image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 604 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 5 years ago

Center playfield
MM 1image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Ridiculous toy figures and trashed inserts. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2
It also has ridiculous toy figures but they are nicer quality than MM 1. It just seems like anything MM 1 can do MM 2 can do better image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
MM 2 has many more insert issues than you might realize or expect if you know what to look for
The biggest issue is that almost every insert shows edging or cracks in the colors with dirt ground in. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#52 5 years ago

Be cool if u had a mmr to also compare next to these two. Curious the differences CGC against B/W.

#53 5 years ago

Upper center playfield MM 1

Missing the ball trap plastic that goes below the dragon wings on the wireform.
Also has some strange rusted rivet switch on the loop gate.Mixed and not matched hardware and broken ramp protectors image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

More trashed inserts and the wrong targets. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Also missing the ball trap plastic. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Also has one incorrect target

Also has insert issues
The yellow is chipping off the revolt peasants,edging through all colors of the Charge and chipping at the Clash in addition the ghosting that is starting at several center blue inserts. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#54 5 years ago

Upper playfield.
MM 1

Damn

Merlin popper bracket broken off

Drawbridge is 15% homemade 85% beat and 100% garbage.

Broken plastics missing post.

Shiny castle butchered exploding towers assembly. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2 image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Wrong wafer on Lower jet.

Cracked rampimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Weird factory smudge in Fight Insert.

#55 5 years ago

If the guy paying for #1 to be restored had it on route this whole time, then I keep thinking he could easily pay for both restorations

Probably 100k plays on that one???

#56 5 years ago

Now the head MM 1

Has a large chunk missing image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Even stranger is it has 8 evenly spaced holes on each side of the head that are about 1/8 in diameter image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2 is okay has normal nicks and stuff but the joint is broken and it looks like it was pretty rough from day 1 with a delaminated cut used for the top of the head that shows on the face. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#57 5 years ago

what is up with the lock inserts on mm1?

#58 5 years ago

Translite and speaker panels
MM 1

Never seen this one before WTF?
Homemade lift channelimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Came off in my hand when I tried to use it. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Speaker panel lacks chrome script.

Translite eggshell lots of burnt and broken sockets. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2
No problems

#59 5 years ago

New playfields for both?

#60 5 years ago

Boards
MM 1
Has a junky set of speakers. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Driver looks decent is the newer version with the jumpers. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
AV looks ok at a glance does have some exposed wire coming out of the loop. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

CPU has a battery conversion to reverse at the least. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2
Looks good overall has an older ColorDMD and just a hint of battery corrosion at the holder.

#61 5 years ago

Powering up MM 1
When they are this rough it is best to make sure that it has a good transformer and AV board

It amazingly does power up so that is good.
No need to worry about MM 2 but just to make sure I am dealing with no hidden problems I check it

#62 5 years ago

First things first I am going to get anything I can or will need mech wise off of MM 1 pulled and handed off to the plater
That will be things like testing brackets,troll brackets,prop rod etc.

I have enough on hand to do one full MM but not two so I want to grab the rougher parts.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#63 5 years ago

Parts removed and ready for plating. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

All my spares are laid out so I can figure out what I have and what I will need.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#64 5 years ago

How do you do this so fast? It would take me a few days just to pull off a flipper and put it back on.

Do you do board work/repair too?

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How do you do this so fast? It would take me a few days just to pull off a flipper and put it back on.

It's his job. If he was as slow as the rest of us then he'd starve.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

what is up with the lock inserts on mm1?

My first thought was prototype, but the other MM prototypes I've seen have normal green lock inserts, and blue outlines around the castles in the shield area. This MM 1 has neither. But I wouldn't expect the guy "maintaining" it to replace inserts and bother to find correct decals.

#67 5 years ago

Really looking forward to watching this unfold! Reading through the thread, I kept thinking of the old classic Highlights for Kids magazine feature Goofus and Gallant. They were twin brothers and Goofus always made bad decisions and choices while Gallant always made good decisions and showed great manners. So I kept reading MM1 as Goofus and MM2 as Gallant. Cracked me up anyway.

Thanks for sharing!

#68 5 years ago

Pull up the audits on MM1 before you break it down . Someone obviously put a lot of work into keeping that one running. It must have earned a ton

#69 5 years ago

Wireforms are pulledfrom MM 1 image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2

These guys will soon be defending a new castle. Going to let them decide who goes in first.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just keep watching, he hasn't even gotten going yet and the stuff he does so well ad so fast is amazing to see. I have watched many of his threads and from comments he has made I think that basically he can do a machine like this that he has done many times before with his eyes closed. Its all experience man, you do it so often you get good at it. But yes that is combined with talent too, and a good measure of OCD helps which is what I always love. I am hoping for more pics of the wire rack!

I think he sends the boards out?

#71 5 years ago

Wireforms are being packed up and sent out for plating.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#72 5 years ago

This one should be fun.

#73 5 years ago

Apron MM 1
is ready to prep paint and clear. This is what we are dealing with after removing the caution sticker and instruction cards. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

MM 2 after the same.

#74 5 years ago

I know you don't like to talk about costs and dollars as each project is specific to itself, but I'd love to know a percentage cost difference in these 2 MMs when everything is all said and done.....plus how close it came to your original estimate when you took them on.

#75 5 years ago

I need to get the hard residue off MM 1’s apron before proceeding.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Now I can wash and watersand.

#76 5 years ago

MM 1 apron prepped. All art is cleaned and in useable shape.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

The auto fire cover decal is removed because it is stained and will likely peel or fisheye when cleared over. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#77 5 years ago
castle (resized).jpgcastle (resized).jpg
#78 5 years ago

MM 2’s apron is nice overall has a good factory finish and decal that is holding up well.
As a result it it thoroughly washed and only the center ball drain area sanded to be refinished.
I could easily clear it but that can create problems with the auto fire cover decal so based on current condition overall no need to risk that.
I can polish it up a bit later.

#79 5 years ago

MM 1 apron is being carefully masked in order to metal etch and black out.

Then metal etched and blacked out. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#80 5 years ago

MM 1 apron unmasked gets a couple minor touch ups then cleared.

#81 5 years ago

MM 2 apron

Center drain section masked 4BF0BC5A-5528-46F5-965B-F138AA74F2A2 (resized).jpeg4BF0BC5A-5528-46F5-965B-F138AA74F2A2 (resized).jpeg

Etched and blacked out spot cleared.
A8DB0819-6832-491E-A715-C2DE94549122 (resized).jpegA8DB0819-6832-491E-A715-C2DE94549122 (resized).jpeg

Unmasked
3E284776-414D-4A6A-A696-351BF11E12F2 (resized).jpeg3E284776-414D-4A6A-A696-351BF11E12F2 (resized).jpeg3D91AAE9-F87E-451B-97B7-534BA6DBBFC2 (resized).jpeg3D91AAE9-F87E-451B-97B7-534BA6DBBFC2 (resized).jpeg

#82 5 years ago

Translite panel is next starting with MM 1
Translite and glass removed.

Harness pulled most sockets are broken from being scorched and brittle. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Panel is ready to wash and prep for refinishing. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#83 5 years ago

Panel is washed inside and out.

Then sanded with the appropriate preparation for plastic refinishing. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Then hung up to fully dry before starting the painting process. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#84 5 years ago

While waiting for MM 1s eggshell to fully dry I will wash It’s translite as well.
Then dried.

#85 5 years ago

MM 1 eggshell ready to prep for paint. Requires plastic cleaner and adhesion promoter. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Cleaned and primed. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Based in White with a slight crinkle to mask flaws and add a little more durability.

#86 5 years ago

While MM 1 s eggshell paint dries I will clean the glass for it and make an all new harness with new sockets.

Glass cleaned. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

I make a small jig to build the eggshell harness.
The eggshell itself is too fragile to use for this purpose.

#87 5 years ago

I will start with the Green and Green\white GI strand

#88 5 years ago

MM 1 green strand done. You get the idea

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

MM 1 green strand done. You get the idea
[quoted image]

Sorry about the rookie question but I've always wondered about this: What tool do you use to push the wires into the socket? Just a regular flathead?

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Sorry about the rookie question but I've always wondered about this: What tool do you use to push the wires into the socket? Just a regular flathead?

The red tool in the lower right of his picture. IDC Insertion Tool.

LTG : )

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The red tool in the lower right of his picture. IDC Insertion Tool.
LTG : )

Nice, Thanks!

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

While waiting for MM 1s eggshell to fully dry I will wash It’s translite as well.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Then dried.
[quoted image]

Jaw on floor... what's your method on washing translites? I know they can be easily destroyed.

#93 5 years ago

Personally I don't think MM1 will cost that much more for Chris to restore than MM2 because he basically disassembles everything anyways. There's more work obviously on the playfield touchup but the amount of work he puts in the other playfield is going to be considerable too....

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

swinks has modelled one that is available on Shapeways. (https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=SwinksIDC)

Thanks for the link!

#96 5 years ago

Harness is made up in sections and will be intertwined as installed.

Eggshell is dry and ready to rebuild.

#97 5 years ago

I want to know how you avoid spending 1/4 of your day cleaning your paint guns

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Personally I don't think MM1 will cost that much more for Chris to restore than MM2 because he basically disassembles everything anyways. There's more work obviously on the playfield touchup but the amount of work he puts in the other playfield is going to be considerable too....

Interesting to see it unfold because I've just been assuming that MM1 was getting a completely new playfield, the damage at the ball lock door is pretty substantial.

#99 5 years ago

MM 1 eggshell wired and ready for testing prior to final assembly. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Tested.
Used a combination of mostly warm and few cool frosted LEDs for a desired effect when the translite is placed.

#100 5 years ago

MM 1 translite panel rebuild complete.

Trash left over from just that part.

Placed in MM 2 for final testing image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Labeled image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Shelved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 604 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-presents-a-tale-of-two-medieval-madnesses/page/2?hl=mrudowsky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.