish your measurement off.

thanks

#9950 2 years ago

The IJ switches are wired with color correct wire and lug protection where appropriate and two pin plugs
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Even though each switch now uses a two pin plug the color correct wire helps guide anyone with common sense in the future and the only risk of interchanging the plugs will be the wrong switch signaling so nothing that could do any harm. [quoted image]
By doing this switches become easily serviceable as individuals and they can be quickly disconnected and interchanged for trouble shooting if needed or replaced outside of the game on a workbench. [quoted image][quoted image]
This will also help loosen a tight spot in the harness that runs too close to the drop target bank. [quoted image]
[quoted image]
The targets will be done as a group the same way and it will help further provide some slack in this tighter area.
[quoted image]

I want to do this to my IJ and been practicing to crimp two cables in 1 cable and I failed miserably... wondering what the technic is... I am considering running a 3rd cable from the switch and use a 3 pin connector instead... but it is more work...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
There are 14,723 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 295.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/199 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.