IMG_0831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0837 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0834 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0830 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0832 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0829 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

210 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,724 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 295.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

When your trying to sand the clear to get rid of edges, there's a fine line (see what I did there) between sanding too much and taking paint off, or sanding too little and not getting rid of the edges. I guess it's just experience? Take that letter 'B' for instance, that's from sanding, I assume. I'm also assuming that you save the paint so you can touch that up. But doesn't touching up that red create as bump with the paint that will show up through the next layer of clear?

Yes you have to have an eye and feel for it .
That mark in the B is actually from peeling the stencils off. Some details are small and you can nick it peeling it off.
I use the same paint to repaint but it doesn’t make bumps or edges because it takes so much less spraying to tighten the questionable spots up than it did to create the art over a blank. So just a mist over something that is 99% there compared to a true three or four coats of color.

#702 5 years ago

Tommy cabinet ready for final clear.
Owner prefers full gloss so I will go that route and knock it down to about 90% gloss level just so it won’t lookbto obnoxious.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#703 5 years ago

Final clear is in the Tommy cabinet and head.

IJ plane also.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#704 5 years ago

I may have missed it reading through your many awesome threads, but I assume at some point you paint and clear the bottom side of the head, maybe even the bottom of the cabinet. when do you do that? what is the sequence. thanks.

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I may have missed it reading through your many awesome threads, but I assume at some point you paint and clear the bottom side of the head, maybe even the bottom of the cabinet. when do you do that? what is the sequence. thanks.

I actually don’t paint the bottom of the head or cabinet.
What I prefer is to sand those clean after the painting is done.
The reason I do not paint the bottom of the head is that paint on paint can bond together so by leaving the bottom of the head bare wood makes sure it can’t happen once the head is placed.
I don’t paint the bottom of the cabinet because I like the natural look of it. To me a clean floor and bottom side of a cabinet is a symbol of a cabinet that is truly nice with nothing to hide.

#706 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I actually don’t paint the bottom of the head or cabinet.
What I prefer is to sand those clean after the painting is done.
The reason I do not paint the bottom of the head is that paint on paint can bond together so by leaving the bottom of the head bare wood makes sure it can’t happen once the head is placed.
I don’t paint the bottom of the cabinet because I like the natural look of it. To me a clean floor and bottom side of a cabinet is a symbol of a cabinet that is truly nice with nothing to hide.

So just bare wood, interesting ... edit reading comprehension

#707 5 years ago

Building up the IJ POA. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Just like the main playfield. All switches are being replaced.

#708 5 years ago

Very common on IJ the inner lower POA switch legs can get bent.

I will run the diode very tight and shrink it. This will be more low profile than using clear tubing making it less likely to hit anything when functioning in the game.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#709 5 years ago

POA is installed and tested.

#710 5 years ago

Just one ramp and a couple details left on IJ.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#711 5 years ago

What do you think about the new mode start ball stop you installed?

#712 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What do you think about the new mode start ball stop you installed?

That works great in testing.
I will know more once I put it through the game play testing.

#713 5 years ago

Playfield build for IJ is complete.

#714 5 years ago

Tommy cabinet is out of the paint shop.

Good match to the original just much nicer.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#715 5 years ago

The heads side by side.

#716 5 years ago

The heads side by side.
[quoted image]

Nicely done Chris!

#717 5 years ago

Grand Prix is now working properly
Big thanks to Tom Taylor for coming by last night and working me through to the solution.
The ball count stepper was not fully engaging so it always thought the game was on ball one. That is why it would do an endless 4 player game regardless of credits added.
Tore that down this morning and cleaned,lubed and adjusted everything. 563A676D-F566-4A4E-BFD0-121DE6194BFF (resized).jpeg563A676D-F566-4A4E-BFD0-121DE6194BFF (resized).jpeg
4EBBF637-9BCD-4714-8869-A51DCBEDF35F (resized).jpeg4EBBF637-9BCD-4714-8869-A51DCBEDF35F (resized).jpeg

Now a single player game can be completed.

F3F732D6-9497-4EDF-AD30-2185EE6E187A (resized).jpegF3F732D6-9497-4EDF-AD30-2185EE6E187A (resized).jpeg

#718 5 years ago

And a match! Nice work!

#719 5 years ago

Multiplayer problem solved, fantastic. Sounds like Tom Taylor knows his stuff!

#720 5 years ago

Grand Prix was fine tuned this morning and now ready to go back to the warehouse.

#721 5 years ago

Tommy project is really looking good for this week.
I landed a NOS topper and plastic set in a small lot of Tommy parts.
Thank you Dan!

#722 5 years ago

Chris, I am curious your opinions of todays cabinet decals. Do you use the Next Gen decals or do you have some way to get screen printed product? I recently noticed that there were some silk screened TZ decals up on Ebay for a huge amount of $. I am just curious what a pro thinks of differences or if they are negligable?

#723 5 years ago

I notice the Data East logo on the Tommy is quite a bit different on the stencil from the original. Such a weird thing to screw up when making stencils (I assume it wasn't you who made them).

#724 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Chris, I am curious your opinions of todays cabinet decals. Do you use the Next Gen decals or do you have some way to get screen printed product? I recently noticed that there were some silk screened TZ decals up on Ebay for a huge amount of $. I am just curious what a pro thinks of differences or if they are negligable?

It is really hard to say on the decal situation.
Some are great,others terrible.
Anytime I can paint or stencil instead of decal I do that even though it is much more work.
Screen printed is best, next generation from certain sources is good at times as well.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I notice the Data East logo on the Tommy is quite a bit different on the stencil from the original. Such a weird thing to screw up when making stencils (I assume it wasn't you who made them).

I don’t think they screwed it up what happens is that the stencils are created off a set of cabinet decals I preferred not to use.
I am more than happy with it.
Only semi noticeable side by side,truly painted and not decaled. Great trade off.

#726 5 years ago

IJ finished.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#727 5 years ago

Cabinet details.
Lighting is not perfect on one side but it will take a few more days to figure out the best time of the day with the shorter amount of daylight now.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#728 5 years ago

Playfield lower and mid.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#729 5 years ago

Playfield mid and upper.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#730 5 years ago

Inside.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#731 5 years ago

Better lighting now. Short window.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#732 5 years ago

That is a beautiful IJ better than new from the factory.

#733 5 years ago

Grand Prix back at the warehouse.

Grabbing one of the locally built EBD cabs to put in the paint shop.

#734 5 years ago

Grabbing one of the locally built EBD cabs to put in the paint shop.
[quoted image]

That’s what I’m talking about, Chris! Woot!

#735 5 years ago

You wood burned the bottom of the playfield. That just a coolness factor?

#736 5 years ago

Is the old topper for sale? Ive been looking for two years and only saw one nos one pop up and sell instantly.

#737 5 years ago

Beautiful work....

#738 5 years ago

Looks like a better quality cabinet but I guess we will see when you start.
Does your local guy use Cnc or is it done by hand?

#739 5 years ago

IJ is packing and heading to the warehouse. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Locally built EBD cabinets are in the paint shop.

#740 5 years ago

Inside.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Officially sealed!

#741 5 years ago

Time to start assembly of the Tommy.
Need to complete the game by months end if possible.

First step will be placing any remaining blocks or chocks then ground braiding.

#742 5 years ago

I hope Doctor Who is up soon!!

#743 5 years ago

Tommy lower is braided with cabinet protectors and upgraded leg plates installed.
The rear right is modified to clear the power cord housing.

#744 5 years ago

New rails installed on the lower.

#745 5 years ago

Trying to figure out what I want to do with the back of the head.
I don’t have a Data East warning text screen and so far I don’t do enough of them to justify having one made.

I do have black ink and could do a Williams System 11 screen or WPC screen on there. Obviously it would not be correct but it would look more complete.
Thoughts?

#746 5 years ago

I don’t have a Data East warning text screen and so far I don’t do enough of them to justify having one made.
I do have black ink and could do a Williams System 11 screen or WPC screen on there. Obviously it would not be correct but it would look more complete.
Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

If it were mine, I would probably want to leave it blank if it couldn't be accurate. Or maybe some sort of Tommy related custom uniqueness on the back.

#747 5 years ago

Exactly. With your level of detail, it would be consistent (and I believe better) to leave the back of the head blank rather than the wrong silkscreen. I'm assuming that you are being asked by the client to be faithful to the original. If not, I always thought the whole "silver ball" theme with Tommy called for mirror blades and highly chromed rails and lock bar. Same with the shooter... it should be a chrome pinball.

I have an idea for a repaint of the cab. I am in the process of trying to make faithful stencils for the cabinet art. If I may ask, do you have the file for sale or can your supplier do one offs? This is for personal use. If I'm violating some pin etiquette by asking, then just ignore the request. No offense is meant. Your work just inspires me to get off my ass and get what is in my head into actual motion.

#748 5 years ago

Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would just use the wpc one.

No one reads it and it looks official.

Without it, it looks too bare.

If not that then a high end pins logo, stylishly centered and done.

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

If it were mine, I would probably want to leave it blank if it couldn't be accurate. Or maybe some sort of Tommy related custom uniqueness on the back.

Yes that is what I did last time and it looked good.
I should have done something custom back there when I was painting the cabinet but it was a tough enough job on its own I didn’t even think of it.

At this point it has to be screened with something or left blank. No painting.
I do have the decal for the lock though so I will at least use that to direct the owner and others about latching.

#750 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Exactly. With your level of detail, it would be consistent (and I believe better) to leave the back of the head blank rather than the wrong silkscreen. I'm assuming that you are being asked by the client to be faithful to the original. If not, I always thought the whole "silver ball" theme with Tommy called for mirror blades and highly chromed rails and lock bar. Same with the shooter... it should be a chrome pinball.
I have an idea for a repaint of the cab. I am in the process of trying to make faithful stencils for the cabinet art. If I may ask, do you have the file for sale or can your supplier do one offs? This is for personal use. If I'm violating some pin etiquette by asking, then just ignore the request. No offense is meant. Your work just inspires me to get off my ass and get what is in my head into actual motion.

Yes he wants it to be a nice original style restore. Doesn’t mind some minor things and prefers a bit of shine.
I thought about doing one with the original art but in the Union Jack color scheme but no one is any fun these days

I don’t have a file I am not a computer ,graphic arts guy but you can pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,724 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 295.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.