You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playboy_Lamps_Grotto_3-4.jpg
BE5D8EBD-9CCE-443B-BFEF-10747C4ED2C3 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Hello All

Wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what appears to be a hack in the picture. This is on a Bally Playboy and the number 3 and 4 in the grotto area controlled lights are tied together. Any reason why this would be done. It is obvious by the wiring that this was not factory.

Thank you

George

George

BE5D8EBD-9CCE-443B-BFEF-10747C4ED2C3 (resized).jpegBE5D8EBD-9CCE-443B-BFEF-10747C4ED2C3 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

My bet is 1 of the driver scrs is not working (or the wire is broken) so they tied it to one that did. Jumpering to a working lamp is an easy way to verify power, socket and lamp. But it's a test not a fix.
Check the lamp board scr, header pins and connector

#3 2 years ago

Thank you Cheddar I am grateful. I know enough to know that it should not be there. Your explanation makes total sense and I am grateful. I am going to remove it. This will at least expose the issue and then allow for a fix. Thank you again

#4 2 years ago

Is there 3 wires connected to that one lamp? Normally there is a common wire maybe that Orange wire that goes to the braid at the base of the sockets then each controlled lamp has one wire going to it.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hello All
Wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what appears to be a hack in the picture. This is on a Bally Playboy and the number 3 and 4 in the grotto area controlled lights are tied together. Any reason why this would be done. It is obvious by the wiring that this was not factory.
Thank you
George
George[quoted image]

Check the bus connection and then the SCR. IIRC on Playboy there are a couple of unused SCR's on the lamp driver board, so you can swap if you need to and don't have one on hand. This vintage Bally is notorious for crappy connectors (.100) on the wiring bus at this stage in their lifespan.

#6 2 years ago

Hello All,

Yes, I am going to replace the wiring connectors on the playfield harness going to the lamp/driver board. Haven't done it yet but it is on the to do list as I know after this many years, those pins need some attention. Thank you!! Can anyone assist possibly with which SCR might be at issue here. This starts to get
above my paygrade quickly.

George...

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Can anyone assist possibly with which SCR might be at issue here.

Click the image to zoom in.

Playboy_Lamps_Grotto_3-4.jpgPlayboy_Lamps_Grotto_3-4.jpg

#8 2 years ago

Awesome @quench!!! I am very grateful. I will check both of those scr’s. I finally have a good soldering iron along with my Hakko desoldering tool so it makes it very easy to remove components and verify them. Thank you again!!

#9 2 years ago

You can't easily check an SCR with a meter - well, if they are shorted the meter will show you that but not if they are actually working or not

They are so cheap, if you are going to remove them, I wouldn't bother testing - just replace them and be done with it.

#10 2 years ago

I concur pins4u my plan exactly. I’ll just replace the two possible scr’s in question. Thank you for your suggestion

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 199.95
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-what-appears-to-be-a-hack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.