Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Williams Time Warp with stuck switches. When I run a switch test (http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Switch_Problems) without the switch wiring (2P2 and 2P3) plugged into the driver board, the switch test indicates that switch 37,5,13,21 and 29 are closed. The entire matrix line on the green/white row is not working. I know there is a problem with the board. I have checked voltage on the green/white and it appears to be correct.

This machine has not worked in 30 years. I had the board repaired from battery damage and also replaced some bad capacitors on some switches (one of those being switch 21 (left bottom jet bumper)) that were pulling in solenoids and burning out the soloed fuse. The machine wiring now appears to be good. Machine now plays, just some of the switches don't work.

Guy who repaired the driver board has offered to repair again (dude has been very helpful), but I have to mail the board back. There is a chance I could damage the board again if the issue is intermittent. Would hate to mail this thing back more than twice.

He thinks 4049 hex buffer on the driver board may be bad. Can anyone tell me how to test? Or point me to a resource? ... or have any other ideas on why the switches are not working and how I can track down the issue. I am an fairly new at this, but really enjoy. I may be coming addicted.

#2 7 years ago

the 4049 buffers usually fail for a reason. Like a switch lug is touching a solenoid lug. Inspect that wire color under the PF.

A logic probe can confirm whether it is the 4049 or the PIA. Probably is the 4049. They tend to act like a fuse for the PIA when bad shit happens under the PF. THe 7406 do the same.

#3 7 years ago

I have a logic probe, but have never used. Any good links or advice on how to use? I the meanwhile I'll google.

#4 7 years ago

I need some help interpreting the results of the logic probe. In game mode I get a high signal out of the 4049 for the offending circuit and nothing in. If I hit a switch on the circuit, I get a very dimly lit low signal on the logic tester. If I check a non-offending circuit across 4049, I get high out and low in. Both are strong. Nothing changes if I push in a switch on the good circuit. Does that mean 4049 is bad?

Have not checked the PIA. Not sure where it is at yet.

#5 7 years ago

Need some guidance on the logic pin results. See above, Please help.

#6 7 years ago

Columns (7406 chips) drive. They are constantly pulsing signals.

The 4049s read. When the switch is closed, the drive signal can make it back to 4049. When there is no signal coming to the input because the switch is open, the 4.7k pullup resistor pulls this inputs HIGH. A closed switch forces it LOW (pulses). If the low signal comes to the input of the 4049, yet the output never changes state (4049 is an inverter, output is opposite the input). The 4049 is bad.

Basically make sure all the columns pulsing, then make sure the 4049s read when you close switches.

Another test is to see if anything is shorted to ground. Power off test. DMM on diode test. Red lead on ground. Black lead touch every coumn and row pin. See if any read 0.00 or close to it (columns fail in this manor most often).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-williams-system-6-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.