IMG_0878 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0873 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,725 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 295.
#801 5 years ago

I really enjoy following your restorations. You're production rate is phenomenal! Can you share a few facts; such as how many pins have you've restored, when did it become a full-time gig, favorite and least favorite aspect of restoration, do you ever tire of doing the same pins, most challenging aspect (electronics, PF, cabinet, etc.), what's your average throughput, is there an apprentice or prodigy in the wings to pick up when when you retire?
Thanks!

#802 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Playfield wiring is complete less the flippers.
Before I place them I am test fitting a new set of stern restong brackets

I installed them in my JP and my TFTC ...
Small thing go a long way

#803 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I really enjoy following your restorations. You're production rate is phenomenal! Can you share a few facts; such as how many pins have you've restored, when did it become a full-time gig, favorite and least favorite aspect of restoration, do you ever tire of doing the same pins, most challenging aspect (electronics, PF, cabinet, etc.), what's your average throughput, is there an apprentice or prodigy in the wings to pick up when when you retire?
Thanks!

Nice to hear.
I lost count of how many games I have restored. Close to 500 would just be a rough guess based on how many years I have been doing this.

In 2004 I started doing this full time but I think of only the branded games as truly HEP examples. Those started around 2013 and I guess the reality is it took almost nine years of daily practice to get to that point.

My favorite and at the same time least favorite aspect of the restorations are the cabinet and playfield repaints.
They are my favorite because I am a highly skilled auto painter by trade and I love putting that ability to use in this hobby but they are my least favorite because it is a time consuming aspect of the process that can be tough to factor in time wise. I lose much more than I win there in time and financially but if all I could handle or took on were new playfields and cabinet decal jobs it wouldn’t be much of a restoration service.
Second Is hard to find parts. This often means calling in favors,paying a premium for something,having it made or doing the best with what you have up work with.

I don’t ever tire of the process regardless of the title but I will say I have more internal enthusiasm for doing the first ever Dr Who than the fiftieth AFM for example.
There is a sweet spot there also where it is the fourth or fifth time you are doing a title and you are familiar but not bored with it. That said I am really just trying to make the owner of the game happy and that is the most important aspect. I mean that sincerely. No bullshit. We all have to work hard for our money and it is a luxury for most that needs to meet expectations.

I average two games a month. Three would be more ideal financially but it is just me working and quality comes first so I would rather turn out two excellent jobs than three good ones.

No apprentice so far. The oldest son is 20 and works at a factory and is a great kid but still finding his way in this world. .
The youngest is 18 and special needs. His school actually made headlines today unfortunately with the shooting. He goes to Butler High here in Matthews. Luckily he is a challenge to get to school on time so by the time my wife arrived with him it was already locked down.

Lots of things go on in the background here when it comes to that stuff.

#804 5 years ago

My thoughts are out to your son and everyone at Butler High School.

#805 5 years ago

Please, no one, let this derail the tread. But for those interested/wondering, here's an article on the school shooting: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/cnn10/north-carolina-high-school-shooting/index.html

Sad. So very sad.

#806 5 years ago

Hinges are retextured and refinished.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you think that textured would work on a lock down bar?

#807 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinsterwmass:

Do you think that textured would work on a lock down bar?

Yes works well for that also.

#808 5 years ago

Tommy Speaker panel now has the correct brackets.
Thanks to lordloss for pointing e towards them.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#809 5 years ago

Tommy lives.

#810 5 years ago

Couple more hours and Tommy will be done then we move onto TAF ,POTO nd EBD.
Maybe Dr Who as well.

Finding the NoS plastic set was a huge blessing to this project above all else.
Still need to sort out the silver ball target but I have been in contact with a person that has one so it should all work out.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#811 5 years ago

Maybe Dr Who as well.
Still need to sort out the silver ball target but I have been in contact with a person that has one so it should all work out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

GAP might be a good source as well

#813 5 years ago

Maybe Dr Who as well.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice job Chris!!

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from djh00000:

Very nice job Chris!!

Thanks Dan.
Couldn’t have done it to this level without you.

#815 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

GAP might be a good source as well

Thanks. That is who I am in contact with.

#816 5 years ago

Tommy is done.
Might get it outside for final pictures before it leaves but with it being Halloween I might not given the timing of picture taking.

649B0BB4-95C6-4A36-828F-E6DF149B3702 (resized).jpeg649B0BB4-95C6-4A36-828F-E6DF149B3702 (resized).jpegC54B902E-ACF1-4EA7-9CF8-40DC2FE51E64 (resized).jpegC54B902E-ACF1-4EA7-9CF8-40DC2FE51E64 (resized).jpegFDDD0D0D-DE82-4869-B43D-DE7971854EF6 (resized).jpegFDDD0D0D-DE82-4869-B43D-DE7971854EF6 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#817 5 years ago

Gorgeous! The last this you need is a bunch of trick-or-treaters crawling all over this work of art!

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Gorgeous! The last this you need is a bunch of trick-or-treaters crawling all over this work of art!

Yeah the thought of that and no proper silverball target is what haunts me this Halloween.

#819 5 years ago

Almost forgot. Nos topper placed.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#820 5 years ago

Next up is this TAF. Perfect choice for Halloween

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#821 5 years ago

Can’t wait to see this one. I hope to own a TAF one day.

#822 5 years ago

Hopefully that shooter knob is on its way to the trash.

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

yeah, why on earth would they put a clay harrell shooter knob on that TAF?

#824 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Definitely. I never put stuff like that on these games unless totally forced and if so don’t expect any final pictures

#825 5 years ago

Starting the gutting process on the current TAF.
This will restore as I go since I already have a cabinet and playfield ready for it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#826 5 years ago

Final Tommy pictures.
Going to beat the trick or treaters.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#827 5 years ago

Yea cause the real treat would be to play that machine, eff the candy!!

Beautiful as always!

#828 5 years ago

Waiting out the last bit of sunlight on this side.
Close as I come to a Halloween costume these days.
Dressed up as an old guy drinking beer.

E2580271-0F66-4750-A429-304C77F8A2C0 (resized).jpegE2580271-0F66-4750-A429-304C77F8A2C0 (resized).jpeg
#829 5 years ago

Final Tommy pictures.

Once again .. amazing!

#830 5 years ago

That Tommy is beautiful! Is the cab stencil/painted, or decals?

#831 5 years ago

More Tommy pictures less sunlight.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#832 5 years ago

Playfield lower.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#833 5 years ago

Playfield mid.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#834 5 years ago

Playfield upper with temporary Silverball target.

#835 5 years ago

Inside.
In case anyone is wondering the two black round disc decals are evenly placed to keep the apron from scuffing the side when wrestling into position.
These Data East playfields can walk all around the inside of a cabinet so it is a thought out application.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#836 5 years ago

Love this part.

#837 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That Tommy is beautiful! Is the cab stencil/painted, or decals?

Stencil painted. Covered somewhere in this thread. It is a marathon type thread.

#838 5 years ago

Sounds like fun, wish I was closer.
Happy Halloween.

#839 5 years ago

Not sure what the laws are like in the US, but here in Canada that can land you in some trouble.

**Dammit got beat to the punchline...

#840 5 years ago

I should know this since I used to own one, but did Tommy originally have pegs instead of rails?

#841 5 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Not sure what the laws are like in the US, but here in Canada that can land you in some trouble.

I will just let the local dentist handle it in a few months.

#842 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I should know this since I used to own one, but did Tommy originally have pegs instead of rails?

Yes has something like those newer style pegs.

#843 5 years ago

What were you drinking in the driveway? Looks like a Belgian Quad or something nice!

#844 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

What were you drinking in the driveway? Looks like a Belgian Quad or something nice!

It was one of the Founders Barrel Aged beers. Better half I think.

#845 5 years ago

Have you ever done a Tommy with mirror blades? I was thinking of doing this, but your recent posts puts this in question. I don’t want it to be so tight it scratches the mirror blades too bad. Could the additional bumpers you have added protect them, or is the playfield to cab too tight for this? Thanks for your expertise.

#846 5 years ago

Nice color on the pop bumpers. I like the blue posts as well.

#847 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Have you ever done a Tommy with mirror blades? I was thinking of doing this, but your recent posts puts this in question. I don’t want it to be so tight it scratches the mirror blades too bad. Could the additional bumpers you have added protect them, or is the playfield to cab too tight for this? Thanks for your expertise.

I haven’t tried it yet.
The problem with the potential scratches on these games comes from the fact the playfield isn’t fixed or locked to the cabinet in anyway. That means you can easily and often slide it in and out crooked. That is what will often scuff it up.
Also you really have to jam it to place it back in the resting position.
Tough design to keep looking fresh inside if you open it up often without lots of care and protection.

#848 5 years ago

TAF speaker panel is rebuilt after teardown and polishing.

This game came in with a ColorDMD LCD but is being switched to the LED version.
I will need to grab a Thing light board from the warehouse next time I am there to replace the missing one.
Will also be using the Pinsound board by request.
It will be the third time I do that and have to admit the last two times I found it buggy. Hopefully this one goes better.

#849 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

If you do it I would suggest always sliding in some poster paper when raising and lowering. Been doing that with my rct since I put in the art blades and my Comet since it seems to have some scraping issues in the past.

#850 5 years ago

Tommy came out great. Looking forward to TAF build! Thanks again for posting all these different builds. Fun to watch!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.00
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lewiston, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
There are 14,725 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 295.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/17?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.