image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#243 5 years ago

Regarding the diluted Simple Green and soaking wiring: Any concerns of contaminants or cleaner getting trapped in the wire (i.e. think longevity - years or decades later?)

I've seen a fair number of people use this method, but have been always hesitant and still clean wires by hand. Do you warm the wiring to try to evaporate and residual water (sorry if missed it if mentioned)?

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I actually do not use Simple Green personally because I think it has some corrosive properties.
Orange based cleaners are my preference because they do not.
No long term concerns as long as you do a thorough job of rinsing and blowing all the connectors dry soon after the soak.
That gap between the soak,rinse and dry if too long is where you could risk contamination.

Oops about Simple Green - missed you mentioned it was orange based. Wouldn't have thought about the difference tho - good comment.

I actually looked up Simple Green and it is indeed corrosive and they mentioned guidelines on proper usage (mostly cleaning time and rinsing). Orange cleaners, if they use the proper ingredients, are not corrosive. From one random seller's (EcoLink- Vortex) web site "This blend of natural ingredients is a 100% organic formulation representing a completely new approach in one step degreasing. It is non-corrosive and contains no petroleum distillates, halogenated solvents or alkalis." But it also sounds like some citrus based cleaners, if they go the cheap route, might still be corrosive. Depends on what part of the orange or additives they use. Of course I should add - I don't work for or sell Vortex. Just interesting reading!

Excellent answers. May have to rethink my laborious wire cleaning strategy and look closer at my cleaners!

Another seller even mentions 'non corrosive" on the label. Hmmm.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#334 5 years ago

Transformer cleaned
Blackened
Installed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What did you use to clean and blacken the outside of the core?

#381 5 years ago

I'm still a noob at this, and one thing I've purposely done is to not take everything off at once. Just too many little do-dads that I'd forget where they went. Hundreds and hundreds of photos of everything, and possible every angle helps a lot. But I only tackle small sections at a time despite taking forever. More often than not, I almost cringe when I see one for sale that been 'stripped and cleaned' - worries me that they didn't put things back correctly.

How do you keep everything sorted out? Have you just done so many it's second nature? Got any of the factory assembly manuals (not a repair manual, but the build instructions for the worker bees)?

Sorry for all the questions!

#400 5 years ago

HEP,

This thread has been very intriguing to see the progress and attention to the detail. Now a sidebar question...maybe a new thread or add at the end of this one when finished that gives us a quick history about how you got to this level of detail? Obviously, it had to start at one point of just fixing a broken pin. But did the level of detail ramp up quickly or did it simply progress gradually? Did you learn to solder, understand any electronics, methods of cleaning, painting, etc. and was it self taught? Did you have some to help guide you on the way? By no means want you to spend a night typing a long story, but something brief would be rather interesting.

#402 5 years ago

Perfect! Great reading the 'behind the scenes stories."

#429 5 years ago

This sort of sums up a H.E.P. restore...before and after:
1 (resized).PNG1 (resized).PNG2 (resized).PNG2 (resized).PNG

1 week later
#518 5 years ago

Mitering the cabinet edges...why do after the decal install and not before?

#603 5 years ago

The owner of that game doesn't want to see pictures He wants to be surprised so it would be tough to document that one here

TOTAN: How about after he's received the restored pin?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 64.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-presents-a-tale-of-two-medieval-madnesses?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.