Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Animal
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

201471952711_article-new-thumbnail-ehow-images-a01-v7-ci-see-proctologist-800x800 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So this is a two part question.

First, what do people think about Metallica Pro vs. Premium. I've seen a bunch of threads, but most of them were from 2013 when the games were first released. In there, I saw a lot of complaints about the hammer not functioning properly, but I've seen a few people say that it works fine now. Anything I should be concerned about, mechanically, about buying the MET premium? I'm still torn between the two, and the price for the Premium is quite a bit higher, but I like the idea of the features, even if I've never tried it myself. (I'm going to try to get out to Mortimer's in Minneapolis to play their MET LE before I make a decision).

The second is around delivery of the game. I chatted with Melissa at Cointaker and she said they can offer "white glove" delivery, but has anyone taken advantage of that and will they really know how to set the machine up, or will they just bring it to the basement for me? I only have one pin, and it was shipped with the legs on so I have no experience setting up a NIB and honestly, it's a little intimidating, so if I can spend a few bucks to streamline that process, I'm all for it. However I also read a horror story about someone's TBL pin, so...

Just want to hear some people's opinions on these two topics. Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

I've only played one Prem but a million Pros, so I think the market has suggested that the Pro is a great bang for the buck.

As for "White Glove" service, it all depends on how much it costs. For $100, sure get that thing set up in my basement and save me the backache. But in all reality, it's not hard at all with two people, and there's a video on Youtube of a guy doing a FH all by himself and I've done much heavier (BF) as a result on my own.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ask her who is doing the white glove delivery and set up. Then post the name here and find out if they are good or bad.

Quoted from Fezmid:

it's a little intimidating,

8 bolts. Then you'll have the legs on and be where you were with your first pin.

Get a friend to help.

Depending what white glove delivery costs, you may want to do it yourself.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

First, congrats on your purchase. I have Metallica pro, and love it. There are several mods you can do including the creeping death side blades and lightning rods to make it totally electric. I played the premium in Pittsburgh and I liked it, but it wasn't worth the cost difference to me. Pro is one of the best value Stern's ever with Metallica.

As far as set up, if you're perfectly capable of moving the machine, I would set it up myself with the help of a friend. There are plenty of unboxing videos on YouTube and unboxing is half the fun of getting a nib. Great game, and either one will rock.

#5 1 year ago

I own a premium so I naturally have a bias in that direction but if I had a pro I think I would love it just as much. Also it was my first pin and I had no experience in setting up a game yet managed to do it all by myself with the help of YouTube. Dialing it in yourself is absolutely half the fun of a new game.

#6 1 year ago

What LTG said. Here is an example of white glove delivery service gone wrong:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-delivery-fiasco-and-first-impressions#post-3300637

#7 1 year ago

I have the PRO but have played the Premium. You can't lose with either one. Both play well. The Premium has a few more bells and whistles, of course. Met Pro was my first NIB and I managed OK with just my neighbor to help. Coin Taker is a great company to deal with to purchase a pin, though I've never used White Glove.

I have my pins delivered to my driveway, and tote them with a hand truck I got from Home Depot. Once you strap the box to the hand truck it's not that tough to maneuver. If you have a second person then it's not that difficult to negotiate going up or down stairs with the hand truck. It's generally a two person job and I enlist a neighbor to help (with the promise of free pinball!). Or, basically what Konghusker said.

Also, some drivers will help move it in the house if you offer them a few bucks extra, even if you have the basic delivery.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

First, what do people think about Metallica Pro vs. Premium. I've seen a bunch of threads, but most of them were from 2013 when the games were first released. In there, I saw a lot of complaints about the hammer not functioning properly, but I've seen a few people say that it works fine now. Anything I should be concerned about, mechanically, about buying the MET premium? I'm still torn between the two, and the price for the Premium is quite a bit higher, but I like the idea of the features, even if I've never tried it myself. (I'm going to try to get out to Mortimer's in Minneapolis to play their MET LE before I make a decision).
The second is around delivery of the game. I chatted with Melissa at Cointaker and she said they can offer "white glove" delivery, but has anyone taken advantage of that and will they really know how to set the machine up, or will they just bring it to the basement for me? I only have one pin, and it was shipped with the legs on so I have no experience setting up a NIB and honestly, it's a little intimidating, so if I can spend a few bucks to streamline that process, I'm all for it. However I also read a horror story about someone's TBL pin, so...

Here is my take. I owned the Met Prem and had NOTHING but issues with the game from day one. The main issue was the coffin; balls would always get stuck inside. Everything was replaced (boards, troff, entire magnet assemble, washers and the balls and they still got stuck!!! I also had issues with the snake jaw. They game is a lot of fun one of the best and fastest I have played. That being said I am ordering a Met Pro which should be ready Mid October. The only thing I am going to miss is the color changing LED show which is not included on the Pro. Mine may have been a lemon with all the issues (many others not listed) but I have played other peoples Met perm which had the same issue with the coffin. I say go with a new Pro.

#9 1 year ago

What is this white glove delivery you speak Of?

201471952711_article-new-thumbnail-ehow-images-a01-v7-ci-see-proctologist-800x800 (resized).jpg

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Metallica is a game where you really can't go wrong with the Pro.. but of course the Premium is great too. You just have to decide if the extra $$ for a game is within your pain threshold - if it is, go for the Premium. I have a decently mod'd pro, and a close friend has a LE. I don't miss the LE features when playing my Pro, but I do like playing his LE. I think either is great. Get a colorDMD and the lightning rails. Really add to this game.

For setup, I think LTG already linked a video where someone goes through the unboxing experience. It's very easy. The hardest part is simply getting the game inside. Cointaker should be able to communicate clearly what their delievery includes... if only curb, inside, or what. That is something that first time buyers may be surprised by.

Depending on your entrance, you can get the delivery guy to help, but be aware it's almost at your own risk there. In my case, last time I paid the guy an extra $40 and he walked the game around my yard, and down by walk-out steps into the basement.

You will also hear about people saying to inspect the game before signing for it. My advice on that is go on what you see in the box. If it has holes, major dings, etc... certainly cut open the box and inspect before signing off. If the box and pallet look virgin... you should be good (not garunteed, but is a worthy balance IMO). White glove may be worth it only if for that piece of mind about shipping damage if you are really concerned.

Setting up the game is really a two person job as you need to hold the game up while attaching the rear legs.

Reasons for white glove:
- you don't have an appliance dolly yourself
- you don't have readily available second hand for lifting
- you don't have a plan/means to get the game into your basement yourself
- some piece of mind over detecting shipping damage

Reasons not for:
- save some $$
- someone who doesn't know what they are doing would foul it up (for this tho, Cointaker should back their delivery so I don't think its a real concern)
- you have the necessary moving tools already (or are looking to buy them anyways)

Unboxing your first NIB is a great experience for most buyers - don't sweat it. The excitement is noteworthy. Once the game is inside, really all you need is box cutters, 5/8th wrench/ratchet, 2 dudes, and some rags to clean the balls and wipe off any dust.

#11 1 year ago

I have the pro very happy with it. I'm a pro buyer though. met is a great pin.

#12 1 year ago

Pro and put the difference towards another machine.

There has got to be a good pinhead or two in your area that will help / teach you how to setup game for some beer and pizza.

#13 1 year ago

Yeah, that was the thread I was referring to when I said I read about it going all wrong. D'oh...

I guess I don't need white glove delivery as much as I just want them to carry the box down into the basement. I don't want to be responsible for dropping it down the stairs and I don't want to have to make a trip to the hospital if I throw out my back! I'll chat with Melissa about the options more when I'm ready to order.

Quoted from newpinbin:

Here is my take. I owned the Met Prem and had NOTHING but issues with the game from day one. The main issue was the coffin; balls would always get stuck inside.

This is my main concern in going with the premium -- I've seen anecdotal evidence that the snake and the hammer can have issues. It seems like it's gotten better since the original release but I'm still a little hesitant. That said, I love the idea of the hammer, and the multicolor GI lights as well as the integrated spinner also seem cool. The extra cost doesn't really bother me too much, but headaches down the line would.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Yeah, that was the thread I was referring to when I said I read about it going all wrong. D'oh...
I guess I don't need white glove delivery as much as I just want them to carry the box down into the basement. I don't want to be responsible for dropping it down the stairs and I don't want to have to make a trip to the hospital if I throw out my back! I'll chat with Melissa about the options more when I'm ready to order.

This is my main concern in going with the premium -- I've seen anecdotal evidence that the snake and the hammer can have issues. It seems like it's gotten better since the original release but I'm still a little hesitant. That said, I love the idea of the hammer, and the multicolor GI lights as well as the integrated spinner also seem cool. The extra cost doesn't really bother me too much, but headaches down the line would.

If you have a hand truck and a buddy it's easy to safely move a pin down stairs.

#15 1 year ago

It's up stairs that's a pita.

Setup is easy, moving may be the only issue without help.

#16 1 year ago

For the money pro. I don't like how the hammer is so large and blocks some of the view of sparky.

#17 1 year ago

I bought a met prem. A couple years ago. First time I dealt with chris and melissa and have to say they are great to deal with. I picked up my machine but had asked her about white glove Del.
She told me either she and chris deliver and set up the machine and if it's not them it's musketd (a good friend of theirs)who is on pinside. This is not a moving or delivery company type delivery.
it might be worth it if you are new to pins as they can answer questions and tweak anything that needs adjusting. Most pinsiders wold say don't waste your money but to a new collector/owner it is probably worth it.
As far as pro vs prem. Obviously I am biased to prem. Sure the pro is great too but I justified the extra expense due to the fact that I have no intention of ever getting rid of it!!! Met and lord of the rings are sterns best machines(in my opinion) and Simpsons is also excellent.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

For the money pro. I don't like how the hammer is so large and blocks some of the view of sparky.

I'm 5-11" and don't get how people complain about the hammer. Not sure if it's related to a players height or just a personal opinion but it's Definitely a very cool feature.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

asked her about white glove Del.
She told me either she and chris deliver and set up the machine and if it's not them it's musketd (a good friend of theirs)who is on pinside.

First problem is the OP is half a country away. Which is why I suggested looking into who exactly would deliver and set up.

#20 1 year ago

Both great, so no worries.

As for "white glove", it depends on which type of pinhead you plan to be. If you want everything done for you, sure, go for it. However, if you are planning to stay in the hobby, get it delivered in a box, and get over the intimidation factor by setting it up yourself with a friend to help lift it. That way you get all the rush of the NIB experience. Plus you learn a bit for the next game. Anyone that is in this hobby had to setup their first machine at some point... so get on with it.

Oh, and at some point you will also nick or dent your first game too. Nobody wants that to happen, but it will at some point. Get over that one quick too.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

First problem is the OP is half a country away. Which is why I suggested looking into who exactly would deliver and set up.

Yeah, what he said...

I think when I talk to Melissa, I'll just say I want the box brought into the basement -- that'll save me some effort. I'll probably take the plunge and attempt to set it up myself. Like DaveH said, gotta do it sometime. I remember how intimidated I was just taking off the glass and lifting the playfield on my T2 earlier this year, and now I do it with ease - and others who watch me are nervous. So good advice, Dave, thanks.

#22 1 year ago

Just buy a Pro, stop overthinking it. Easy to setup. Not trying to sound insulting or anything but my 11 year old son basically setup my last pin. It's super easy, just put the legs on, raise the head and give everything quick look to make sure it all looks ok and fire it up. If you need it brought into a basement, that is another matter. It has been a major pain in the rear for me to get them into my basement, so I gave up and just have the 2 pins I own in a room on the main floor.

#23 1 year ago

ColorDMD LCD or LED for Met Pro LED model?

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

ColorDMD LCD or LED for Met Pro LED model?

They are both great. My preference is LCD because I like the smoothing options which look great on Met.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They are both great. My preference is LCD because I like the smoothing options which look great on Met.

This is the only part I'm convinced of: I prefer LED because it replicates the dots of the original better.

#26 1 year ago

LCD with DOTSXL is my favorite

#27 1 year ago

Ok, I thought I was convinced on the ColorDMD, but my wife saw the LCD and liked that better, so...

I went down to Mortimer's with my wife tonight and they do indeed still have the Metallica LE! That's the good news. The bad news is that it appears they have the hammer disabled... I made the shots, but the magnet never caught the ball and the hammer never struck down. Instead, the display just told me I locked the ball as the action continued. Then when I got multiball, it just started launching balls. Kinda disappointing. In addition, the cross never rose from the cemetery so not sure if that was just broken or somehow disabled as well. So I guess since I was disappointed by not having a real ball lock, maybe that says I should go premium, but still not 100% convinced yet.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ok, I thought I was convinced on the ColorDMD, but my wife saw the LCD and liked that better, so...
I went down to Mortimer's with my wife tonight and they do indeed still have the Metallica LE! That's the good news. The bad news is that it appears they have the hammer disabled... I made the shots, but the magnet never caught the ball and the hammer never struck down. Instead, the display just told me I locked the ball as the action continued. Then when I got multiball, it just started launching balls. Kinda disappointing. In addition, the cross never rose from the cemetery so not sure if that was just broken or somehow disabled as well. So I guess since I was disappointed by not having a real ball lock, maybe that says I should go premium, but still not 100% convinced yet.

Once you go color you'll never go back to the standard DMD....it really is night and day (better)....have you played the Met game with a color dmd? trust me its worth it....I have an LE and had nothing but problems with the hammer

#29 1 year ago

Get the Premium if you can afford it. Met is one of the best pins ever, so you might as well pop for the full experience. With that said, Metallica Pro is not what we refer to as a "stripped down" Pro. It's one of the best Pros out there and is a great value. Can't go wrong either way.

p.s. I bought my Premium in July and the hammer has been rock solid. I formerly owned the Pro, which I loved, but the Premium is better and I'm glad I upgraded.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Once you go color you'll never go back to the standard DMD....it really is night and day (better)....have you played the Met game with a color dmd? trust me its worth it....I have an LE and had nothing but problems with the hammer

Yeah I love color - bought the LED for my T2 when it was released. I thought I liked the LED better but the one we played tonight had the LCD (no dots) and my wife liked that look more.

Seems 50/50 whether people have issues with the hammer or not.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Yeah I love color - bought the LED for my T2 when it was released. I thought I liked the LED better but the one we played tonight had the LCD (no dots) and my wife liked that look more.
Seems 50/50 whether people have issues with the hammer or not.

I had both side by side for 6 months...they are both really fun pins, and u really can't go wrong with either. After about a 200 plays on each I ended up keeping the Pro.....the premium is great and isn't that much more so it really just comes down to personal preference....I just liked the flow on the Pro a little better. If your looking for used then I would just buy the first one that comes available in your area.....

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Mine was a NIB after early 2016 so I don't think anything changed.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Get the Premium if you can afford it. Met is one of the best pins ever, so you might as well pop for the full experience. With that said, Metallica Pro is not what we refer to as a "stripped down" Pro. It's one of the best Pros out there and is a great value. Can't go wrong either way.
p.s. I bought my Premium in July and the hammer has been rock solid. I formerly owned the Pro, which I loved, but the Premium is better and I'm glad I upgraded.

Has anyone else bought a prem in the last six months? How has the quality been? How is the hammer mod holding up?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Redding, CA
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 15.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deerfield, IL
$ 150.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside