View topic image gallery

image_(8).jpg
image_(2).jpg
image_(9).jpg
image_(5).jpg
image_(3).jpg
image.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

I am considering a Xenon. It's not working atm, apparently it lights up but doesn't start and the sound doesn't work. Says all the boards are present. Sent me some pics, playfield has wear but might try a restore? Price is $300, wondering if it's worth it? Thanks!

image.jpegimage.jpeg image_(3).jpgimage_(3).jpg image_(5).jpgimage_(5).jpg image_(9).jpgimage_(9).jpg image_(2).jpgimage_(2).jpg image_(8).jpgimage_(8).jpg

#2 10 years ago

As long as the inner backglass is in good shape it's totally worth it. The only thing that concerns me is the sound not working on that one-off sound board. I say go for it and hope the sound board is in good shape and the sound problem can be repaired.

#3 10 years ago

Sounds like a decent deal to me.
It could just be some fuses.
The parts alone are worth more than 300.

#4 10 years ago

Backglass looked like it's in nice shape and everything seems to be present. I'm just looking at that playfield and thinking... ouch, that's a tough touch up job.

#5 10 years ago

That playfield is unsavable by any mere mortal. A few guys here could probably do something with it, but it won't be worth it with all that damage.

$300 of parts .. possibly, if you want to sell things off one by one -- mainly backbox parts and a few unique things on the PF).

It probably will cost you about $50 to get it 'playable' and $100 to get it good enough; but nothing gets you past that PF wear, so it will remain a $300-$400 even after you work on it. If you're keeping it to play, that's probably fine; but there won't be a market if you want to flip.

#6 10 years ago

i talked to this guy this morning and passed after he decribed the playfield...thought maybe it was a gem for 300 but nope......

#7 10 years ago

Expect to spend at least $800 and closer to $1200 on a playfield.....plus 40 hours to swap. I've learned the hard way.

#8 10 years ago

Based on that picture, the game is in attract mode. So, you at least know the boards "mostly" work already. With Bally's from this era, getting them to boot consistently is the main challenge 80% of the time.

The displays and boards are worth 300 so you may be able to get 500 for it... if you part it out. But what's the fun in that? You do realize that it will never be worth much more than what you pay for it, even fully working and complete, in that sort of condition, correct? If the BG is really nice, I could see it being worth 200 alone to someone...

#9 10 years ago

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I guess the game does actually play and everything, just no sound. I don't plan to flip it or anything like that unless I end up hating the game. I like my games to be in very nice shape, so I'll probably do a pf swap and touch up whatever nicks are on the cab and keep it in my collection. Thanks for the input guys!

#10 10 years ago

I was wondering who got this. Nice Score!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I guess the game does actually play and everything, just no sound. I don't plan to flip it or anything like that unless I end up hating the game. I like my games to be in very nice shape, so I'll probably do a pf swap and touch up whatever nicks are on the cab and keep it in my collection. Thanks for the input guys!

Go to Big Daddy's and order up the sound board capacitor kit. It's usually the bank of diodes in the bottom corner that are toasted.

#12 10 years ago

Heh... this thread is deja-vu for me...
http://www.vidiotarcade.com/xenon.html

Can't go wrong for $300 imho. Congrats!

#13 10 years ago

Congrats on the Xenon. It was my second game, I also bought mine non-working but she had good bones. I ended up restoring her and selling to a collector in CA. Mine had a dirty outhole kicker switch that caused the game not to start. If you didn't know it, Xe is a 2 ball multi-ball game. 2 balls must be in the trough in order for a game to start. Game WILL NOT start with only 1 ball. The first ball will kick over the ball release and wait by the shooter lane while the other ball will hang out in the trough, the area in the center between the flippers. If the game is running like it should, when you hit the start button, the ball by the shooter lane should kick into the shooter lane. Immediately after that, the other should kick over to ball release area. This cycle will repeat. So when you lock a ball in the side saucer, the second ball is ready to be released into the shooter lane.

For the sound board you can try adjusting the speech and sound volume pots, these are troublesome and sometimes a few turns will get the sound going. You can keep pushing the red test button while doing this. If still no sound, double check the coin door volume to rule out the possibilty of a bad volume pot there. Double check the coin door connector as well since the volume goes thru that connection as well. These Sounds Plus and Vocalizer boards seldom come up for sale and if they do, they are expensive. They were only used in Xenon and the early part of the Flash Gordon run. Sending them out for repair might be your best bet. I suggest Coin OP Culdron or Borygard. Keep me updated and look at these, t might give you some inspiration..
http://southjerseypinball.com/gallery/v/lovef2k/

Rich

#14 10 years ago

Thought I'd share my experience picking this up...

After a 1 1/2 hour drive, I got to their house at around 10pm. Man, these people were really cool! Roberto is the guy taking care of selling off his mother-in-laws stuff before she moves. He's from New York and drove with his wife just to help the in-law! He was into collecting synthesizers so he knew what it was like to be addicted to a hobbie like all of us are.

His mother-in-law is one of those ladies that just cares about everything and wants the best for everyone, you just want to hug her all day. Her Husband bought the pin for their kids back in the day and her (and her daughter that was there), were thrilled that I planned on keeping the game and restoring the machine. I left there with a smile on my face, not because of the pin, but because of these awesome people!

Got home around midnight, unloaded it by myself (GF was dead asleep) set it up and assessed it more. The Backglass is 100% perfect, not a single defect, really beautiful. The cab was in average shape and will look great with a few touch ups. All the plastics/ramps are accounted for and in great shape. The PF will be a job my Girlfriend is going to attempt. She's an artist and does some amazing stuff so she's gonna give the restore a shot. If all else fails I'll get a new pf or overlay.

Funny enough, the game actually works! Everything is 100% functioning and all solenoids firing properly! Very pleasant surprise. There is no sound, but I noticed the plug for J2 was disconnected, I reconnected it and still nothing but I hear the cab speakers hum. All the boards look great but I'll probably have to do some fidgiting to the sound board to get it going (tried to adjust the pots and it makes weird noises but no game sound).

I love the game from my initial play which was also very surprising to me as it had no sound and I didn't know exactly what I was doing, but the ramp shot and multi-ball are a blast! Man, that backglass just sucks you in like the hypno-toad... could stare at it forever and I'd do whatever it asks of me.

Just thought I'd put an end to the story! Thanks for everyone's input!

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Congrats on the Xenon....

Thanks for the advise Rich!

#15 10 years ago

Congrats on the deal. I chased the sound issues on mine for a month before pulling the trigger on a new sound board. Turned out that was all it needed.

They're a fun machine to work on.

#16 10 years ago

Good call $300 dont matter how nice the PF is or not go get it would have been my advice. The PF is restorable no fun it would be though but even @$1000 for new PF its still within value.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Good call $300 dont matter how nice the PF is or not go get it would have been my advice. The PF is restorable no fun it would be though but even @$1000 for new PF its still within value.

If you can find one, is the problem. I looked for nearly a year for a Xenon PF and begged CPR to do another run to no avail. Finally settled on an overlay, got the game working and passed it along to another pinsider with more artistic talent than me. Fun and beautiful game, but barring a miracle, you'll be stuck with that PF or an overlay.

#18 10 years ago

Does someone need a playfield?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

If you can find one, is the problem. I looked for nearly a year for a Xenon PF and begged CPR to do another run to no avail. Finally settled on an overlay, got the game working and passed it along to another pinsider with more artistic talent than me. Fun and beautiful game, but barring a miracle, you'll be stuck with that PF or an overlay.

I'm thinking of printing a nice overlay for it if my GF can't touch it up. I'll see if maybe a PF shows up at the Chicago Expo.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Does someone need a playfield?

Do you have one available?

#20 10 years ago

Try re-seating the connectors on the sound board and checking for any cold/broken solder joints on header pins. On those games, there were often issues with connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-project-deal-xenon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.