• Latest reply 4 years ago by Raff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Score Motor Switches (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Looking for some help with a Surf Champ EM . I had to replace the score motor and in doing so had to remove all the leaf switches around the plate . Even though I Took pictures when I did it and marked everything now I am not positive they all went back on correctly . So if anyone has a Surf champ and could take pictures of the Score stack switches I would appreciate it

#2 4 years ago

Page 7 of the Surf Champ manual lists every switch on the motor, and which switch stack actuators are in the S position. From those descriptions you should be able to find the wire colors on the schematic.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from cuda3134:

Looking for some help with a Surf Champ EM . I had to replace the score motor and in doing so had to remove all the leaf switches around the plate . Even though I Took pictures when I did it and marked everything now I am not positive they all went back on correctly . So if anyone has a Surf champ and could take pictures of the Score stack switches I would appreciate it

Your scenario just gave me a panic attack.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply . I did not remove the wires just the switches from the attachment , but the plate has different levels and ways to mount the switch stacks . I have a schematic not a manual. But have difficulty reading it . I will try to attach pictures . I will never buy another EM again .

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from cuda3134:

I will never buy another EM again .

Don't say that! Once they are working, they pretty much stay working. Not something I can say about my SS pinball machine

#6 4 years ago

Like HowardR said, the schematic will tell you how to position the switch dogs (S = Short, L = Long) that ride along the cam edges on the A and C levels.

Your switch stacks probably went back on the way they were before because the harness has “muscle memory,” but you can intuitively verify if you have them correct.

Make sure the score motor is turned to the home position. The switch dog on 1C should be in the cam trough, and the switch closest to the cam should be open.

Now, fixate on the switch stacks that concern you the most, the ones that mount on the front and back of a bracket. Turn the score motor slowly until one of the actuating rods pushes the switches. All switches should change state. Closed switches should open with a noticeable gap. Open switches should close, and close snugly. Make-break switches should make-break. This action should look clean and obvious. If all switches do not change state, or if they seem to bend too much, find the correct way to re-mount the switch.

This exercise is valuable for all of the switch stacks. Other things can go wrong when you take all the stacks off and put them back on again. Switch dog positions and the front-back-mounted switches are one thing, but you also have to be mindful that all the switches are straight and do not touch things above or below them. There is precious little clearance. If things are touching, loosen the screws and straighten the switches. I use a magnifying eyewear headset and strong light to really inspect things.

This annotated score motor diagram explains how to understand the numbers and letters. It’s from a different Gottlieb game, but the ABCs still apply to your Surf Champ. Refer to your schematic to see what your switches are supposed to do.

Score Motor Switches (resized).pngScore Motor Switches (resized).png

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from cuda3134:

I had to replace the score motor and in doing so had to remove all the leaf switches around the plate .

It's not clear whether you swapped just the frame motor on the bottom or both of the cams too. If you swapped the cams beware that they're not all the same. In particular the number or arrangement of pins may differ. That would be a bear to troubleshoot later.

/Mark

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from cuda3134:

I will never buy another EM again .

Of course you shall. Much more fun, challenging machine rules and has a better forum here than the SS too

#9 4 years ago

just the frame motor not the plates , Thanks to all that are trying to help , if I had any idea of how to read or understand a em Schematic I would not be posting this . Give me ICs and Transistors and rectifiers ' I replaced the motor due to stripped out gears and replaced a burnt solenoid on the player 4 score . Never has worked since the day I bought it . Closest was at one time I could start a game but it would go from player 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and back to 1 at which time it would now read ball 5 and score points on 1 until I shut it off . The more I try to check and adjust the score motor the worst off I am .

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from cuda3134:

just the frame motor not the plates , Thanks to all that are trying to help , if I had any idea of how to read or understand a em Schematic I would not be posting this . Give me ICs and Transistors and rectifiers ' I replaced the motor due to stripped out gears and replaced a burnt solenoid on the player 4 score . Never has worked since the day I bought it . Closest was at one time I could start a game but it would go from player 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and back to 1 at which time it would now read ball 5 and score points on 1 until I shut it off . The more I try to check and adjust the score motor the worst off I am .

Try messaging Pecos . His in Tucson and might be able to help.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Of course you shall. Much more fun, challenging machine rules and has a better forum here than the SS too

I agree, which is now giving ME a panic attack because I just bought an old WMS SS that I haven't unwrapped yet! The SS forum guys are good, but once you've been hooked by our EM forum experts, it's in your veins.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Once they are working, they pretty much stay working

Very true agree and one rule is if its not broken don't touch it you can cause more problems but once they are fixed and fine tuned they should be good for years.
Raff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-score-motir and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.