(Topic ID: 299946)

Help with lights not turning on (Flash Gordon)

By TurtlesFan

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Image2 (resized).jpeg
Image1 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hey all. Any thoughts/advice appreciate with this issue!
I recently bought a 1981 Flash Gordon. Super happy. When I received it everything worked for the most part (I haven't gone through testing every inch yet). Yesterday, I needed to move the game into my basement. In order to do so, I had to chop the head off, bring it downstairs, and then wheel the cab down separately. Thankfully, I was able to move everything without causing any physical damage. I reassembled it today (I made sure to properly mark everything I disconnected, and took pictures before to compare to after) As far as I can tell, I put everything back together exactly as it was when I disassembled. Game boots fine, plays exactly as it did pre-disassembly, BUT two sets of lights don't work. 1) The "Flash Gordon" lights on the head (all the other board lights light properly) 2) none of the main playfield lights (like where the dial numbers are, or the top playfield lights. However, all of the side and ally lights seem to work (see pictures below). So I don't get it. I checked the fuses, none seem popped and are all seated. I triple checked that I put everything together correctly, so I can't figure it out. Please, and advice, suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Image1 (resized).jpegImage1 (resized).jpegImage2 (resized).jpegImage2 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

I imagine the F1 fuse on your rectifier board is blown...the small board in the cabinet.

Of course, "chopping the head off" doesn't leave me feeling good

Edit: at least thats how it is for a stern machine of !the same era, hmm...bally may be diff'rent. Anyway, start with those and also check the connection on your light board. Lower left board in Head.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I imagine the F1 fuse on your rectifier board is blown...the small board in the cabinet.
Of course, "chopping the head off" doesn't leave me feeling good
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d57b8527961b466861b082fc9cb25fa2b897373b-1630986217-1800"};
//]]>

Thank you for the suggestion. I need to order a 20a fuse to test it. Any idea why the fuse would have blown just from disassembling and reassembling? Think I put something together wrong?

#4 2 years ago

If for sure could be. Just tonight we had a fuse blowing from a poor ground connection from the cab to the head.
Did you make sure to connect the braided ground wire from the cab to the head?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If for sure could be. Just tonight we had a fuse blowing from a poor ground connection from the cab to the head.

Yup. Absolutely made sure of that. I’ll swing by Home Depot tomorrow, they have bussman AGC 20’s in stock in a 5 pack for 2 bucks.

#6 2 years ago

The insert (controlled) lamps that you seem to be describing all come from the Auxiliary Lamp Driver board on the back of the white light board that swings open. Check the 3 connectors to that board.

#7 2 years ago

Just to be sure: did you pull the fuse(s) in question and check them with a meter?

Agree with pinballmaniac40, sounds like it might just be a connector or 2 that needs to get plugged into the aux lamp driver boards.

Nice looking game!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Just to be sure: did you pull the fuse(s) in question and check them with a meter?
Agree with pinballmaniac40, sounds like it might just be a connector or 2 that needs to get plugged into the aux lamp driver boards.
Nice looking game!

No, I just pulled them out and looked to see if the filament was intact. They all appeared to be. I'll pull out my multimeter in a bit and check them. I'll also double check the three connectors to make sure I didn't screw up there.

Game is nice, I'm happy with it, but it needs some TLC. It was routed until I got it, so it needs a good deep cleaning, fixing up some problem spots (some of the lights don't work, not everything was converted to LED, one of the targets doesn't seem to be operating correctly, a couple of the plastics need to be replaced, etc.) but when it's done it will be fantastic. This was THE game for me when I was a kid, I spent hundreds of hours playing it, so I have a lot of memories from this, it was nice to get one.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ok something is shorting. I replaced the F1 fuse and as soon as it turned on it blew. Whats the best way to run down what's causing the fuse to blow? Thanks!

#10 2 years ago

So I disconnected the two cables to the lamp driver. When you do that and boot it doesn’t pop the fuse. But if you connect either of the cables it blows the fuse. I reconnected the ground cable just to make sure it wasn’t causing an issue. Anyone have any tips?

#11 2 years ago

Gotta find that short. Gotta get in there and look at every lamp and look for something bent or a pinched wire or something touching metal.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gotta find that short. Gotta get in there and look at every lamp and look for something bent or a pinched wire or something touching metal.

Ok so it’s something on the playfield is what you’re saying? I’ll look over every inch. Is there any tool that helps (like using a multimeter?) or do you just inspect for anything touching that shouldn’t be?

#13 2 years ago

you're looking underneath the Playfield at all the sockets of the bulbs for anything wacky. Like the tabs of thr sockets being bend or something instead contact with anything else, like thr lug of a coil.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

you're looking underneath the Playfield at all the sockets of the bulbs for anything wacky. Like the tabs of thr sockets being bend or something instead contact with anything else, like thr lug of a coil.

Ok, so this is REALLY weird. I went through each bulb on the Playfield. Eventually I got to a bulb that I removed when I moved the machine. When I touched my DMM to it, it didn't register. So I put in a new 44 bulb. When I touched the DMM to it, it sounded. Ok, figured maybe that was causing an issue. Put a new 20A fuse in, fired it up... and the lights came back on. Why would a missing bulb be causing a fuse to blow? Is this a sign of something else being wrong? Thanks everyone for all your help.

#15 2 years ago

Perhaps the socket had something shorting inside? Perhaps the bulb itself was the culprit? Hard to say, but as long as it's working I'm usually content to leave stuff like that a mystery

I am curious, though...Either way, congrats on the fix!

#16 2 years ago

Shorts are the worst man! Take the victory and don't look back

#17 2 years ago

I think I saw this on another group post. The ground braid coming up from the cabinet into the backbox has too much extra braid sticking up and is probably shorting against the insert.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I think I saw this on another group post. The ground braid coming up from the cabinet into the backbox has too much extra braid sticking up and is probably shorting against the insert.

Thanks, I wrapped it down to make sure it doesn't touch anything.

Now... time to figure out why half my GI lights in my WWFRR backbox don't work. LOL

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from TurtlesFan:

Now... time to figure out why half my GI lights in my WWFRR backbox don't work. LOL

That's probably easier than this. Usually a crappy connector/board pin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 179.00
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,995 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-lights-not-turning-on-flash-gordon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.