New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 99379)

HELP.......Flipper stuck up ....

By Monarca1091

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190928_090656 (resized).jpg
image-58.jpg
image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi I need some help from my fellow pinsiders .....I just got an attack from mars and after playing it a few games the left flipper stays up .....I changed the coil and sleeve but as soon as I turn the pinball on the flipper goes right up again ...anybody got this problem before and how did they solved it ?

#2 6 years ago

Have you checked EOS switch?

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like a bad transistor. Check Q87 on the power driver board with your DMM.

#4 6 years ago

Do you have to start a game or just turn the machine on?

If sticking in the up position as soon as game turns on I too would check shorted transistor.

If it has to actually start a game. Probably focus on the flipper components and stay out of back box.

Take a picture of the flipper coil and surrounding area and maybe we can spot a simple mistake or something bad that is not obvious. Pics are worth a 1000 words.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Sounds like a bad transistor. Check Q87 on the power driver board with your DMM.

I agree.
Definitely sounds like a transistor.
Time to grab a flashlight and start looking for a crispy transistor on your board.
I had the same thing happen to me with one of the slings.

Simple/cheap repair if you're good with a soldering iron.

#6 6 years ago

Man my tz went bad today ...I fucken hate Williams/bally games ........I should have continued getting more sterns ...
And I know sterns break also , but the last longer with out breaking .....

#7 6 years ago

If you have a stuck up flipper, just smack it around a bit and give it an attitude adjustment.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Man my tz went bad today

What broke on the TZ?

#9 6 years ago

It says check fuse f114 and f115.....

#10 6 years ago

If it's been like that for 4 hours or more, see your doctor

#11 6 years ago

Many threads here and good info on the " check f114 and f115 fuses" on pinwiki. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Check_fuses_F114_and_F115_message

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

It says check fuse f114 and f115.....

Check the C2 capacitor next to the Q2 voltage regulator on your driver board. Those get hot and when they go bad, they will pull down your 12v and cause that error message.

#13 6 years ago

Common problem that most Bally/Williams owners will have to deal with at some point.
Read through the link above as it has steps to diagnose the problem.
Most of the time it boils down to a bad Bridge Rectifier or the C2 capacitor.
Sometimes even though that little capacitor looks good, it has leaked out of the bottom and messed up a trace on the board.
Good luck.
And the flipper sticking up is most likely the driving transistor as stated above.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

If it's been like that for 4 hours or more, see your doctor

Go see the doctor ? Pssst .....I'm going to lock myself with my wife........

#15 6 years ago

Ok guys I fixed the tz ,thanks for all the help ........now getting back on track about the afm ......here are some pictures .....

image.jpg image-58.jpg
#16 6 years ago
Quoted from ozuba:

Have you checked EOS switch?

I checked the eos switch and its good .....

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Do you have to start a game or just turn the machine on?
If sticking in the up position as soon as game turns on I too would check shorted transistor.
If it has to actually start a game. Probably focus on the flipper components and stay out of back box.
Take a picture of the flipper coil and surrounding area and maybe we can spot a simple mistake or something bad that is not obvious. Pics are worth a 1000 words.

As soon as I turn the machine on the flipper goes up ...I will post some of the flipper coil and surrounding area tomorrow ....thanks guys for all the help ...

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

I didnt have a dmm , I went to buy one today and I will check that tomorrow .....and if it is where can I buy a transistor and what are the specific transistors I need ? Once again thank you for your help ...

#19 6 years ago

That flipper uses two transistors: a TIP36C (Q87) for the initial flip and a TIP102 for holding it up. I suspect it is the TIP36C that went bad. Pinball life and Marco Specialties both have them. Any good, local electronics supply store should also carry them.

#20 6 years ago

If you turn on the game and it immediately goes up 9/10 it's the transistor . The best way to tell if it electrical or physical is when it happens shit off the game . If it drops then it's electrical if it stays up it's physical . I bet you anything the transistor is the culprit

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Pinball life and Marco Specialties both have them. Any good, local electronics supply store should also carry them.

Get them at the online sites above.
If you walk into an eletronics shop and ask for a TIP 102 they will look at you like you are crazy.
Their order books do not use that as the order number and you will need to get a different number off the transistor.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Ok guys I fixed the tz ,thanks for all the help .....

So help us all by telling us what you did to fix the TZ F114/F115 fuse issue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

So help us all by telling us what you did to fix the TZ F114/F115 fuse issue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

It was a blown fuse..... Behind a tag that was hanging blocking that fuse .....such a easy fix .....

#25 6 years ago

Did you solve the flipper problem?

#26 6 years ago

I had the same issue, turned out flipper opto board was loose and didn't close (or was it open), worth checking that too in the switch test

5 years later
#27 1 year ago

Hello. Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think it makes sense to have all the flipper stuck tech together...

Please help me. I was putting side blades on my Twilight Zone and when I fired it back up to start a game, the upper left (piano shot) flipper stays energized. I think it is different from the OP, because you have to start a game to get it to stay up, not just power on. Also in coil test all flipper functions work, but the hold test of the upper left does nothing.

By reading this thread I'm taking it is less likely a transistor issue, and more mechanical? I lean that way since I had the playfield gyrating to get the inner artwork on and I may have bumped something. Please see the photo below, but everything seems good to me.

I've got a guys weekend at my house next week and hope to resolve it stat.

Thanks,
Chris

20190928_090656 (resized).jpg
#28 1 year ago

as above, when you turn off the machine, does the flipper immediately drop or stay stuck. If it stays stuck, it is mechanical and you will have look at the assembly and see why it is sticking.

#29 1 year ago

no, when turning the machine off it drops.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Homebru:

Hello. Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I think it makes sense to have all the flipper stuck tech together...

I actually prefer different threads for different games because not all titles/manufactures will have a same end result. Also, a different thread on a specific problem/game will allow others to search for problems easier.

Quoted from Homebru:

Please help me. I was putting side blades on my Twilight Zone and when I fired it back up to start a game, the upper left (piano shot) flipper stays energized. I think it is different from the OP, because you have to start a game to get it to stay up, not just power on. Also in coil test all flipper functions work, but the hold test of the upper left does nothing.

Since you were installing your side blades, lift the playfield back up and check the wiring to the flipper button opto board to be sure it is seated and that the opto interrupter is not bent outward from the board as that would signal the game to fire the flipper.

#31 1 year ago

^^^^winner!

Thanks so much. Just futzing with the left flipper button/board/blade seems to have fixed it.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Homebru:

^^^^winner!
Thanks so much. Just futzing with the left flipper button/board/blade seems to have fixed it.

The interrupter blade must have been jammed up. Happy flippin'

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside