Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

road-show-mouth-motors.png
motorbrd1b.jpg
242773c.jpg
034.JPG
2014-06-05 15.18.17.jpg
2014-06-05 15.18.01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dbpbandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So I figured out why the game wont start, it's because of a coil in the pop up assembly (see pick)
The game can sense a ball in the lock but this small coil has to pull in to let the ball roll down, trip the switch, and then the second coil pops the ball out. The coil will not fire and someone tried to rig it so the ball will always roll down and get kicked out. I'm thinking this may effect the multi ball feature of the game? Anyways, can someone tell me if all of the parts are here? It looks like there may be something missing? Can someone please snap a pic of a working unit ?

Thanks

2014-06-05 15.18.01.jpg2014-06-05 15.18.01.jpg 2014-06-05 15.18.17.jpg2014-06-05 15.18.17.jpg
#4 9 years ago

Thanks, and no. Only the pop out one fires, the other foes not. I need to figure out if it's a bad coil or something on the driver board. I just want to make sure all of the parts are present. Seems to me like it's missing something. Thanks, I'm looking forward to the pics.

-Dave

#10 9 years ago

Cool, thanks for the pic. I can see where I am missing a piece from the bracket. (see pic) I actually found this in the bottom of the cab, now I know where it came from. Now I need to figure out how to fix it. Looks like it's a guide of some sort, not sure how it will work without it in place.

I did remove the zip ties and yes, the operator had them there to keep it open.

Also, I figured out why Red's mouth isn't working. Looks like the motor board is missing a resistor at R13 (see pic) I need to find one of these resistors and I'm hoping that it just fell out. My luck the operator cut it out out to fix another issue I haven't found yet.....

Thanks again for the help.

242773c.jpg242773c.jpg
motorbrd1b.jpgmotorbrd1b.jpg

1 week later
#11 9 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the right way to redirect but I've started a project thread on this here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-show-project-1

#13 9 years ago

Thanks, I'm glad it's helpful.

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

Hey Guys, I've got an odd issue with Red... When the game starts her moth is constantly opened? It does move up and down when she talks but It should be closed, almost like it's working in reverse? Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

#16 9 years ago

Maybe???? I just fed her the other day....

#17 9 years ago

BUMP and an Update:

So I still can't get Red to keep her big mouth shut.....

I've checked all of my connections and all of the solder joints on the motor control board. When I run Red through the test her mouth closes but doesn't stay closed, even thought the "mouth Closed" portion of the test is still running. One thing I have not done yet is to switch Red and Ted's connections at the motor control board (just wasn't thinking straight last night) I'll do that tonight and that should tell me if it's an issue with that board or something else. In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#19 9 years ago

I'll do that tonight, thanks.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Check for broken teeth on the gears, very common problem. Causes all kinds of sliding with the mouths. You have to really inspect them, both that connect together.

I did check for this and neither gear sets are missing any teeth. Both move smoothly.

Thanks.

#23 9 years ago

I have pulled the entire assembly apart and I even replaced sector gear with a new one. Everything "mechanically" looks good and works smooth. It seems to me that it's an electronic issue, like the motor isn't stopping when the mouth is in the closed position. The motor IS opening the mouth and closing it, it just wont stay in the closed position. After I swap the connections tonight I'll see if it's the MCB, if not and the problem stays the same, i.e. the problem does not go to Ted, then at least I can eliminate it as the culprit.

#25 9 years ago

Yep, it's definitely the MCB causing the issue. I switched Red and Ted and sure enough, the problem moved from Red to Ted.

So, I checked it out and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. However, I did resolder one if the coper coils (not sure of the actual name of these parts) because it looks like it had come lose and someone did a crappy job of repairing it. I also replaced the other resistor (I replaced the originally missing one prior to this) but now, Ted's mouth only opens and closes about half way. Red however is still the same, she wont close her mouth and keep it closed. So basically I went from bad to worse.... I don't have any matching caps but I'll pick some up and replace them next.

Does anyone work on these? Does anyone sell these? just asking, just in case.

Thanks.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks for the tip and the link. I may just go this route if after replacing the caps does not fix the issue.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Use a multimeter to check continuity from the big ceramic resistors to wherever they connect elsewhere on the board.
I had a problem with Red's mouth working intermittently, and after way too much troubleshooting, I realized that the leg of one of the resistors was just resting against the where it had broken off. I resoldered it and was perfect after that.
Because you had to replace the resistor, I'd say it's worth looking in that general area.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that next. It makes sense because Ted was working fine right up until I replaced that sand resistor. I almost switched it back to the old one.

Last night I replaced the two 100mf caps, replaced one of the tip 102's that was giving me a odd reading, replaced one of the diodes that looked suspicious and I also repined the connector going to Ted's motor. With all of this, absolutely nothing has changed.... It's really starting to bum me out.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Don't get despondent! Think how great it will feel when you figure it out. I wish I had copied my RS manual when I had it...I will try to download it and see if I can come up with anything.

Thanks.... I had to back away from this because I was starting to get to frustrated with it. I refocused my energy to a lighting issue with some of the GI's. This was also a frustrating problem but I eventually figured it out and yes, I do enjoy that feeling....
I will start back on the MCB tonight and see how far I get.

Thanks.

#33 9 years ago

OK, I finally got Ted to work normally after I replaced the header pins on the board where the motors connect. However, Red's mouth will still not stay shut. It closes but continues to the open position without even stopping. I have checked everything on the board and I do not see anything wrong. If I connect Ted to the it does the same thing so the issue is not with the motor or the connections. What controls this before the MCB? Maybe the issue is somewhere else? Any help is really appreciated...

Thanks

#34 9 years ago

I've been thinking about this (really bugging me) There must be a controller or sensor somewhere that must relay information as to the position of the mouth motor? Or information as to when the mouth motor hits the stop point? Is that on the MCB or is that on the CPU or somewhere else? Based on my observations it seem like the motor never stops when the mouth closes, just reverses back to the open position. In test it "thinks" the mouth is closed even though it's moved back to the open position. When the next phase of the test starts "open mouth" the motor never engages but the test results change to "mouth open" ?? The issue may still be on the MCB since I found, while troubleshooting, that if I left Red's motor disconnected, Ted's mouth would work as normal. Once I plugged Red back in Ted's mouth began to have the issue again. (mouth would not open and close properly and move really slow) Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure I solved Ted's issue. It seems to work during game play but I don't think I went back into test mode and tried it from there (I'll do that tonight) I'm just thinking (typing) out loud here and ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#36 9 years ago

Thank you for the information mot. So it sounds like it is an issue with the MCB then... So, if "It runs either direction briefly, and assumes that the movement has been completed" then it sounds like a timing issue? i.e. the motor is running too long in the "mouth closed" command? There must be a logical reason why this is happening. I know I can buy a replacement MCB but I'd hate to spend that $$$ only to find out that it's not an issue on the MCB. Although, it sounds more and more like it IS an issue with the MCB.... Thanks

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Edit: maybe watch the signal on TED during test on his control line, since you know that works... then do the same for RED and see what's different, then work back?

I'd need a logic probe for that, I don't have one... But I will trace those back and see what I can find, if anything. Thanks.

#40 9 years ago

So I should check the voltage going to each motor? Is that what your suggesting? Or check for voltage at the other end of the MCB?

#42 9 years ago

OK, I'll check and let you know what I find. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dbpbandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-roadshow-please?tu=dbpbandit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.