(Topic ID: 139247)

Help with potentiometer markings

By smailskid

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I am trying to replace a pot on a mig welder. The markings on it are 2k2 647M. I figure the 2k2=2,200Ohm. Any input on what 647 means?

Thanks for any help

#2 8 years ago

a picture would help

#3 8 years ago

Ask and you shall receive

First photo is "2k2 647M"

The stamped marking is "PIHER"

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Appears to be a Piher PC-16 potentiometer. Hard to determine the 647M without their secret decoder ring.
    Not many Piher distributors in US so may be a difficult one to replace with exact version. You can find a few sizes at Mouser but not proper sizes or pin types.

#5 8 years ago

Contact piher and ask. It's probably a product number but I don't see it on their site.

#6 8 years ago

Ed- are you saying I am shit out of luck?

Should I try and track down a distributor to help? Is there a pot at mouser that I could make work even if not the right package?

Thanks for the help

#7 8 years ago

Thanks Law i will do that

#8 8 years ago

They might not be helpful, but it never hurts to ask.

#9 8 years ago

Well I sent them an email last night. We'll see if they respond.

#10 8 years ago

It has been rough going. No distributers seem to have it in stock. Piher says they will sample but have a $75 tooling fee. Don't want to do that.

Any advice on substitutions that might be acceptable? Yes I am a noob.

This is for the wire feedl speed control pot on a mig welder.

Thanks for any help.

#11 8 years ago

Seriously - why is this a problem? Just get ANY 2K2 pot and stick it in. It will work electronically and you just need to sort it out mechanically so it fits. If it needs to be isolated then buy a plastic knob. If it needs wires run then run them, 3 wires, big deal.

If you can't do this the ask the help of ANY electronics hobbyist.

This isn't rocket science, just a pot for goodness sake!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_4_me:

Seriously - why is this a problem? Just get ANY 2K2 pot and stick it in. It will work electronically and you just need to sort it out mechanically so it fits. If it needs to be isolated then buy a plastic knob. If it needs wires run then run them, 3 wires, big deal.
    If you can't do this the ask the help of ANY electronics hobbyist.
    This isn't rocket science, just a pot for goodness sake!

Awesome! Thanks for the harsh and helpful post! Like I said I am new to this so you will have to sometimes forgive the basic nature of some of my questions.

I understand that "any" 2k2 pot would work, what I did/do not know is if there is a wattage rating that must be satisfied similar to a resistor.... I did not know if that was part of the 647M "code" which appear to be Pihers own in house markings.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_4_me:

That's not exactly helpful. I agree in general, but when it comes to things that can cause serious bodily harm and property damage when malfunctioning (say, a welder), the "any old part" isn't a great approach. If Piher or one of the distributors can give you specifications on the part and you can find an equivalent then yeah, that'd work.

If it's causing you a lot of trouble, smailskid, you might want to find an electronics repair place in your area and get quotes on fixing it with a warranty. Fifty bucks isn't worth a mig feed through your glove.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

That's not exactly helpful. I agree in general, but when it comes to things that can cause serious bodily harm and property damage when malfunctioning (say, a welder), the "any old part" isn't a great approach. If Piher or one of the distributors can give you specifications on the part and you can find an equivalent then yeah, that'd work.
    If it's causing you a lot of trouble, smailskid, you might want to find an electronics repair place in your area and get quotes on fixing it with a warranty. Fifty bucks isn't worth a mig feed through your glove.

It is not giving me trouble as with concerned with the mechanical hookup of it. Solder/desolder, running wires etc., drilling holes to remount etc. is no problem. I was just unsure if all I had to match was the Ohm rating to make it work.

#15 8 years ago

As Ed already said, it is a Piher PC-16-series poti.

Fighting with the Piher data sheet, your poti should have the part-number PC16 SV 10 I P06 222A 2020 MTA.

Here is the data-sheet:

http://www.piher-nacesa.com/pdf/20-PC16v03.pdf

Very hard to find the "V"-Type.

So every easily available poti with the values 2K2 and >=0,2W should work.

If you can hook it up mechanical somehow and work with running wires, that should be OK.

If it were mine, I would buy this poti - the same as yours, BUT the "H"-Type and not the "V"-Type.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/445389/Dreh-Potentiometer-Mono-02-W-22-k-Piher-PC16SH-10IP06222A2020MTA-1-St/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=1

Very low priced here in germany.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks for the post GermanPin. Very helpful. I went through the data sheet and saw how you got the part number. I will get this pot and get the welder going. Thanks again to all

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

Thanks for the post GermanPin. Very helpful. I went through the data sheet and saw how you got the part number. I will get this pot and get the welder going. Thanks again to all

Ha - it is a pain, going through this data sheet, isn´t it?? Disgusting!!! You must go to university 10 years before you can unterstand it

Hope, you get the welder running soon ....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-potentiometer-markings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.