(Topic ID: 282530)

Help With Mac Malware

By iamabearsfan

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Okay, I thought Mac's were pretty safe from Malware. My computer wasn't. Anyway I got bit pretty hard and I still think there are remnants out there of this malware even tough I have spent hours trying to get it all cleaned up.

What program can/should I get to keep this from happening again?

Open to suggestions. Also, the latest problem is I cannot for the life of me get Chrome to search in the address bar anymore. This is one of the things that makes me believe I may still have a virus/malware.

Thanks for any advice!

Dave

#2 3 years ago

I’d recommend trying Bitdefender. It’s the program I use for my Mac, and it’s protected me for years.

#3 3 years ago

You mind me asking how you think you got the malware? What led you to believe you had malware? I've got a Mac and never had any problems.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

You mind me asking how you think you got the malware? What led you to believe you had malware? I've got a Mac and never had any problems.

I have been using a mac for four years now and never have had an issue either. Here is a YouTube with a vid of the malware...

Bottom line is it is a PITA to get rid of. I got it by going to a Comed site. That site asked me to update Adobe...but it wasn't really Adobe. I knew I had an issue when Chrome looked all wrong. Also that my search engine had changed. Plus policies were thrown on my Chrome browser that were never there. Lastly there were new accounts on my Mac.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

I’d recommend trying Bitdefender. It’s the program I use for my Mac, and it’s protected me for years.

Just downloaded Bitdefender. Hoping it can clean this crap up.

#6 3 years ago

The most common form of malware on the Mac platform is a Trojan horse (a program that purports to be one thing, but in fact includes a payload of adware/malware). Fake Adobe Flash updates are the most common vector of attack for these.

I’d typically advise installing Malwarebytes to scan after the fact. Manually review your browser extensions after the scan/quarantine. If you don’t recognize it as something that you intentionally installed, get rid of it.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

The most common form of malware on the Mac platform is a Trojan horse (a program that purports to be one thing, but in fact includes a payload of adware/malware). Fake Adobe Flash updates are the most common vector of attack for these.
    I’d typically advise installing Malwarebytes to scan after the fact. Manually review your browser extensions after the scan/quarantine. If you don’t recognize it as something that you intentionally installed, get rid of it.

So I installed Malware Bytes and BitDefender. Neither program is picking anything up at this point. My current problem though is that when I type something into the address bar on Chrome, it does nothing. For example if I type "This is a test" prior to this event, it would take me to Google searching for those words. Today I hit enter and nothing. Makes me believe I have not fully recovered from whatever hit me.

Btw, it was an Adobe msg that I got snagged on.

I did confirm the only extension I have are friendly ones. Other than that, not sure how to get to the normal Chrome I used to have. I know the search in the address bar sounds trivial, but it is my normal flow and I don't want to assume all is okay either.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

My current problem though is that when I type something into the address bar on Chrome, it does nothing. For example if I type "This is a test" prior to this event, it would take me to Google searching for those words. Today I hit enter and nothing. Makes me believe I have not fully recovered from whatever hit me.

Go into your browser settings and make sure there is actually a browser engine selected. It might be blank after the malware removal.

#9 3 years ago

install Firefox

Screw Chrome and their spyware/adware

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

#10 3 years ago

If you have a real problem only way to "be sure" you get rid of it is to back everything up and basically redo you mac (format and reinstall)

I use Mcafee total protection and havent had issues

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-mac-malware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.