Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN4245.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello, I just bought a Show Boat and it seems to be in complete working order, but inside the cabinet there is a coil mounted in the back left corner on the side that has a plug with two prongs on it that plugs into the board. One wire is not connected and I am trying to figure out what it is used for. Does anyone with this game have any info about this? I have a schematic, but am not good at reading them yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

DSCN4245.JPGDSCN4245.JPG
#2 9 years ago

That is the credit knocker. Looks like it stuck on and cooked. You'll probably need a new coil, bell coil sleeve, and bell plunger to get it working again.

And once you replace all those parts watch to see if it sticks on. If so, disconnect it and figure out what is keeping it stuck on.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the info Mike. I guess I really don't need it since it is on free play, if I am correct. Like I said, it plays fine....as far as I can tell! Thanks again!

#4 9 years ago

Me, I need the knockers to work for when I win a free game.

You know, the old Pavlovian salivation, etc.

It's only about $10 in parts.

#5 9 years ago

"It don't mean a hack if it ain't got that THWACK!"

#6 9 years ago

"If the knockers knockin' don't come a knockin'"!!!

#7 9 years ago

So, a question related to this: On my 1977 Bronco, the knocker works if i have set the jones plug in the head to "credit" instead of "extra ball" and I hit whatever I've set the credit score to be. But if I switch it to "extra ball" the knocker doesn't ever "Thwack", to quote Jr. So is that normal, or is there something wrong that's preventing it from making the noise when I win a free ball?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

So is that normal, or is there something wrong that's preventing it from making the noise when I win a free ball?

Per the schematic, that's normal.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks, Dirt! I'm a month into this hobby but will be able to read schematics eventually! That's my goal!

#10 9 years ago

Does anyone with this game happen to know which parts I would need for this from the Pinball Resource? Not sure which coil, sleeve and plunger I need. Thanks for your time and have a good night!

#11 9 years ago

Think I have the coil and plunger figured out, just trying to figure out sleeve. I think it must be the 2.5 inch sleeve A5172?

http://www.pbresource.com/coilsleeve.html

#12 9 years ago

I believe you want an A-5143 bell coil. They come with a sleeve. Tell them it is for a Show Boat knocker and they will include the proper bell coil sleeve. For that matter, describe the plunger as a knocker plunger with the part number and they will confirm for you.

Otherwise, yes, I believe it would be an A-5172 sleeve.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks a TON Mike!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-gottlieb-show-boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.