Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by newtoit
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a JM and all the gi on the same strand is not working. When testing for power at j115 it has 6.3v, but at j121 I have no voltage. Fuse is good.
From my understanding power comes in at j115 and goes through a pre driver and a couple resistors then into the "triac" which looks like a transistor attached to the large heat sink, from there power goes out to the connector
At j121.
The predriver tests the same as the others .8 so I assume it's good. I am unsure of how to test the triac. It is labeled as bt138 500e.
Is it possible to test it, and is it the same part as this one for sale at marcos.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=bt138
Is there anything else that would affect this gi strand. Fyi it is the brown and white/brown strand.

#2 9 years ago

If you lost through board or across board continuity would do it.

You have AC going to the board ? Check transformer connectors for burn too.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

I have ac power at the board j115.
The gi is working on every strand except the lights with the brown and brown/white wires connected to them.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

The gi is working on every strand except the lights with the brown and brown/white wires connected to

Cool. Now do you have through and across board continuity on the solder joints and traces ?

#5 9 years ago

I have continuity from j115-2 to j121-11. And continuity from j115-3 to j121-7. Those are the brown/white wires.

The solid brown wire at j121-1 goes to the triac at q18 the trace goes to the middle leg. It has continuity. The left leg of the triac at q18 has continuity to j115-8. Which is oddly an orange wire.

I hope this helps.

#6 9 years ago

I'd replace the triac next.

#7 9 years ago

I posted a link above with one available from marcospeciallties. Is that one compatible?

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

I replaced the triac and the 5401 to no avail.

Here's some new info that may help.
With connectors j121 and j120 unplugged I get around 6 volts ac on the pins associated with the brown and white/brown wires. If I plug either j121 or j121 in the voltage goes to zero.

#9 9 years ago

Well, that's easy then : you've got a shorted bulb socket.

Inspect each and every one, and I bet you find your problem.

#10 9 years ago

I got it and I'll do my best to explain. The solution was simple and LTG pointed me in the right direction but I didnt look hard enough.

Quoted from LTG:

You have AC going to the board ? Check transformer connectors for burn too.

Their was a hack job done to bypass the connector from the transformer. They eliminated the connector for 2 of the wires literally clipping the wires at the connector and crimping them together. The wires are actually pairs of wires and 1 of the wires wasn't connected. The unconnected wire was still in the connector but nothing was connected to it.

I figured it out the hard way. I was looking through the schematics and realized the orange wire (the aforementioned culprit) actually goes to the triac at q18. This is the triac associated with strand that was out but this strand is on the brown and brown/white wires.
Why does the orange wire feed the brown brown/white strand? I don't know but once I saw that in the schematics I focused on the orange wire checking for continuity from the board backwards and finally leading down to the transformer connector.
This is more of a ramble than a repair guide.

Long story short.. problem solved. All g.i is working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 29.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-williams-wpc-general-illumination-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.