Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

56345132.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wheezil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 months ago

I have a Xenon which just started exhibiting a spontaneous "slam" shutdown. At least I *think* that's what it is. I'll be playing and it'll make the tilt sound, but no tilt light appears and the game is over for everyone. I have to power cycle for it to respond. Does someone know what this behavior means for certain?

My unit is in pretty good shape, with new Alltek MPU and lamp boards, LEDs, and rebuilt flippers. The last thing I did was replace a flipper coil because one was non-functional. Flippers are working fine now, but this behavior appeared. Probably coincidence?

Thanks
john

2 weeks later
#10 3 months ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses! You all are awesome.
frenchmarky -- good idea, let me see if I can make the same thing happen manually and/or check the MPU when it does happen by accident. It seems pretty odd that the state would be a "lock up" after the initial tilt sound.
electronmagic -- yes the flipper coil has two diodes pre-installed. Is there something I should watch out for?

Failing any progress, I'll get some caps and do a search-and-replace on the tilt and slam switches.

#12 3 months ago

bigal56 it makes the tilt sound, does not turn on the tilt lamp, ends the game, and locks up the machine. It doesn't reboot, but perhaps I just haven't waited long enough?

#13 3 months ago

Thanks! I'll go hunt down the slam switch.

#16 3 months ago

OK... I've played a bit more until the problem happened a few times, and I've also manually tripped the slam switches. The behavior is definitely slam switch -- it makes the tilt sounds, and after a while it resets. I've also checked that there are no stuck switches. @wdennie I checked the coin switches and they are not stuck either.

I looked for caps on the slam switches, but there are none, and that jives with the schematics. Of course, there are diodes -- could they go bad? Perhaps replace them?

#17 3 months ago

One more thing... I usually have to play for maybe 5-15 minutes before this happens. I have not yet correlated this event with hitting a particular switch or target but I'll keep a closer eye on that.

#18 3 months ago

Update: all your advice around switch caps was right on. It was Dave at Alltek who narrowed it down to the tilt switch cap. Snipped that and all is better.

Follow up: Would it be worthwhile to replace all of the switch caps?

john

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 90.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wheezil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside