(Topic ID: 260276)

Help with snapped post stud

By Blackbeard

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7551FEEA-C0B9-4678-B4AC-B20962AE3444 (resized).jpeg
    9BC0AD92-0D71-4FB6-BD3C-5CAA3597D620 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

A few of my bad cats post studs have snapped due to locktite.

The post is 2” long and has a diameter of about 1/8”.

Any one have a part number or link to them?

7551FEEA-C0B9-4678-B4AC-B20962AE3444 (resized).jpeg7551FEEA-C0B9-4678-B4AC-B20962AE3444 (resized).jpeg9BC0AD92-0D71-4FB6-BD3C-5CAA3597D620 (resized).jpeg9BC0AD92-0D71-4FB6-BD3C-5CAA3597D620 (resized).jpeg
    #4 4 years ago

that is them, I had to order a ton of them for my Mousin around. Seems some system 11's got the loctite treatment. Was a major pain in the butt. I ended up having to cut most of mine with bolt cutters and buy new.

#5 4 years ago

Gotta have a strong stable of tophats; machine & wood

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

that is them, I had to order a ton of them for my Mousin around. Seems some system 11's got the loctite treatment. Was a major pain in the butt. I ended up having to cut most of mine with bolt cutters and buy new.

You can them up from the bottom side with a soldering iron, and the heat will release the loctite.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

You can them up from the bottom side with a soldering iron, and the heat will release the loctite.

I tried that, it was ridiculous. I finally gave up and just cut them all.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I tried that, it was ridiculous. I finally gave up and just cut them all.

I've cut them before too, and I've heated. Just depended on how much money I wanted to put into the game.

Almost all Sys 11 games will have loctite on the posts.

#9 4 years ago

I've found that when you heat up the post from underneath either with a soldering iron tip or a small torch, by the time it gets hot enough to loosen the locktite, the wood around it gets scorched/burnt!

I've found it is easier to simply go ahead and snap off the bolts and buy new screws and T-nuts. Then it's much easier in the future.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I've found that when you heat up the post from underneath either with a soldering iron tip or a small torch, by the time it gets hot enough to loosen the locktite, the wood around it gets scorched/burnt!
    I've found it is easier to simply go ahead and snap off the bolts and buy new screws and T-nuts. Then it's much easier in the future.

I've never scorched wood with a soldering iron before, but have with a torch.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I've cut them before too, and I've heated. Just depended on how much money I wanted to put into the game.
    Almost all Sys 11 games will have loctite on the posts.

my transporter, high speed, and police force did not have loctite thank goodness

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

my transporter, high speed, and police force did not have loctite thank goodness

My HS, WW, ES, RGambler and FH all did/do

#13 4 years ago

So, if you ever need to grip something small and put a crap ton of torque on it, use a regular electric screwdriver with an auto-chuck. You know how you open up the end of your drill to put in different drill bits? That 3 way opening/closing device can get a real good grip on things. Then simply turn that sucker up to grab whatever small item you need to get a hold of, but a wrench on the other end, and simply back the bold out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-snapped-post-stud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.