Topic Stats

• 332 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by High_End_Pins
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 363 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 3 years ago

I agree. It's always nice to see a game that normally wouldn't get any love, go through a restoration. There are only so many AFM, MB, MM's you can watch before it's the same old thing. This is new and refreshing.

#102 3 years ago

First stencil done.
Hard to see where this is heading right now but I am getting there.
The one dinosaur looks black in the lighting and pics but he is dark brown and will be accented in a different shade for contrast.

14805486299282114856873 (resized).jpg

1480548652559-1480141495 (resized).jpg

#103 3 years ago

Second stencil placed.

148055077332360535829 (resized).jpg

1480550784858-1948012642 (resized).jpg

#104 3 years ago

Second stencil. First color six color in total so far.

14805523757381460492574 (resized).jpg

1480552386433-962386187 (resized).jpg

#105 3 years ago

Next color second
stencil seventh one I think?

1480554960322-50993338 (resized).jpg
1480554973954-845368213 (resized).jpg

#106 3 years ago

Third color second stencil eighth in total.

1480556582104-1617560283 (resized).jpg

14805565979121164536850 (resized).jpg

#107 3 years ago

I want to make sure my confusion is simple. The stencils are supposed to be used as a 3 color reproduction of the original and you are just using your talent to take them to a new level right? After seeing what you did with Medusa it gets hard to separate reality from the Matrix you create.

#108 3 years ago

Head unmasked. One color left on the lower.

1480557357398-425533332 (resized).jpg

#109 3 years ago

Excellent thread.

I've been offered one of these for $400 in decent shape, I'm considering grabbing it.

For those unfamiliar with the gameplay, it's an EM that runs a 3 ball multiball. Very cool, similar to Nip it.

#110 3 years ago

Last color on the lower.

14805580288331373445242 (resized).jpg

#111 3 years ago

Lower unmasked.
Pretty happy with it overall but hope this guy pops a bit more once cleared.
The colors used for him are much more vivid in the cab but it can be hard to tell in this base form without clear.
If not I will tweak it manually kater in the process .

1480559045116-1443959898 (resized).jpg

1480559186645-213759195 (resized).jpg

#112 3 years ago

Learning from the best. Thank you sir.

#113 3 years ago

Nice! I like the multiple colors .

#114 3 years ago

Cleared in three coats of full gloss for now.
I will let that set then sand it in full and tweak it a bit more.
The only real change I can see right now will be rhat darkest dinosaur. It matches tje backglass version well but looks a bit out of place on the lower because it seems so dark compared to tje rest.

1480562223619-158257563 (resized).jpg

1480562246728117471652 (resized).jpg

1480562268356-1857002765 (resized).jpg

#115 3 years ago

Cabinet is nice and slick.

1480562809960861554788 (resized).jpg

14805628446561103678977 (resized).jpg

#116 3 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but I think this would have looked fantastic if the original colors had been kept. It's such a fun looking cabinet. Completely different then most any other game. The original greens would have really popped with the clear.

Biege is just....well....biege.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Maybe it's just me, but I think this would have looked fantastic if the original colors had been kept. It's such a fun looking cabinet. Completely different then most any other game. The original greens would have really popped with the clear.
Biege is just....well....biege.

Yeah I like the thought of doing it original style too.I always gravitate to that because it is much safer and easier but I also like to change it up so as long as it meets the owners vision and request I am happy.
I do think there are some color choices to be tweaked and details to be added that will help pull it all together in the end as an assembly not just a blank cabinet.
This is what gets lost sometimes with the individual pics of the process unfolding... the game as a total package and the steps that lead up to that are just that until it is finished.

#118 3 years ago

Phenomenal work as always Chris. I think when it's all said and done, it will look fantastic, beige or not. .

#119 3 years ago

I shot this to chris this morning. it's not my game so I can understand the owner wanting it the way that he wants it.

however, if I were having chris do it for me, I would make these subtle changes (color changes to both the triceratops and bamboo/bones) to kind of break things up as well as compliment a little better
40M BC (resized).jpg

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Maybe it's just me, ...

It's just you.

With the backstory on this game AND the fact he's having Chris do a high end restore to a game of this era, I love the fact that the colors were changed up a bit. It REALLY makes the game stand out and accentuates its uniqueness.

I DO like the triceratops colors that j_m_ suggested a little better since the other animals are two tone.

#121 3 years ago

Yes I am definitely changing the color scheme on the triceratops. I really knew that before clearing but wanted to give it the benefit of the clear but honestly the problem is it just became too busy in an effort ro better mimic the backglass .The scheme will remain the same in general but with a minor change here and there to simplify it.

#122 3 years ago

I don't see Barney the purple dinosaur..... That is too bad.

Yves

#123 3 years ago

How do we know that the dinosaurs were that colour?

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

How do we know that the dinosaurs were that colour?

because. all of the coloring books that I've ever seen have told us this and how else would scientists know that the barneyasaurus was purple?

#125 3 years ago

It's Friday. Chris should kick back, enjoy a beer and work on playfields.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's Friday. Chris should kick back, enjoy a beer and work on playfields.

at least chris knows how to enjoy a real beer brYan

#127 3 years ago

Cabinet is being prepped for the next paint and clear session.
First step is sanding it level and eliminating any sharp edges even if that means breaking through and repainting those areas.

1480790199264-2128965914 (resized).jpg

1480790718594261250979 (resized).jpg

1480790740874191328759 (resized).jpg

#128 3 years ago

I now understand why you prefer new cabs, Chris. That was a lot of prep to get the cab ready to paint. Looks great though.

I often wonder about making a metal under cab strip for the edges to keep them from getting tore up in transport. Put in a couple of flat head screws to hold it in place. Seems like a good idea to me.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I now understand why you prefer new cabs, Chris. That was a lot of prep to get the cab ready to paint. Looks great though.
I often wonder about making a metal under cab strip for the edges to keep them from getting tore up in transport. Put in a couple of flat head screws to hold it in place. Seems like a good idea to me.

Thanks.I only put lipstick on the pigs when I have no other choice
Honestly this was a good solid cab for what it is and some of the details of this cabinet would be painful to try and copy on a one off.

I typically do a clean bevel on all bottom edges to eliminate the possibility of chipping in the future but it can be hard to control how the game gets handled over the years once complete.No doubt this game will be well cared for once it leaves because it is a rare case where I can personally hand it off to the owner.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Is this a consignment restoration?

Yes, it's all detailed from the start of the thread.

#132 3 years ago

Is this a consignment restoration?

Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, it's all detailed from the start of the thread.

^ This, and most of the HEP ones just are

EDIT: Oops, confused this with service work, I meant HEP does work for people who ship their games to him

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

^ This, and most of the HEP ones just are

eh? Consignment would mean its being sold on to someone besides the game's owner

HEP is doing contract restoration/work on an owner's game.

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

eh? Consignment would mean its being sold on to someone besides the game's owner

That's what I understand from what was written.

#135 3 years ago

Um....people ship their shit to Chris. Chris restores their shit. People pay Chris for restoring their shit. Chris then ships their shit back.

Chris sometimes sources the shit people want, in which case people would not only pay Chris for the shit he's going to restore, but also for the restoration of said shit.

I hope that helps.

#136 3 years ago

Just got some of the nickel plating back for the cabinet.

1481071483924-1261214547 (resized).jpg

#137 3 years ago

I am meritful of Mr. Hibler's work and documentation as a collector and restorer, predominantly as a benefit for others to reference, but some comments on this website forum continue to remain completely useless. There are times projects are done for many reasons. Sometimes simply as contribution to the hobby or overall challenge, not just for business generation. This includes reproduction parts. This is exactly why many people that have equal amounts of restoration skill do not post at all. I did a T2 restoration for friend a while back because he wanted someone to do the work that he not have time/skill/effort to do, not for profit. Not that I do not understand what HEP does as a primary means of projects.

I saw no mention of the documentation of this particular machine on all three pages regarding mention of consignment just "the owner can share the history" comments in two specific postings. Sometimes it is just as interesting to know why a machine is being restored than the restoration itself for points of history. As others stated, this is not "another MM, MB, AFM HEP restoration".

I had no idea why he even wanted the colors changed from factory specifications, for example. I am a specific collector of Ted Zale EM "zipper flipper" designs for specific reasons, of which now most of which people are not aware do the passage of time, therefore I was interested personally. There are only so many of these games left now. I had to pass over a highly restorable Nip-It tonight, because the BallGator assembly had been completely stripped from the game, and would need to be completely prototype machine manufactured from borrowing another from a friend. I don't have time for that right now. BTW, this is not the first time I have seen this happen with that title in my lifetime, based on what operators did from abuse of the primary game feature.

Many people simply do not even care to restore these type of machines anymore, technical skills for EM machines have been lost for the majority of most the modern dealers, as there is very little profit that can be generated in these even popular EM titles. Every time something is implied, things go wrong, and I prefer to not make assumptions here.

Keep up the good work, Chris.
I am sure the owner will be very happy.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Oops, got the terms twisted

#139 3 years ago

I am meritful of Mr. Hibler's work and documentation as a collector and restorer, predominantly as a benefit for others

Chris Hibler is a great resource for board repair and knowledge.

HEP = High End Pins =Christopher Hutchins
You are confusing people and services.
I have been documenting what I do daily for about 12 years long before Pinside was so popular right here
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/albums.php

#140 3 years ago

Your right, I accidently swapped names.
I do know you both.
Goes to show my age in the hobby.
Whether other old people like Chad Keller, Bill Davis, Steve Charland, Craig Hassell, Kerry Stair, Clay Harrell and others. Some are completely out of the hobby now. Some stay on fringe, and some build.

Restoration is a dying art of technical skills.
It has not increased in the past 15 years with ownership.
Nobody wants to learn how to fix anything anymore.

#141 3 years ago

Restoration is a dying art of technical skills.
It has not increased in the past 15 years with ownership.
Nobody wants to learn how to fix anything anymore.

I disagree: When somebody stumbles on their first broken pin they are "forced" to fix it if they want to play it, so the non-lazy ones come here (or somewhere) and ask for help - which eventually teaches them the art of fixing the machine. That's one part down.

Then they do that to the next one or two games they acquire, getting better and better at it each time. Then they realize they are hooked on this great hobby.

Eventually, they realize they can make their machines look great (and are eager to do so) after seeing threads like these on Pinside, and decide to go for it.

Then your next restorer is born. Voila!

I did not know how to fix circuit boards, repair EM machines, or restore a game (bondo, paint, fix cabinet) three years ago and since then I have taught myself to do all of those things (and continue to do so, I don't believe anybody is ever really "finished" learning in this hobby) since I have started collecting arcade machines in September of 2014 and pinball machines in January of 2015. This has also earned me hundreds of dollars doing what I love for other people and fixing their own games.

An older guy I picked up a machine from two days ago who doesn't have much interest anymore and is not connected on these sites also thought the hobby/craft was dying and although I mostly kept my mouth shut or kindly tried to be agreeable, I did not agree then either obviously. I believe the reason it seems this way was because, yes, a lot of the older and more experienced guys are giving it up or unfortunately passing away - but each place is filled by all of the newer, younger, eager people wanting to do the same great things they did. So I don't think it's dying, it's just cycling. And that can be a very good thing, especially for these machines. An older collector decides that he no longer wants to pursue this hobby and sells his machines to another newer collector, and suddenly those machines that may have gotten 1 play every few months or less are moved into a home where they are played multiple times every day and are genuinely enjoyed again, just like they were when that other collector still had that fire, and just like they were back when they were new. And that isn't even saying that every collector and machine will experience that cycle (or ever again, or even more than once), some will always be played and loved by a person passionate about the hobby thankfully and won't have to be passed on to somebody else to be enjoyed often - I consider my machines lifetime machines in this way and hope to still be playing them often forever, but for the percentage of machines out there that are involved in that or are going to be involved in that, it's great to see.

It's a natural cycle, like I said. I think it might even be growing. I think for every 1 guy we lose that has been doing it for 20-30 years, we get another two newbies that stick around and will probably be doing this for that long if not longer.

#142 3 years ago

I apologize for the long post but I promise it's a good one this time around!

#143 3 years ago

I learned how to fix machines by offering to fix up location games near me. A few local bar owners bought some machines thinking it would draw customers, and in a sense it did, until they broke. Then nobody wanted to play them. I DID want to play them. Offered to fix them. Learned to fix them. Fixed them. Now I can play them.

Don't say "nobody" wants to do ... well pretty much anything at all. Somebody certainly does.

#144 3 years ago

Lets not accidentally derail Chris's topic with periphery stuff as its priceless.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Lets not accidentally derail Chris's topic with periphery stuff as its priceless.

Less frequent updates from Chris. He must be working on KornFreak28 / Bryan's TAF playfield

#146 3 years ago

Yes I am a busy guy.
Start the day off working on myself.20161207_085844 (resized).jpg

Just finished a proto BSD yesterday.14812005644631587542080 (resized).jpg

Been working on this CFTBL with its own playfield needs. 20161118_133817 (resized).jpg20161118_135813 (resized).jpg20161129_150459 (resized).jpg

Then there is this HUO TZ I am wrapping up.14812006749921940379639 (resized).jpg

Plus my wife has turned the house into a Christmas war zone 1481201804935-2005451734 (resized).jpg1481201951493-57495189 (resized).jpg1481201970775-423652034 (resized).jpg

And I get tired like anyone else. 20161202_204856 (resized).jpg

Hope to put a real update in here shortly just waiting on some more stencils.

#147 3 years ago

Stencils are in hand and I have the cabinet prepped for round two.
The reason I normally stencil twice is the first session is meant to map it out.
The second session is meant to perfect it.
When leveling the first session out in order to get ready for the second colors that overlap often break through.1481297294961-1049423756 (resized).jpg

1481297418631-741585245 (resized).jpg

#148 3 years ago

Starting with the head I will start dialing things in.

14812975288402136517620 (resized).jpg

#149 3 years ago

Head changes are made. It is really just a matter of simplifying the scheme.
They had a 3 color process and this got too busy with 9 or so colors.
I am now comfortably at 5.
Anytime you do something that is not the original scheme it is a bit more of process sincr you lose the luxury of just copying and move to creating.

1481314141543-1392091580 (resized).jpg

1481314158544-2040948853 (resized).jpg

#150 3 years ago

Now for the lower.

1481314591474-1341489638 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 10.00
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.50
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 21.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 189.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 332 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside