3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0736 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

Check the drive transistor on the auxiliary power board. That would be a TIP36C.

1 month later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

is this part of the special solenoid switch circuit? If so could a switch be locking on causing the coil (and ultimately Q1 and R1) to burn out? Or am I on the wrong track here?

No. It is not part of the special solenoids. The special solenoids are 17-22. The catapult is 3A. It can be referred to as a switched solenoid but it's switched in the sense that the CPU drive transistor Q32 is switched between the A or C side not the solenoid being triggered by a playfield switch. The word switch is being used as a verb in one instance (switching between power sources = 3A) and a noun in another (triggered by a switch = 17-22). Curse the English language.

A little more troubleshooting tonight - the coil that fires the catapult is not shorted nor burnt as far as I can tell. Normal resistance compared to similar coils and I note that the coil sleeve comes out normally telling me the coil is not getting hot or being left on. Not to mention when it burned out last night I would have noticed if the catapult had been stuck up. Switch for catapult also seems to be working normally.

The coil is specified as 23-800 and that should be around 3.9 Ohms (from memory). If the solenoid is shorted you should blow a fuse for sure and possibly damage the transistor due to the excessive current. When you test the resistance you should ideally isolate the solenoid. You can probably just pull the drive wire connector on the interconnect board to isolate it.

I did test the transistors on the MPU again and they test fine and do not appear to have blown when Q1 and R1 on aux board blew. Despite that I can't help but wonder if the MPU (which has battery damage repair) is somehow intermittently causing a problem that results in Q1/R1 on the driver board to burn out. I'm stumped.

The drive transistor on the CPU board is Q32 and that's in the lower left corner (where all the other regular solenoid drive transistors are). It's almost as far away from the corrosion zone as you can get. That's not to say that corrosion cannot affect it but it's a low probability.

Would you guys do anything else when replacing Q1/R1 on aux board again? Anything else I should test/check?
I should also mention that (oddly enough) D3, D33, D34 all test fine as well. I don't know what I should be looking at. Help appreciated.

The only thing I can suggest to try putting an explicit diode across the solenoid.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-taxi-problem-with-catapult?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.