New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 228759)

Help with HS2 Getaway - Upper Flipper

By Corey17

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Corey17
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_121b (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi All, I'm a proud new pinball owner. Just picked up 2 machines a week ago.

My Getaway machine was working pretty well to start, but I'm having an issue with the 3rd/upper flipper.

Here's the issue... When I push the right flipper button, the upper flipper extends and then gets stuck. It stays there until something else draws power (If I hit the left flipper once or twice, or if the ball ejector gets power, the upper flipper usually returns to the normal position. When the flipper is stuck and I power the machine off, it stays stuck extended.

Some more info that may help. After being on and played for several hours the other day, the upper flipper was no longer extending. It was stuck in normal position. After cooling, the next day it worked (a little weak), but again was sticking in the extended position and then going back to normal when the left flipper was used once or twice.

I opened the cabinet to see if the switch was sticking. When I pressed the switch, the 3rd flipper stuck extended, but the switch did not appear to be making contact.

It's kind of odd that it appears to be a mechanical issue because it doesn't clear when the machine is powered down, but hitting the opposite flipper button seems to clear it.

I'm new to all of this, so any help is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

If the flipper stays extended with power off then it certainly seems like a mechanical issue. I would check the coil sleeve, flipper bushing, spring, and other flipper parts. The plunger should easily move through the coil. Best thing would be take it all apart, clean, and inspect all parts. If a lot of parts appear to be worn, do a flipper rebuild with new flipper bushing. If flipper is not gapped correctly, that could cause binding.

#3 2 years ago

Jawjaw, thanks for the reply. I know I have read that if it says extended with the power off that it is mechanical in other places. The odd thing is that when I push the left flipper or the ball ejector, it seems to clear the flipper from being stuck. Almost like when I power something else up, it steals some power away from the upper right flipper. Any ideas of why this symptom might be occuring?

I cleaned up switches yesterday and saw some possible improvement, but it's still sticking some. I will next take it all apart as you suggest. I'm assuming I need to unsolder to do all that, correct?

Thanks again!

#4 2 years ago

It could just be that the vibration of firing those other coils is "releasing" whatever is binding. Can you make the flipper "clear" by pounding the middle of the playfield with your hand? Or the side of the cabinet (like The Fonz)?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

It could just be that the vibration of firing those other coils is "releasing" whatever is binding.

This is what I'm thinking. Since you can turn the game off and the flipper stays up--it's gotta be a mechanical issue.

#6 2 years ago

You don't have to do any soldering to take apart the flipper mech. It's all pretty simple and you can look up the manual online to see how it all should be assembled. Sometimes things are not put together properly or there are incorrect parts. If the flipper is not gapped correctly then that could cause binding. The flipper base should be about a credit card thickness above the bushing. There is a little plastic fork tool you can buy to help set that gap. If the coil was locked 'on' because of a bad transistor on the board, it will get full power all the time which would stick the flipper up and burn up the coil. Take the glass off and move the flipper by hand. If you feel any resistance then that is the problem.

#7 2 years ago

EOS ( End of Stroke ) Switch needs adjustment. This is inside the game.
Spring attached to flipper is week.

Check those

Attached is flipper assembly. EOS switch is shown here. When the flipper is down. The contacts between the switch close.
In this picture the EOS is open. If it doesn't close the flipper will remain up.

Go to your Test Menu. - Go to Switches.
Manually move Flipper up an down. See if EOS is activated.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_121b (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

Is there a gap between the flipper bushing and the bottom of the flipper bat/playfield?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If the flipper stays extended with power off then it certainly seems like a mechanical issue. I would check the coil sleeve, flipper bushing, spring, and other flipper parts. The plunger should easily move through the coil. Best thing would be take it all apart, clean, and inspect all parts. If a lot of parts appear to be worn, do a flipper rebuild with new flipper bushing. If flipper is not gapped correctly, that could cause binding.

I got it working for now, thanks everyone. I took apart the flipper and cleaned the coil and plunger. There was a lot of black dust in there. Once I cleaned it, it worked pretty well. There is a little wear on the plunger, I may need to replace the plunger and re-align everything at the same time. Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside