(Topic ID: 201655)

Help with third flipper on Bally Doctor Who

By DngrWillRobinson

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Image (resized).jpg
    Image 1 (resized).jpg
    Image 2 (resized).jpg
    319744A7-7E57-416E-BFFB-8572CEACCDA7 (resized).jpeg
    1E9BCECC-6888-4DEF-8D61-FA2932D61B7B (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

I just received a Bally Doctor Who today, my first pin. Initially the third flipper would randomly fire intermittently then it just stopped working. Any advise? Like I said, this is my first pin so assume I have zero knowledge, so please take that into consideration when explaining.

Thank you,
    John

#2 6 years ago

I'd go into Tests - Switch Edge, and see if all the flipper button switches work. Push button in slowly, you should see first one then the second one register on the DMD.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

It gives me a message of “U.L. Flipper E.O.S. is stuck closed.”

Solution?

#4 6 years ago

open the game up and find the flipper under the playfield. You will see the mechanism that moves the flipper, part of which includes a piece that is 2 long thin pieces of metal, one longer than the other. Those should not be touching, you may need to separate them if they were accidentally bent closed.

Make sure they have a tiny gap (like 1/8") all the time, not too wide but definitely not touching.

#5 6 years ago

Rdoyle1978, it appears they are touching, is this what you mean?

1E9BCECC-6888-4DEF-8D61-FA2932D61B7B (resized).jpeg1E9BCECC-6888-4DEF-8D61-FA2932D61B7B (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

That mechanism that moves the flipper gets stuck. I can feel it sticking when I manually move it. The other two move freely. And return to the starting position when I let it go.

#7 6 years ago

By the way, they are only touching when the flipper gets stuck. When I unstick it they don’t touch.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I can feel it sticking when I manually move it.

Time to rebuild your flippers. New coil stop, new plunger, new coil sleeve.

If that coil got hot and melted the coil sleeve, you have other issues going on too.

You might be ahead to get someone in to help you so you don't make things worse.

#9 6 years ago

Hit up vids guide to rebuilding flippers. If it seems like Greek hire a pro to do it for you.

#10 6 years ago

319744A7-7E57-416E-BFFB-8572CEACCDA7 (resized).jpeg319744A7-7E57-416E-BFFB-8572CEACCDA7 (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago

LTG, funny you should mention coil getting hot. It smelled like something was burning in there. So I guess it’s shot? Can I get a replacement and just drop it in plug and play style or does it need to come apart and be rebuilt?

#12 6 years ago

Can I get a replacement and just drop it in plug and play style or does it need to come apart and be rebuilt?

What caused it ? Two transistors driving it on fliptronics board ?

You really need a little hands on help here.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

What caused it ? Two transistors driving it on fliptronics board ?
    You really need a little hands on help here.

I agree, so how do I find someone local to fix this? Yellow pages?

#14 6 years ago

I agree, so how do I find someone local to fix this? Yellow pages?

I'd start a new thread. Title it need advice on a good tech Chicago area.

Asking in this thread might not be seen.

People here will offer who to call.

#15 6 years ago

Ok, I think we're making progress. Pintopia has been walking me through this and it seems that there is a cooked transistor on the fliptronics board. Q9 to be exact. You can see the burning in the close ups, both front and back. Any idea what caused this? Is it just because it's a 25 year old machine and this stuff just happens? Anyway, the board is on the way back to Pintopia for repair and in the meantime I'll be taking apart the flipper coil to see what's causing it to stick. First pin and I'm already learning, oh boy!

Image 2 (resized).jpgImage 2 (resized).jpg

Image 1 (resized).jpgImage 1 (resized).jpg

Image (resized).jpgImage (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-third-flipper-on-bally-doctor-who and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.