You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My Metallica arrived today and its awesome, it needs a speaker upgrade for sure, which one is the most used or recommended? I have never had a game that needed speaker upgrades so i am unfamiliar with them

#2 10 years ago

either pinballpro
or flipper fidelity
pinball pro has upgrade options for bigger magnet on woofer and led lights on the backbox speakers in a few colors. I like the effect the led lit speakers give.

#3 10 years ago

I wouldnt get either of those. I would get a external sub as its got the best bang for your buck. Hands down cant argue.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

it needs a speaker upgrade for sure

Yup the stock speakers are the weakest part of the package.
I'm in the same boat as you, thanks for asking the question.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I wouldnt get either of those. I would get a external sub as its got the best bang for your buck. Hands down cant argue.

I just tried the exact same install on Metallica I did on Tron with an external sub and no dice.
Sub was working fine but interfering with the stock speakers causing sound degradation.

Any ideas ?

The one thing the game is missing is a great (or decent) sound system.

#6 10 years ago

Remove the inline cap and rewire accordingly. There is no degradation. But 90% of volume with that cap comes out of woofer.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Remove the inline cap and rewire accordingly.

Not sure exactly what you mean, can you spell it out in 'NOOB' ?
I used alligator clips on TRON and worked like a charm.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I think its lame having a sub under the machine "hands down". Plus on a music pin you'll probably want some treble so the backbox should be replaced.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think its lame having a sub under the machine "hands down". Plus on a music pin you'll probably want some treble so the backbox should be replaced.

Hey I am just idiot "Hands down" you the smartest masta boss man.

#10 10 years ago

so which kit will sound the best with my Metallica? anyone have a link to what I need?

#11 10 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA

Get this. No need for flipper fidelity or pinball pro. This thing kicks. Easy to install and cheaper!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

so which kit will sound the best with my Metallica? anyone have a link to what I need?

It depends on your skill set and what you want. If you're a newb just get a kit. If go sub and backbox. Flipper fidelity or pinball pro.

If you understand audio and wiring, and don't mind an external sub box on the floor under the machine, you can put some 4" clarion coax in the backbox and wire up the under cab sub. Make sure it had high level inputs. This will probably sound great. For the music pin, just adding an external sub won't be enough. You'll notice all the missing highs if you do that and will need the coax for treble.

Personally, I will do clarions in the backbox and a nice efficient 8" internal sub with passive crossover for mine. It will be self contained and sound close to the external sub in quality.

#13 10 years ago

What does it take to hook this up to a PIN?

#14 10 years ago

Thanks Pinitration, just ordered that sub, that should work nicely!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I will do clarions in the backbox and a nice efficient 8" internal sub with passive crossover for mine. It will be self contained and sound close to the external sub in quality.

Any chance we could get you to do a step-by-step of what you're going to do here like you did with your excellent (albeit more involved) ACDC Premium speaker upgrade?

I have no problem with installing the Clarions and a sub, but I'm not knowledgeable on what needs to change in relation to the crossovers, etc. and would love product recommendations from an expert such as yourself.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Any chance we could get you to do a step-by-step of what you're going to do here like you did with your excellent (albeit more involved) ACDC Premium speaker upgrade?
I have no problem with installing the Clarions and a sub, but I'm not knowledgeable on what needs to change in relation to the crossovers, etc. and would love product recommendations from an expert such as yourself.

I'll happily outline it as soon as my acdc actually shows up

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Personally, I will do clarions in the backbox and a nice efficient 8" internal sub with passive crossover for mine. It will be self contained and sound close to the external sub in quality.

I prefer this setup too. Not only is it self contained, but with the internal sub, you can feel the music more as well. Thanks again markmon for your ACDC guide.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I prefer this setup too. Not only is it self contained, but with the internal sub, you can feel the music more as well. Thanks again markmon for your ACDC guide.

Yes this is very true!

I actually built a ported box into the floor of my machine and installed an Infinity Sub-Woofer with a port out of the bottom of the machine, and you can definitely feel the bass in your hands, this is what I like most about the upgraded speaker system.

At times the sub is just as strong as a shaker, but then again I also installed a small seperate amp to run the Sub. This also aims the moving air from the sub directly down out of the bottom of the cabinet and away from the playfield, so I do not get a lot of shaking sounds from the playfield.

Pictures of my speakers I selected and the ported box I built into the bottom of the cabinet are shown in this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-popeye-custom-modified

#19 10 years ago

I tried a lot of things on my AC/DC. External sub sounded good, but I prefer an intern solution.
So I think the FF and Pinball Pro sets are great. I now have a pinball pro kit in my AC/DC and I am very happy with it.

For my Metallica I would like to get the same.
But I am not sure, will the Metallica LE have a 12'' Sub like the AC/DC?

#20 10 years ago

Flipper Fidelity is a must IMO, at least the sub, but I usually do all the speakers. Got my Metallica today and will be installing it before I even play the first game.

#21 10 years ago

Question for the audio heads:

Could the speaker gauge have caused my problem with interference?
I was using a cable from my home stereo which is tiny.
This weekend I'll try again with a thicker gauge speaker cable...

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

The one thing the game is missing is a great (or decent) sound system.

When will Stern ever figure this out. Especially on a music pin.

I guess if they added a extra $150 dollars to the price, some people would complain.

#23 10 years ago

Yes.

Quoted from Asael:

I tried a lot of things on my AC/DC. External sub sounded good, but I prefer an intern solution.
So I think the FF and Pinball Pro sets are great. I now have a pinball pro kit in my AC/DC and I am very happy with it.
For my Metallica I would like to get the same.
But I am not sure, will the Metallica LE have a 12'' Sub like the AC/DC?

No. Seems standard set up. Therefore, standard sub and backbox replacement makes sense.

#24 10 years ago

movingpictures said:

Yes.

Thats why I used a very thick, heavily shielded wire.

IMG_1057.jpgIMG_1057.jpg IMG_1058.jpgIMG_1058.jpg

#25 10 years ago

It was the friggin alligator clips!!

I stripped more of the cable and just wrapped it around.
Works like a charm and greatly improves the sound.
Thanks for the help troubleshooting.

I'm still missing some proper mids and highs though.
Think I'll add the full speaker upgrade in the future and put the sub back under tron.

2 months later
#26 10 years ago

I have just purchased a NIB AC/DC Premium, and taking the advice of 'markmon' have upgraded both the backbox speakers and upgraded the 12" sub to an active sub.

No external subs or speakers, the sound is now like being at an AC/DC concert.

I can actually feel air being blown up and around the lock-down bar by my hands when on the flipper buttons.

The whole cabinet shakes, so much so I have had to add anti-rattle tape to the glass.

And this is what I did (its UK based but you will be able to get the parts Worldwide).

First I replaced the backbox speakers with;

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/373438/Sinustec-St-100c-2-way-Coax-System/SHOP_AREA_17281?

When doing so I needed some plastic spacers as the speakers were not flush, I also remove the capacitor that Stern add to the left speaker.

Next I replaced the subwoofer, now some folks say the one Stern supply with the Premium is good enough, well if you hear this beast its NOT! The weight alone (when compared with the Stern one) tells the story.

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/300853/CPA-12-150-PA-Speaker-Drivers-8-/SHOP_AREA_22500?

Finally to drive the new Sub is the following;

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/300518/Conrad-Active-150W-Integrated-amplifier-module/SHOP_AREA_22499?

This just about fits where the coinbox should be.
Giving cutoff and volume control.

Now the whole machine moves and the room.

Rock 'n roll baby..

#27 10 years ago

Flipper fidelity in mine, sounds great!

#28 10 years ago

It was the friggin alligator clips!!
I stripped more of the cable and just wrapped it around.
Works like a charm and greatly improves the sound.
Thanks for the help troubleshooting.
I'm still missing some proper mids and highs though.
Think I'll add the full speaker upgrade in the future and put the sub back under tron.

Before you waste money on those "high end" speaker kits, you should try sampling the audio on a PC. What you'll find is that they are all so compressed, that it's really not worth the upgrade. You will see an improvement, but you'd see close to the same improvement buying an external sub (which I know you did) and spending ~$20 on a set of car speakers.

#29 10 years ago

What we need is a vid's guide to Speaker MODs.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

What we need is a vid's guide to Speaker MODs.

Agreed. My ACDC sound is incredible and how can I even get close to this on my Metallica? My external sub isn't cutting it I'm guessing because the internal sub woofer its wired to is so darn small. The Flipper Fidelity sub still looks small to me. Does it still pack some serious punch? Really would like my sound to be close to my ACDC sitting beside it.

#31 10 years ago

Anyone else have the pinball pro full kit (I do)? I'm still messing with settings trying to get optimal sound. Looking for pointers.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

Anyone else have the pinball pro full kit (I do)? I'm still messing with settings trying to get optimal sound. Looking for pointers.

Overall - at this stage - how are you finding the P-Pro kit ? ( even though it may 'improve' from the sounds of it with some tweaking, I am curious as to how you rate it straight out of the box ? )

? out of 10 = ?

#33 10 years ago

Since I have done this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many times with the way I change new stern games. I will share my thoughts.
EXTERNAL sub. $59-$99 on amazon for a very good low end that CANNOT be produced from any cabinet sub. period.
I also do swap the back box speakers with either of the mentioned above speakers to get my clarity out of the hi's. Yes, they do that for you.
So. IMO
Replace just the back box. Add external powered sub. and take a few minutes to adjust volume on both to your liking. This combo works extremely well on music pins. Im kinda an audio nut. I have a nice HT set up and the BEST possible earbuds known to exist so I like clean good sound.

Another great thing about external sub is NO RATTLE of the glass or inside of your cabinet just good clean sound. I leave the factory sub disconnected btw.

2 weeks later
#34 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Since I have done this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many times with the way I change new stern games. I will share my thoughts.EXTERNAL sub. $59-$99 on amazon for a very good low end that CANNOT be produced from any cabinet sub. period.I also do swap the back box speakers with either of the mentioned above speakers to get my clarity out of the hi's. Yes, they do that for you.So. IMOReplace just the back box. Add external powered sub. and take a few minutes to adjust volume on both to your liking. This combo works extremely well on music pins. Im kinda an audio nut. I have a nice HT set up and the BEST possible earbuds known to exist so I like clean good sound.Another great thing about external sub is NO RATTLE of the glass or inside of your cabinet just good clean sound. I leave the factory sub disconnected btw.

Thanks what backbox speakers and external sub do you recommend

#35 10 years ago

I have full pinball pro kits in both AC/DC & Metallica along with powered subs under each one. Both sound way better now but it seems like AC/DC had a bigger outcome.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Since I have done this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many times with the way I change new stern games. I will share my thoughts.
EXTERNAL sub. $59-$99 on amazon for a very good low end that CANNOT be produced from any cabinet sub. period.
I also do swap the back box speakers with either of the mentioned above speakers to get my clarity out of the hi's. Yes, they do that for you.
So. IMO
Replace just the back box. Add external powered sub. and take a few minutes to adjust volume on both to your liking. This combo works extremely well on music pins. Im kinda an audio nut. I have a nice HT set up and the BEST possible earbuds known to exist so I like clean good sound.
Another great thing about external sub is NO RATTLE of the glass or inside of your cabinet just good clean sound. I leave the factory sub disconnected btw.

It's a catch 22, because the problem with the external sub is that you don't feel the bass coming from the pin as much as you do with an internal one. In other words, using an external powered sub, you can very much tell that it's just that: external.

I use both methods. I actually have a slight preference for the internal speaker upgrade kits vs external, but it depends on the pin.

8 years later
#37 2 years ago

....so I guess 4 ohm speaker are ok. Metallica stock are 8 ohms...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 149.00
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-speaker-upgrade-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.