6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by P2K
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spooks pcb sound board (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider P2K.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I am replacing the caps on a solid state sound board from a 1969 EM Williams gun game.
    The board works OK but I would like to see if the sounds I hear are the original sounds or aged sounds due to old components.

The 1000 and 100 mf caps are alum. electrolytic axial and I have found Nichicon pieces at Mouser (smaller sizes).

I'm not sure what the smaller caps are called so I can search correctly. The old ones have a silver band on them (polarized?).

What I can read on them is:

.047 mf V161-395 Aerovox
    .05 mf 200Vdc V161-127 Aerovox
    .15 mf 200Vdc V161-398 Aerovox

What info would I search for on Mouser?

Thanks.
    Alan

Spooks pcb sound board (resized).jpgSpooks pcb sound board (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Are these capacitors polarized? Or what does the silver band mean on the old ones?

Thank you very much for your information and help!

Alan

#6 6 years ago

Thank you all for the concise explanations. I am now a bit more knowledgeable!

Alan

#8 6 years ago

To finish off topic for posterity; I picked up the caps at Mouser and replaced them on the board.

Although the actual sounds are the same they are now louder and seem more distinct.

So the total process of board removal, cleaning contacts, and replacing caps was definitely worth it as a whole.

Thank you again for the help.

Alan

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider P2K.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-rebuilding-a-1969-williams-solid-state-sound-board?tu=P2K and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.