(Topic ID: 251324)

Help with Gottlieb Skipper ball count issue(s)

By PinBallAndy

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinBallAndy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone on this forum. Your posts over the past have been very helpful to a self taught pinball guy. I bought a Gottlieb Skipper pinball. Did some restoration work on it and got all of the features to work with one huge exception. The game works fine until ball 1 drops into the out hole and is kicked out again. At this point the motor runs but the ball count unit in the back does not advance. Thus the new ball is ball 1 and all the other balls shot are ball 1. Putting additional players on the game does not help since the game is stuck on player 1 ball 1.

If I manually move the round disk on the ball count unit to player 2 position (one click clockwise) the ball scores on the player 2 score reels and when it hits the out hole the player unit advances 3 clicks and goes up to Player 1 ball 2. When the ball drops from this position, the unit remains on player 1 ball 2 and does not advance to player 1, ball 3.

Since the ball count unit advances on player 2 when moved manually, I think the unit itself may be ok. It advances and resets as designed from player 2 position done manually. I cleaned the disk contacts and made sure the disk looked to be aligned properly. When the game resets, the unit goes to the Player 1 ball 1 position every time which I think seems normal. The problem seems to be something related to Player 1 electrical, but I am at a loss and hope the experts can help me out. I did order the schematics from Steve so I have those but am challenged in figuring much out.

Thanks very much-- Pinball Andy down in Sunny Florida

#2 1 year ago

Hi Andy,
Welcome to pinside!

If the Ball Count unit won't advance, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
pasted_image (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

Thanks Howard
Much appreciated. I am going to try your suggestion and see if I can isolate the problem. It only seems to apply to player 1. I will let you know what I am able to figure out.
Andy

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinBallAndy:

It only seems to apply to player 1

Then look at Motor 2C switch first.
For a switch to work 3 things are necessary
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

#5 1 year ago

Howard
Thanks so much. The problem was the gap on motor switch 2C. It was open all the time. I should have noticed it but now I see it on the schematic. Really appreciate your time and help.
Andy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5.00
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 125.00
Lighting - Backbox
Great American Pinball
$ 109.99
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 81.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
€ 60.00
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 32.00
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 29.95
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside