Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mac622
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat_its_beautiful[1].jpg
    cab 2.JPG
    DSC04912.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 10 years ago

Thank you for sharing all these great pictures and knowledge with us! I'm in the process of doing my Whirlwind playfield swap and game restoration and this will be a big help in guiding me along the way. HEP is the best in the business and I'm grateful to be able to learn some techniques from the master! You are a true asset to the community.

#35 10 years ago

Hey Chris,
    I was curious as to what your thoughts were as far as putting LED's in restorations of games that originally came with incandescent bulbs. I tend to be a bit of a purist myself and have put incandescent bulbs in all 3 games that I've done complete swaps on as well as games that I've done regular shop jobs on. I may put a few strategic LED's to highlight a feature or brighten up dark inserts but for the most part I like to make games look as close to original as possible.

I know that the hobby now seems to be trending towards putting LED's in everything including GI. Are most of your customers now asking for full LED's in classic games like TAF, TZ, and MM or are you still mostly dealing with traditional bulbs? What is your personal preference? Thanks,
    Mike

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I typically go the direction I am lead these days.Normally you get a sense who is a purist and who is in the middle of the road as well as who wants something over the top by the various request made during the build.
    For myself personally I prefer standard bulbs and only minor modifications that are mainly game play enhancing but that isn't to say I have not enjoyed building some more extreme examples.The variety is nice but at the end of the day the more straight forward the game the easier it is to maintain and the better the overall quality of it shines through without the fancy mods or trim taking too much of the credit..

Thanks for the quick response! That makes perfect sense and kind of what I was figuring.

Since you're taking questions, I've got one more:

On my Whirlwind that I'm currently restoring, the cabinet is actually quite nice and unfaded and I was planning on filling in/touching up vs. applying new decals. Is there a product that you would recommend for filling in small areas.-say a little chip on the corner of the head and filling in security bar holes that is easily sandable/paintable? On your site I see you often use a mix of resin/carbon filler and hardener. Is this what you would recommend for minor blemish repair or would something like Dolphin Glaze or Bondo be a better option? Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-restoration-albums-fully-unlocked?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.