(Topic ID: 319619)

Helping Guests Enjoy Pinball

By marioparty34

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

296485065_623066515681564_7777921092389137718_n (resized).jpg
    294550525_582384266707395_203828180690807715_n (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Recently I have had a lot of non playing pinball people over to the house. And I noticed that when I let them choose their order of games, then tend to peter out and not really get into it because perhaps the game they chose is not great for a first timer. So I have been trying to introduce a certain "order" of games for them to play hoping it eases them into getting the hang of it. For example, I had someone who loves Star Wars and jumped right on the pin as their first pin to play. That can be a brutal game for anyone and they quickly lost interest and was not interested in trying any of my other pins.

So the last few times when I had guests over, I would recommend them start on certain games and work their way around. And I felt they enjoyed their time in my pinroom more. Part of this made me think about the speed of each game I own. So I decided to order my games based upon speed (all just my opinion). Then I decided to rate them by shot difficulty and finally depth of code (again all just my opinion)

Going back to my engineering background, I came up with printing these for each pin. Blue is Speed, Red is shot difficulty, and Yellow is depth of code.

I am going to try this on some guests that are coming over tonight and see how it goes. As you can tell, I think too much about pinball and have too much time.

This is a work in progress and perhaps a complete miss on my end.

294550525_582384266707395_203828180690807715_n (resized).jpg294550525_582384266707395_203828180690807715_n (resized).jpg296485065_623066515681564_7777921092389137718_n (resized).jpg296485065_623066515681564_7777921092389137718_n (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

I would look at those and just glaze over...I don't think newbs are gonna get that. Maybe just cards that say Difficulty: "easy", "medium", "hard".

#3 1 year ago

Now you will need to explain what speed, shot difficulty and especially depth of code means to the normies. I love what you have done but it could make things even more inaccessible. Glad to be proven wrong, let me know how it goes. I take a light hand with my guests. Have the games on. Invite them to play. If they don’t want to we do other things. If they play I point them to the more accessible machines. Also really key is I have Galaga/Pac-Man cocktail and so almost anyone will give pac man a spin.

#4 1 year ago

crazy but kinda cool too.If my peeps have difficulty I put them on spiderman to warm up.They always love it.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I would look at those and just glaze over...I don't think newbs are gonna get that. Maybe just cards that say Difficulty: "easy", "medium", "hard".

Good feedback. I was just going to tell them to first focus on the blue number (speed) . The lower the number, the easier for a newbie.

#6 1 year ago

I think this is a great idea, and I wish manufacturers had a similar system.

My only issue is your 6 for sttng shot difficulty.

#7 1 year ago

Nobody ever plays pinball. And they can get the fuck outta my house.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think this is a great idea, and I wish manufacturers had a similar system.
    My only issue is your 6 for sttng shot difficulty.

That's my opinion of the warp ramp. Lol. I just can't hit that consistently.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

That's my opinion of the warp ramp. Lol. I just can't hit that consistently.

I meant it should be at an 8.

#10 1 year ago

well from your collection page I think I see the problem,no choices.Maybe need more.

#11 1 year ago

You should get some games from the 1980s.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

well from your collection page I think I see the problem,no choices.Maybe need more.

No but seriously you have a $150k collection of complicated rule set games no non pinhead is going to take the time to learn the rules for. Pick up a $500 em or $1000 ss and let them start on that.

#13 1 year ago

I can tell you are an engineer.

Make it simple- a single rating on how easy a game is green/ yellow/ red.

And an em/early SS or two wouldn’t hurt.

#14 1 year ago

I'm thinking just steer them toward MM, TS4, and CCr.. then Mando (just shoot up the middle)... many of the others can be brutal to a noob.. The Sth on your wishlist is always a fav at our house. Knock down targets, then pie hole the Demo... easy.

#15 1 year ago

If pinball newbies/casuals/kids are coming over I'll throw some rubber furniture stoppers under the front legs of the faster games -- slows the game down and I don't have to adjust the leg levels twice.

#16 1 year ago

Rubber bands on the outlanes.

Voila!

Now every machine is easy for newbs

#17 1 year ago

Best first timer pins from all eras: World Cup Soccer 94, Black Knight (1980), High Speed, Medieval Madness, El Dorado, Spider Man, Munsters

#18 1 year ago

You have a fantastic collection ,I kid for sure

#19 1 year ago

Best newb game I've ever owned is big Buck Hunter. Hit the deer. Can't mess those rules up.

#20 1 year ago

Pinball is the ultimate filter. If they aren't down with it then you are better off finding new friends

#21 1 year ago

I’ve been down this road.
    If they don’t like pinball, they don’t like pinball.
    When we have large parties, most people gravitate towards the air hockey tables, super chexx and the Namco Pac-Man machines.
    Some of the younger people will try Shrek and Iron Man and it ends there.

#22 1 year ago

Your cards are a very creative rating system but just going to confuse and intimidate non players more. I usually recommend a newbie start by playing Creature from the Black lagoon. It is not lightning fast and has simple rules and objectives. I see you have CCR and MM. I think that they are both great games for beginners. Some of the newer titles take quite a bit of time to learn the rules.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/helping-guests-enjoy-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.