(Topic ID: 184674)

Help with no lights on a Cyclone rebuild.

By harryhoudini

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-38 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I rebuilt the cyclone with as much new as I could or needed to, playfield, coils, plastics, wiring, etc. This was my first real pin project aside from small repairs. While I did it all side by side I have, what I think, is one small issue. The right side of the playfield doesn't light up. I have the playfield out, upside down on my support bench now. I toned out the connections to the playfield side plug (yellow and purples, seem like half the playfield each, four pin) and so I'm getting connectivity. I suppose I need to confirm that there is power coming from the cabinet side of things but I'm just too unsure and not wanting to screw anything up.

All of the lamp to lamp wiring has been redone and I color coded it quite a bit (used solid copper, it's what I had, thermostat wire, don't hate!) so I can pretty easily trace it. With the copper i can put bends in it too so it's really clean. I just don't know what I should be checking. If I turn on the machine without the playfield can I check for DC voltage at the pins of the connector? If so which pins am I looking for? I think it is a four pin connector (purple and yellow wires) that handles the playfield lighting, no? So I can find that on the cabinet side but not sure which pins to check for what. Not an electrical genius but I assume one side of each lamp is + and one is - so I assume the four pin connector is +/- for each 1/2 of the playfield.

I assume lighting is VERY basic so if I am getting tone/connectivity then I imagine that as long as the bulbs are good and the power is being supplied I should have lights. I am going to look at all the fuses in the cabinet to see if I can see anything. As far as I know all other items work (although I didn't look up yet how to do a test on this guy, nothing in the menus seemed to indicate it). At least when it powers on most of it works visually, flippers, game sounds, game play. Just, as far as I can tell, the lights.

Waiting on some new ramps and this issue and I'll be ready to play!

Thanks for any insight!

#5 7 years ago

Peak-Pin Thanks! I was actually down that path (my limited knowledge got me that far) and I do have power to the playfield. The fuse for one side (yellow/whiteyellow) is blowing each time. I put more detail in my reddit post, but the gist is that I can't find out what is blowing it. I traced the entire circuit (comparing side by side with the old playfield which still has the dashed lines and wires stapled to it) and it all looks exactly the same. I can only think that maybe a light socket is shorting? What else could it be aside from wires touching or incorrect wiring?

#6 7 years ago

snyper2099 Thanks. Looks like power is ok. My connectors are actually in decent condition so it comes down to something shorting it.

#8 7 years ago

Ok, this helps a TON!

Ordering some breakers now. And some lamp holders

So it is entirely plausible that it is a lamp holder. And if I have continuity (which I bet I do) with the bulbs out then likely it is a holder that is shorting. So to narrow it down I put a bulb in one holder and connect a 9v to the circuit and moving the bulb around, the brighter it is the closer I am.

Thanks!

#11 7 years ago

Awesome, thanks @snyper2099. Order for bulb bases and circuit breakers done. I am sure it is solder/base arms touching. When I did the swap about 4 years ago (I know...it's been sitting, staring at me) I was using a crappy soldering iron and never really did much soldering before. So a lot of the work is shoddy. I cleaned it all up last night and found a few questionable areas where (like I mentioned) a staple hit a socket or solder was around so I am sure that is likely the case. Can't wait to get this up and running.. ramps just arrived!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-no-lights-on-a-cyclone-rebuild?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.