Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Navystan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a super nice TZ that was part of a package deal of four nice games I bought some years ago, TZ was a duplicate for me so I sold my old one and finally got around to setting up this other one. Upon boot, I get "Clock is Broken", but the entire clock assembly and opto board were taken and tested in another game, they worked fine. It's got me and a few pinball friends scratching their heads. In test the hands move but none of the optos ever make/break. It was suggested to me to replace the 8-driver board, I did with no change. I've also tried another MPU board.

So who's got an idea of what to check next?

#2 8 years ago

MPU and Opto board won't do anything here.

Look at the 8-Driver board, connected to the MPU in the backbox with the 'DISPLAY' (medium) ribbon cable.

#3 8 years ago

I replaced that.

#4 8 years ago

So if you enter Click Test, take the front panel off the clock and stick a piece of paper in an opto, it's never reported as being blocked (closed)?

And you replaced the 8-driver board in the backbox, no change, AND you replaced the MPU, no change? And the clock works in another game?

#5 8 years ago

I've not stuck anything between the optos as the clock worked in another game. And yes, changed the 8-driver board, and yes changed the MPU board.

#6 8 years ago

Test the optos. It's the only thing left, despite working in another game. Are the optos OPEN or BLOCKED (in test mode, are there 'X's in the squares, or not) normally in the game?

If what you say above is all true (not saying you're lying, just spelling it out) then it's a wiring issue in your game - your'e going to WISH that it was a board problem.

Depending on whether the optos are reporting open or blocked, it's likely a voltage problem - bad plug, broken wire delivering GND to +12 to the clock boards.

#7 8 years ago

The wires in the cable going to the clock are probably broken inside the shielding. Right before the connectors that goes to the clock board

A buddy of mine bought a new clock board only for the new one to not work either.

I checked the wires for him and sure enough they looked fine but were broken (open circuit) inside.
More than likely right in the drastic bend they have going through the plastic clock housing. Right at the molex connector.
Thats were his were.
His had a few broken wires on each plug
But visually they looked fine. And well connected.

4 years later
#8 4 years ago

Anyone else have a similar issue? Did you ever determine the problem?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-twilight-zone-clock-is-broken-not-the-clock-or-opto-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.