• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by LRGy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

New to here so Hi to everyone..

I am currently restoring a SF2 pinball and have managed so far to get a few parts working that were not, but I am struggling with the Bottom Right Upkicker (Sol.4).

I have been using the very helpful repair guide by the legend that is Marvin3m (thank you), but I am completely stumped with getting this coil to fire when the ball lands in it.

I have done the following and everything checks out:

1 - Coil gets voltage at both side of the lugs
2 - Coil gives ohms reading
3 - Momentarily ground non-banded coil lug and coil fires
4 - Replaced the MosFET for this coil (just in case) was giving a dodgy reading
5 - Momentarily touch Ground to the relevant MosFET (Q5) and Coil fires
6 - Checked switch that connects to coil so machine knows ball is there - Working

Everything looks like it is getting the correct power etc but when the game is playing and the ball drops in to the hole you hear the game acknowledge it knows the ball is there but does not fire it out.

The left side works fine and is on the same fuse so completely lost?? Can anyone help??

Please note that I am fairly new to this and have limited knowledge of electronics but have had some experience with these machines and so far not electrocuted myself...

#2 11 years ago

Its a long shot, but I had an acorn nut pop off one of the posts and roll inside the hole. This causes the VUK to fire repeatedly and eventually blow. It doesn't sound like that's the case with yours, but it might be helpful to make sure the switch is in a similar position to the bottom left VUK.

You seem like you know what you are doing, so don't take offense to my simpleton advice but, you've got an identical VUK to compare it to, so I would go piece by piece and follow the path comparing the left to the right.

Best of luck!

#3 11 years ago

What does the coil do when you run the solenoid diagnostic test?

1 week later
#4 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What does the coil do when you run the solenoid diagnostic test?

Thanks Ralph - sometimes the obvious misses you by, I ran the test and it did not fire. On further investigation I found that one of the mosfets has been badly put in by a previous repairer, the mosfet was doing its job but the connection on the circut board had been damaged. A simple bridge wire used and it is working like a dream.

Now I only two other bits to fix and then she is fully working - a simple coil change as have noticed the upper left flipper was blowing fuses and it is the incorrect coil and the #67 bulbs linked to the coils don't look like they are working.

But everything else is working and have spent the past 4 hours playing it with my sons and love the fact that they might be able to beat me on Call of Duty but dad has the high score on this

#5 11 years ago

The "wrong" coil won't blow a fuse per se. It is not uncommon for people to put in stronger coils - liken to hi-tap the transformer on an EM machine. I did this for a while on my Stargate but then went back to the stock coils for fear of breaking something on the playfield.

Be sure to check EOS switches on both flippers, stacked flipper cabinet switch and flipper wiring - all could contribute to blowing the fuse. The correct coil numbers are also printed on the bottom of the playfield. The manual has an addendum saying the lower left coil was changed after the manual was printed. What is says in the manual pages is wrong. Good luck - and keep beating your kids!

viperrwk

1 week later
#6 11 years ago

Hi - Coil did not have a sleeve and was shorting out and was also the incorrect coil, new one on its way from France..! and then should be rocking and rolling. Still hold the high score and my sons are not even close....lovin it..!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-sf2-pinball-gottlieb-system-3-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.