(Topic ID: 291116)

Help with Williams Fire Audio problem

By deals-are-me

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all. I would appreciate some help from any pinsiders with my Fire. I have fully restored a 1987 Williams Fire. All was well apart from very bad hum on the audio than increased as the controlled lamps cycled. The machine has a new Rottendog PSU. I changed all the Capacitors on the Audio Board ED-11581-556 and accidentally shorted the board to earth (Damm!!) It blew the 5 volt 8 Amp fuse. Since then I have no Music at all but have speech and sound effects. The machine does not "bong" when switched on but is fully functional apart from no music. Having time on my hands but no test gear apart from a DVM, I have socketed (without damage to the PCB at all), every IC on the sound board and replaced every IC including the TDA 2002 Amplifiers with known good ones with the exception of U4 the Music & Speech Rom The problem is the same but now with no hum. Am I correct in saying that Speech and SFX are generated on the main CPU and the music on the Audio board? I am cross with myself because I have caused this problem and 40+ years working as a Broadcast Engineer should have taught me to be careful. As there is not much left to go wrong on the sound board can I realistically now point to the ROM? ps: The CPU / Sound board ribbon is also new! Please help as this is driving me nuts!

#2 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
Some great reading and troubleshooting tips here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_Sound_Problems

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-williams-fire-audio-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.