(Topic ID: 196844)

Helping Troy Smith help others (donate suit at Expo)

By jellikit

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jellikit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

troy.jpg
    troy_kenya.jpg

#1 1 year ago

Many of you may know Troy Smith (vidgameseller) from the hobby, if not I will say I am honored to call him a friend. He wears his heart on his sleeve, has promoted pinball for years, and even showed up on Wheel of Fortune not that long ago! He has gone on mission trips to Cuba and Kenya in recent years, doing what he can to help. And that is where this post is coming from, I collected suits for his mission trip last year to Kenya as it is something they can use. It felt great to have people I know and work with purge their closets to assist others. I know there are plenty of other things that can be used, but I wanted to follow-up on what was done last year. And in that regard, I know that Troy plans to have a booth at Expo this year so I have created the Google Form here to see if I might be able to help him again with suit donations:

https://goo.gl/forms/KOnEfRDf92eo72li2

If anyone has a suit they'd be willing donate and bring to Expo, please complete the form. I simply created the form to help Troy determine how much storage space might be needed for the suit donations. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, it is appreciated.

Brad

troy_kenya.jpg
    troy.jpg

#2 1 year ago

Bump for Troy. He's working hard to make a difference.

These days, that's a lot !

LTG : )

1 week later
    #4 1 year ago

Dude. I totally got ya. Awesome to see Troy doing this and by chance I have quite a few that have been hanging in my closet for years doing nothing. I have atleast 3 I'll bring.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dude. I totally got ya. Awesome to see Troy doing this and by chance I have quite a few that have been hanging in my closet for years doing nothing. I have atleast 3 I'll bring.

Both the contribution and BUMP are appreciated!

Brad

#6 1 year ago

troy is good people and the suits will truly
    go directly from your hands to those in need. Ill go raid the closet and see if I can help out!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

troy is good people and the suits will truly
    go directly from your hands to those in need. Ill go raid the closet and see if I can help out!

No doubt about Troy and that is awesome! He'll be happy to take as many suits as people are willing to give.

Brad

#8 1 year ago

Troy is a great guy,
    I'll see what I have!

Might not be a suit... but if you open this up to regular clothes I'd have a bunch to donate
    and you just might fill a container.

My parents just passed and I have a ton of their clothes that I don't know what to do with.

#9 1 year ago

^^^ this. Not trying to throw Troy into anything new, he obviously is doing A LOT with this, but yeah. What about old clothes I'd rather them go here than Goodwill.

#10 1 year ago

Hello all
    Brad, Thanks for starting this thread. With the approx. 20 suits that you gathered for me last time, it was an awesome thing. I really appreciate any suits that you guys can donate. To see the pastors crossing the "bush" to get to our classes, wearing suits, while walking miles and miles (some up to 30 miles) is surreal.

When I went in June of 2016, I challenged men to donate used suits, and women to donate feminine products. The amount I gathered surpassed what I thought was possible. As a team, we each get to take two suitcases each, so space is somewhat limited. So id like to stick with suits, but would also be willing to accept mens button down dress shirts that go with suits, or even slacks, as they can wear that even without the suit jacket. But I think that I wouldn't have the space for ordinary clothes. I will take as many as I can get, as I disperse them among other team members that have not used there full 50 lbs per suitcase.

Please keep in mind that this is a third world area, so a couple things to keep in mind.

1. The Kenyans are not per say large people. they are rather thin compared to the US, so sizes that are say XXL really are not useful. they are tall and short, so height wise, I need a variety, just don't need wider sizes.

2. The people that I work with over there are very grateful people. So if you have a suit that might have a stain, or slight damage, they would be happy with that, they are not picky.

3. Colors and such really don't matter. I have taken green, blue, black, purple, tan, and it was all liked

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate it all, and if you would like to help but don't have a suit and would like to make a small donation for me to buy items at goodwill or other supplies, just send me a pm and ill be happy to tell you ways that a donation would greatly be appreciated. When I went last time, I raised enough to pay the way for another person to go, which changed many lives. I'm purposely trying to avoid saying the "religious" parts of the trips as we know that religion is not permitted on the site. But last time I did have donations come in from non-religious people, and when I told them that I was surprised with their beliefs that thy donated, the response I received was awesome, they said "just because I'm not religious doesn't mean I don't believe in helping people do good" and that was one of the most appreciated donations I received

THanks Again
    Troy

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

The Kenyans are not per say large people. they are rather thin compared to the US, so sizes that are say XXL really are not useful.

Annnd I'm out.

#12 1 year ago

Troy what can the Women of pinball donate? There must be some clothes or something we can give to help.

#13 1 year ago

I would donate a suit from Charlie but, um he doesn't own & never has owned a suit or tie. LOL

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from SpookyKT:

Troy what can the Women of pinball donate? There must be some clothes or something we can give to help.

KT, The women where their traditional Maasai clothes, so really nothing clothes wise as that is their culture. But like I said before, I take feminine pads for the women. Last time I took over 1000 pads total. I had several women bring me a some to my house, or they asked me to buy them so that money wasn't wasted on shipping. So I went to dollar tree and bought 100 packages of various pads (I don't know the difference in them so I just grabbed some of each, lol) You should have seen the lady at the register when I came to her with a full shopping cart of them.

What is even better about the pads is that their is no weight to them really. So suitcases that we take full of tools where the suitcase is only 1/4 full but almost at full weight allowance, I am able to put tons of pads to fill the case but not go over weight.

I'm proud of the work I do in Kenya, and that means that I'm not afraid to take and disperse pads to the women over there. Sadly, the families do not have the resources to use for feminine products, so I take them to the local schools and have the headmaster hand them out as needed. Because over there, if it happens to be "that time of month" the young girls just do not attend school. Its sad, but reality

Thanks for asking SpookyKT

#15 1 year ago

That ^^^ was a joke Troy. My suits are 10 years old and back then I was a slim and trim size 44R stud.
    I'm not religious myself, but like you stated, what's that have to do with being a better human being? I have an entire garage of stuff that needs donated, need to find somewhere besides Goodwill. Maybe a women's shelter or something.
    Anyhow, this is SPECFREAKINGTACULAR of you to do. I can't wait to buy you a beer or 12 at Expo.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

That ^^^ was a joke Troy. My suits are 10 years old and back then I was a slim and trim size 44R stud.
    I'm not religious myself, but like you stated, what's that have to do with being a better human being? I have an entire garage of stuff that needs donated, need to find somewhere besides Goodwill. Maybe a women's shelter or something.
    Anyhow, this is SPECFREAKINGTACULAR of you to do. I can't wait to buy you a beer or 12 at Expo.

I was having a hard time trying to visualize you in a suit anyway. Then I thought to myself, visualize him ina suit, or naked, so now I have an idea of what you would look like in a suit, lol

Sucks that violinsteve isn't going to make it this year, Ive been able to enjoy standing outside with you two having a drink, maybe we can still talk him into coming to (as I'm afraid to be left alone with you!!!) but regardless, I'm taking you up on the beer

#17 1 year ago

Yeah, I'm gonna really miss the people more than the show. I've enjoyed talking with you, Troy. You're a good soul. Gryszzz will be fine without me; just keep the stun gun handy I'm sure I'll see you in the future, brother.

4 weeks later
    #18 1 year ago

If anyone is bringing a suit to expo, please bring it to the CP Pinball booth

THanks
    Troy

#19 1 year ago

I figured it was about time for this thread about doing something good for others to get a BUMP, so here it is. BUMP!

Brad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballBulbs
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 8,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 9,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside