Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I used the freezespray method to remove the mylar. Lifted no art so was pleased there however the glue is damn near impossible to clean up. I have tried the flour method. Covered an area with flour, sprayed with 91% rubbing alcohol, let sit a few minutes, added more flower and started to rub. I am making a gray paste that may be taking the glue up but I have to rub an area the size of a quarter for 3 minutes. I have to be doing something wrong here. Does anyone have a good video on this? Or a different method?

Also the pf had the typical SBM wear BEFORE the mylar was put down so I have a few spots wore to the wood in the center. Pulled the mylar as they put it on dirty and there was dirt trapped between it and the field and it was bubbling horribly.

#2 7 years ago

Goo Gone. Spray on and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and wipe up.

#3 7 years ago

It did goo gone for a minute then sprinkle flour on the goo gone.... You still gotta rub it off but it lifts pretty easy... Way easier then you are describing....

#4 7 years ago

As above with goo gone, let it sit a bit, rub it with your thumb into little glue "boogers". Sore thumb, and it takes awhile, but it works.

When you think you got it all, hit the area with a quick coat of wax, and look at it from an angle. The wax won't stick to the glue, and the spots you missed will stick out like a sore thumb (pun intended).

#5 7 years ago

I actually used goo gone first and it was even worse. Maybe naphtha

#6 7 years ago

The Silverball Mania playfields are notorious for their horrible Mylar. I have two of them and I am facing the same issue as you do.

Yves

#7 7 years ago

Take your time. It will probably be a couple day process so you aren't rubbing your fingers raw.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Take your time. It will probably be a couple day process so you aren't rubbing your fingers raw.

One is already raw. Glad that I am not crazy and doing something wrong here. From what I read people make it sound like it will rub up in a sheet...

#9 7 years ago

Lol that's what I thought when I did my Whirlwind. An old credit card helps a bit, still a ton of work and slow going. I tried it all.... alcohol, flour, googone, goofoff, naptha.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

One is already raw. Glad that I am not crazy and doing something wrong here. From what I read people make it sound like it will rub up in a sheet...

No this is just how it goes I think for most people .... I have only done it once on a Space Station & had help from my girlfriend we were wearing rubber gloves after a short time because of raw fingers & it took a couple eves. after work spending time on it very rewarding once finally finished though

#11 7 years ago

plastic razor blades & magic erasers helps some too but you just have to take your time and do one area at a time also the comment about wax is dead on that's how I finished mine & kept finding glue in spots that I had missed

#12 7 years ago

I used a brillo pan, also found out what paint was going to come up.

#13 7 years ago

A brillo pad sounds harsh,but believe it or not i have used Brake Cleaner on a rag and it worked great.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

A brillo pad sounds harsh,but believe it or not i have used Brake Cleaner on a rag and it worked great.

I have heard that as well. Do not have any brake cleaner here at the house however.

#15 7 years ago

I just tested a spot with lighter fluid and an old credit card and the glue came right up. Took about 10 seconds to soften and 10 seconds to scrape it away.

#16 7 years ago

I used flour and naptha, then wipe up with a q-tip on my Harlem and it worked well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
$ 169.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-removing-mylar-glue-from-silverball-mania and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.