(Topic ID: 69699)

Help with Portable heater to keep garage warm during winter?

By Geocab

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ChadTower
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-544.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-549.jpg
    image-784.jpg
    27426_2000x2000.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hi guys,

Since winter is quickly approaching and my pins are in my garage, I'd like to keep the garage warm enough so that my pins are not negatively affected by the cold. The garage is attached and somewhat insulated so that helps.

I was wondering if I could get a ceramic heater or something similar to keep in there. I'd like something with a thermostat that I can just leave on so the garage never drops below a certain temp, like 60, or so. I have never had a portable heater so I'm not sure if you can keep them on all of the time. I know the thermostat should keep it from running constantly, but can I leave the unit unattended for hours/days at a time?

Any particular models you can suggest? I don't know the square footage offhand but it's a single garage, not that big.

This is one I looked at today: http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1336/product/17038557/questions.htm

Thanks for any help.

#2 7 years ago

They make heaters specifically for the garage which mount to the ceiling and are safe. Not that this isn't, I can't get the link to work.

#3 7 years ago

The link is a Lasko 5848. The link works on my phone, but I haven't tried my laptop, maybe it's a mobile thing?

#4 7 years ago

Do you heat your house with gas? If so, you can just tap into one of the lines running through the basement.

#5 7 years ago

Electric heat is crazy expensive.

What you want is a natural gas shop heater of some type.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577839_200577839

The electrical savings will probably pay for this unit in a year, lol.

27426_2000x2000.jpg

#6 7 years ago

The problem with those natural gas type heaters is that not everyone has natural gas (no pun intended) in their home.

Check out this thread, a lot of the same stuff applies.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/garage-gameroom-ideas-for-cold-climates

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Berserk:

The problem with those natural gas type heaters is that not everyone has natural gas (no pun intended) in their home.

Yep, I once had a cabin that only had "home heating oil" which is another name for diesel.

Cleavland OH has several natural gas suppliers.

#8 7 years ago

Those ceramic heaters suck. You need an infrared heater. I have one in one of my game rooms and it heats the entire room nicely. The game room I have it in is 800sqf. Something like this, but there are nicer ones.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wildon-Home-Dynamic-Infrared-6-Quartz-Element-Heater/21933360

#9 7 years ago

I went with NG unit similar to Vid's pic this year keep it set at 15C, garage is on front of house it runs 2-3 times a day at most. Keeps it very comfortable, plus its super quiet. It's a double garage and the unit is a 45000 BTU Modine 'Hot Dawg'. Did it for about 1G installed. With 8 of my pins in the garage it also means I can play them year round.

#10 7 years ago

Here's my natural gas setup:

Beacon Morris BRU heater.

image-784.jpg

Dual thermostat with timer. Base/constant on the left, timed on the right. Timer lower left. Disregard the on off switch in the center; that's to turn my vids on.

image-549.jpg

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Here's my natural gas setup:
    Beacon Morris BRU heater.

If the heater is on a thermostat, why did you install a timer?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

If the heater is on a thermostat, why did you install a timer?

The timer is for the higher "working" temp. I don't want my garage to get colder than 60, so the base temp is 60. However when I'm working in there I want it 68-70, but not have to worry about forgetting to lower it when I'm done ... Hence the timer. If I know I'll be in there all day I set the base temp (thermostat on the left) to 68.

I often work for short periods of time in the garage. Turning the thermostat up and down is a PIA ... This setup works like a charm.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

While the bigger ceiling units suggested would be nice and I do have natural gas, I cannot afford to buy and install one of these this year. I would if I could.

Since I'm looking at a portable unit this year, are they safe enough to leave on with a thermostat all day, all winter? As I said, the garage is attached and a single car so not that big. And thankfully, insulated.

#14 7 years ago

Those portable heaters are usually rated for "supplemental" heating, so in an unheated garage they will probably never cycle off in cold Cleveland.

@.15 cents a kwh (average for OH residents), a 1500w electric heater could easily burn $100-150 a month in electricity.

That is why people who try to heat their garages for painting with space heaters quickly switch to NG, it pays for itself VERY quickly.

People who heat their homes with electricity get a second meter that is billed at a lower rate, and still it often runs $800 a month.

#15 7 years ago

Any heater will require proper venting. Even a "ventless" system needs you to provide a fresh air vent. I had a simple wall mounted ventless system in my old house and it worked quite well. They are less expensive, and easy to install. Just check the manufacturer's installation guide on the requirements.

I also have a nice combo propane/natural gas portable heater (~$100). It's fan-driven and works great ... Though it can't support a thermostat as there's no pilot or electronic igniter. Even if I could it would need a vent.

#16 7 years ago

Or you could just store the backglasses inside the house for the winter. The cold won't affect any other parts of the game.

#17 7 years ago

Here is a cheap idea that works. Get a plug in bulb socket from a big box store. Install a low wattage bulb & plug it into service outlet inside the pin. The small amount of heat should keep the inside air dry in the cabinet & head.

We have cold & damp weather here in Eastern Canada. This has worked for years in a unheated unattached garage with Bally pins 1979-1981. That is what I suggest to people storing pins in their garage. Set them up on legs & do this.

If you want to heat & play you could use a electric heater on demand only.

#18 7 years ago

I have a portable combo A/C & heat pump installed in our basement and it runs year round. Electric bills fluctuate maybe $20 a month depending on how warm/cool it is outside.

If you go this route, make sure you get the kind that has two vent ducts going to the outside, one for air in... and one for air out. The single vent duct models basically take the air you've either cooled or warmed and send it right outside.

#19 7 years ago

get a LP tank, ventless wall heater

#20 7 years ago

I used to use just a $60 construction heater. But it is not the safest to use unattended. image.jpg

I had an electrician put in a safer version for $500image-544.jpg

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Doozie:

I used to used just a $60 construction heater.
    I had an electrician put in a safer version for &500

image.jpg 2 MB

image-544.jpg 1 MB

i recommend that as well, there a couple hundred bucks at most, you want to spend a little $ to know your getting something that wont burfn your house down

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

The cold won't affect any other parts of the game.

Cold planks the playfieds.

#23 7 years ago

Anyone know a reasonable temperature variation for garage pins? I currently run 55-60 degrees when I'm not in there ... 70-72 when I am. I'm concerned bout the fluctuation along with humidity changes.

Thanks

Brian

#24 7 years ago

Install a mini split.........I bought a Mirage, works like a charm, heater is on now, A/C was on a few days ago, great for garages and fairly easy to install.........

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

get a LP tank, ventless wall heater

Propane expels an inordinate amount of moisture into the heated air.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cold planks the playfieds.

Repeated heating/cooling might plank the playfield. Just being cold shouldn't change anything. The culprit is mostly expanding/contracting the materials frequently.

Now, if it's cold AND wet in there, he'll have issues right away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 27.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    $ 11.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    £ 34.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    € 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside