(Topic ID: 29126)

Help with source for cable connector for Sonic Faces chime bar.

By Ottoparts

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Ottoparts
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Faces Segasa-Sonic, 1976

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
Picture_006.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi guys and gals, very new em pinball owner here. I have been fixing and restoring a Sonic Faces that has been "de-noised". By that I mean all of the cables to the chime bar solonoids have not only been disconnected, but the connector has been cut off and discarded. I can solder new wires right from the chime bars to the connector, but somehow that doesn't feel right. It also might increase the wife-acceptance factor if I can unplug the chime bars if I have the urge to have a few late night games.
I have looked at the usual sites I have ordered other stuff off from, but none seem to have anything that I would describe as being this part and I am hampered by the fact I really don't know what to look for. I have also thought of tripling up the wires, tinning them with solder and shoving them in the holes on the connector so I can disconect them, but that seems really...unelegant, and considering the work I have put in to the machine, I would rather do it right the first time.
Any suggestions of sources would be appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

You probably need a jones connector/plug.

This is the same type of plug as the others in your machine (guessing)

Can you post a pic or where the connector goes and show how many pins it has?

I dunno if anyone seels Jones Plugs still but im sure a few of us might have an extra lying around for sale

--Jeff

#3 11 years ago

A molex connector like this >>( http://www.mycashop.com/products/106957/ ) might be the ticket if other sources do not pan out. Pinball approved >>>http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#4 11 years ago

Thanks guys, here is a pic

Picture_006.jpgPicture_006.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Ok so it like you need a 8 pin jones connector .

Do you have the schematics to match the wire colors up?

I might have one in the garage

heres an Ebay Auction with one it it

http://tinyurl.com/atgbukp

#6 11 years ago

That looks like a coin unit plug to me? It should look like this ----Pic 1 ---- And on Pic 2 ----Trace the black common to where it would originate from the missing male plug & wire a toggle switch as to interrupt the circuit --- disabling the chime unit-------- Post some pics of what your dealing with as to get better guidance.( chime unit/wiring )

IMG_1850.JPGIMG_1850.JPG IMG_1845.JPGIMG_1845.JPG

#7 11 years ago

Pin-It.

youre right it does looks like that a coin unit plug and its currently set on 6?...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Pin-It.
youre right it does looks like that a coin unit plug and its currently set on 6?...

Even if he purchases the 8 unit plug you said a post ago all he would have to do is let the 2 extra plugs hang past the female plug. CYA

T

Quoted from Ottoparts:I can solder new wires right from the chime bars to the connector, -

That is what i would do or crimp connect? Just match the colors connect the black common? to a toggle. DONE

2 months later
#9 11 years ago

First off, really sorry for not getting back to this, family issues intruded and the pin had to be set aside for a bit. Second, I really appreciate the response and help from you guys. And third, I need to learn to read a schematic!

It turns out it was a molex plug with the wires ripped off flush, but when I traced the wires back I got crossed somewhere. The picture was the coin unit plug. It turns out it was at a different place on the board ("hidden" right under the chime bar.) I also took the suggestion of putting a switch on the common for a "late night" mode and and it worked great. Wife is much happier now, and again, I really appreciate the help and guidance offered by everyone that responded.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-source-for-cable-connector-for-sonic-faces-chime-bar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.