Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TJMc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I just purchased my 1st pin, a 1987 Gottlieb Monte Carlo. After a 4 player game, it doesn’t allow a second 4 player game even when the machine is restarted. It seems to need to “rest” and then will allow normal play. Any suggestions on what a novice can do to troubleshoot/repair before I call in a pro?

#2 2 years ago

My guess would be heat related issue either connectors or components on the MPU.

Have you looked at the board for any battery leakage? The original board probably had a single battery soldered in place.

Ground mods been done?

Pinwiki has some great info: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Welcome to Pinside!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TJMc:

I just purchased my 1st pin, a 1987 Gottlieb Monte Carlo. After a 4 player game, it doesn’t allow a second 4 player game even when the machine is restarted. It seems to need to “rest” and then will allow normal play. Any suggestions on what a novice can do to troubleshoot/repair before I call in a pro?

I would rename this topic so it doesn’t look like an often repeated topic that people dislike here. Title it something related to “newbie issues with Gottlieb Monte Carlo” or “Monte Carlo 4 player game issue”

Reseat the connectors would be a great start. Commonly gives lots of random, weird issues on these games. Do them one at a time

#4 2 years ago

Definitely do the suggested ground mods. Many places online will cover this in detail. Could be that awful daughter board they used for the ROM. If you have cracked solder joints on that, many many flaky issues can pop up. Those are a pain to fix unless you have experience.
There used to be a board called a Piggy Duex that replaced that terrible set up. Reasonable price as well.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks to all for the guidance. I will look into your suggestions as soon as I find some time and then update on how it worked out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-my-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.