Help with with Gottlieb System 1 loop?

By UmSoLikeYeah

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey,
So I will start of saying that I am a total noobie. My background is in restoring old consoles and being an engineering student.

My Dad recently purchased me a Gottlieb Charlie's Angels EM Machine. I understand that it is a System 1, and they are notorious for being troublesome, and it is my understanding that it has a new board already, it's a PI-1/X-4.

While going through the test bank (i think that's what is is called, white button on the inside of the coin door), somehow the system is now stuck in a loop that reads "00000", "RNG 1" and cycles through to I believe RNG 6. I have tried exiting with the slam switch, tilt switch, turning the machine off, unplugging it and letting it sit for a few days, pressing the start button, and adding credits, but it will not leave this cycle.

The game used to play, sure it had it's random shorts from the previous owns shoddy attempt at wiring and I was planning on doing my first restoration, since the problems at the time were minimal and the back glass and board are in pretty decent shape. Now the game doesn't even play.

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

You will need to permanently solder the slam tilt switch shut.

This era of Got. is odd because it has and "always closed" slam tilt, and not "always open".

here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1

#3 6 years ago

Or there is a place on the Pascal board you can install a dip shunt jumper to short the slam switch input. See page 20:

http://www.flippp.fr/media/manual/manual_PI-1X4_en.pdf

#4 6 years ago

So, snyper2099 CactusJack , I just need to disable the slam switches?

Easy enough! Thanks! I will try that this weekend and report back!

#5 6 years ago

Of that, I am not sure. I could not find any reference to RND1 - 6 in the manual (maybe I missed it). I just wanted to provide an alternative method to jumpering the Slam Switch.

Personally, I don't like to permanently jumper the slam switches since they are used to exit the menus. But that's up to you. Installing a dip shunt (those small black jumpers like are used to select Master and Slave on Hard Drives or CD Rom drives) is quick and a nice troubleshooting method which is easily reversed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-with-gottlieb-system-1-loop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.