• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fanta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys,

I recently acquire a Phantom of the opera and I was able to resolve a few small issues here and there but now I'm having an issue with the multiball part of the game.... After opening the organ and shooting the ball into it the game is supposed to lock the ball.... and release it after the second ball is shot up the shooter lane, instead the game is just kicking the ball out as soon as the organ closes.

I already checked the following switches for functionality: the organ cave, top super vuk, left vuk #1, left vuk #2 as well as the through switches.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

#2 9 years ago

Anyone?

#3 9 years ago

so let me see if i understand what you are saying. when the organ opens and the ball goes in the organ it is kicking it back out immediately.

Have you checked the switch for the vuk? i think there is a switch above the VUK and there is one where the cup touches when the ball is there.

maybe post a video would help

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the Reply....

Here is a Video of the problem

As you can see the ball that went into the organ is being kick out instead of being locked. Both of the VUK switches are working as you can see the organ closes and the ready for two ball play message comes up. One thing I noticed was that both coils for the middle vuk and the upper left vuk were missing diodes, so I when ahead and add it the diodes but I still had the issue. Next I checked the driver transistor for both and found that they were dead. I ordered them yesterday so will see what happens.

Even with the bad transistor the coils still fire, is this normal?
I thought they would just stop working completely

#5 9 years ago

My first plan of attack would throw it in self test. 1)the solenoids, 2)the switch test.

Question for you, was there always a ball in that trough or did that fire went in went into the left vuk?

#6 9 years ago

yes do a switch test. do you have the manual? pending if that switch registers you might want to test / clean that switch, see if there is a wire that has come lose. if there are a lot of switches that are down i would recommend taking a look at the switch matrix to see what they all have in common.

#7 9 years ago

also check your switches in the ball area. that usually happens like that when you have multiball and loose a ball and make the organ shot before it closes. there are i think 4 switches down there. if they are not set properly you will get weird stuff like that or double ball ejects of ball never registers when it is returned.

#8 9 years ago

To answer your question schusler the ball in the through came out after the first ball went into the organ. I checked all the through switches and the switches from under the organ and the one under and above the vuk. I went into the solenoid test and noticed that left and middle vuk where sticking and emitting a burning smell. I found transistors Q44, Q3, Q4 are bad. Those are the ones associated with the left, middle and right vuks. Waiting on the arrival of the new transistors now.

#9 9 years ago

Problem is solved!!

After replacing the bad transistors for both vuk the ball it's locking again..

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-phantom-of-the-opera-ball-doesnt-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.