image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
20160204_201438_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
20160202_224045_(resized).jpg
20160202_224129_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Hello,

I would like to ask for your help with an issue with my Getaway Supercharger.

Ok my Supercharger runs right at 100 to 102 in test mode. Is this good? Based on Black Rose's youtube video, it should be at mid 80's to 90. Also, during test mode, the ball will roll onto the playfield on its own without me stopping the test.

My best guess is the diverter is slowly opening during test mode until the ball hits it, which makes the ball fall off and stop the test. I already inspected the diverter rivets and they are not broken. The diverter does have a little bit of play when I move it up and down. Very little play but its there.

During game play, the SC works great and the ball has fallen to the playfield (instead of going thru the left loop) only a couple of times. What do you suggest I do here? What could be causing my SC to be a little slow and what could be making the ball fall off during test mode? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I had a terrible time trying to figure out a similar issue. In the end my issue was not the diverter at all, it turns out the ball was hitting the clear plastic piece above the entrance to the diverter. I put a small nylon spacer to raise that piece about 1/8 inch and my problems disappeared.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I had a terrible time trying to figure out a similar issue. In the end my issue was not the diverter at all, it turns out the ball was hitting the clear plastic piece above the entrance to the diverter. I put a small nylon spacer to raise that piece about 1/8 inch and my problems disappeared.

Wow! Thats pretty cool! Will try that for sure...but i assume that only helped with making the ball circle faster? Did that also help with the diverter opening when its not time and hitting the ball and making it fall onto the playfield during test and during game play? Thanks!

#4 8 years ago

I had the same problem as mdclips and had to raise that plastic piece. Mine had to be raised like 1/2 inch. I still have an issue now and then where the ball hits the diverter and spills out the side of the supercharger. I plan on taking it apart and just cleaning if it gets worse but I can live with the occasional hiccup.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I had the same problem as mdclips and had to raise that plastic piece. Mine had to be raised like 1/2 inch. I still have an issue now and then where the ball hits the diverter and spills out the side of the supercharger. I plan on taking it apart and just cleaning if it gets worse but I can live with the occasional hiccup.

So after raising your plastic, did your supercharger time test improve?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

My best guess is the diverter is slowly opening during test mode until the ball hits it, which makes the ball fall off and stop the test

Have you had the assembly off for cleaning, inspection and a new sleeve?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you had the assembly off for cleaning, inspection and a new sleeve?

Hi Grumpy!

You mean the diverter assembly and not the supeecharger assembly correct?

No, I have not taken anything off, just purchased it recently. Can you (again) guide me and tell me what to do? Thank you so much!!!!

#8 8 years ago

Is my SC test time of 100-102 good? Thanks

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So after raising your plastic, did your supercharger time test improve?

My supercharger speed is fine. Never tested the speed. My problem was the ball would suddenly stop and dribble out of supercharger. It happens so fast I had trouble figuring out problem. The big crack in the plastic should of made it obvious.

Taking the supercharger off is really easy. You just undo a handful of screws and 2 connectors and the whole thing comes out as a unit. Make sure to disconnect connectors first. On the bottom is the diverter assembly. I would start with just cleaning everything and giving it a good inspection. I've heard this fixes some issues with others. It's also a good time to give the playfield a good clean/wax with the supercharger off.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

My supercharger speed is fine. Never tested the speed. My problem was the ball would suddenly stop and dribble out of supercharger. It happens so fast I had trouble figuring out problem. The big crack in the plastic should of made it obvious.
Taking the supercharger off is really easy. You just undo a handful of screws and 2 connectors and the whole thing comes out as a unit. Make sure to disconnect connectors first. On the bottom is the diverter assembly. I would start with just cleaning everything and giving it a good inspection. I've heard this fixes some issues with others. It's also a good time to give the playfield a good clean/wax with the supercharger off.

Will inspect the diverter later today for sure. Hopefully a good cleaning will do the trick. Just hope is not something else
Thanks!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hopefully a good cleaning will do the trick.

You know it couldn't hurt.
Someone on pinsides did a post with pics on removal of the supercharger. I just don't remenber his name.
Its not that hard to remove, @ 10 minutes.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You know it couldn't hurt.
Someone on pinsides did a post with pics on removal of the supercharger. I just don't remenber his name.
Its not that hard to remove, @ 10 minutes.

I was under the impression that the part of the supercharger that can be removed is the shell cover. Based on pics on the internet of people removing the SC, the magnets stay on the ramp correct?

What do you think of my SC test time? What is yours? Thanks Grumpy!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

the magnets stay on the ramp correct?

Yes they do unless you need to replace one of them.

Quoted from KornFreak28:What do you think of my SC test time?

It's not the best, would be better if it was in the 90s.

Quoted from KornFreak28:What is yours? Thanks Grumpy!

I will go and check as I have not checked this in a couple years.

#14 8 years ago

Mine is jumping around 95-99. It could cleaned up some also.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Mine is jumping around 95-99. It could cleaned up some also.

We are pretty close in SC times! Have you ever had the issue with the diverter closing when its not supposed to?

#16 8 years ago

No, not that I noticed when playing.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Have you ever had the issue with the diverter closing when its not supposed to?

The diverter coil is just like a flipper coil. It has two coils, a strong pull in coil and a weaker hold coil. If it's opening when it's not supposed to you need to check the hold circuit. Also could be cracked solder joints on a opto that opens up with the vibration.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The diverter coil is just like a flipper coil. It has two coils, a strong pull in coil and a weaker hold coil. If it's opening when it's not supposed to you need to check the hold circuit. Also could be cracked solder joints on a opto that opens up with the vibration.

Sounds like a great staring point! I'll start there later tonight and will let you know how it goes....thanks!

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Ok, after very careful visual inspection I noticed something. The diverter is not closing little by little as I first reported. During gameplay, The diverter is simply closing too early when the ball is looping around the SC and the ball just hits the diverter as the diverter is closing instead of clearing it and going around the loop.

During test mode, the diverter just closes on its own. The ball hits it, falls onto the playfield and ends the test. Obviously soemthing is telling the diverter to close when is not supposed to....but what? Thanks!

#20 8 years ago

Just so we are all on the same page here, normal state is diverter is open and ball goes to the left. When diverter is energized closed the ball goes around the supercharger.

Quoted from KornFreak28:During test mode, the diverter just closes on its own.

I think you mean it's opening on it's own. So a loose wire on something and the vibration of the ball going around. A Tip going opens after it heats up, then releases the diverter coil hold winding.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Just so we are all on the same page here, normal state is diverter is open and ball goes to the left. When diverter is energized closed the ball goes around the supercharger.

I think you mean it's opening on it's own. So a loose wire on something and the vibration of the ball going around. A Tip going opens after it heats up, then releases the diverter coil hold winding.

Sorry I meant to say what you just said. Yeah when the diverter opens the ball hits it and rolls onto playfield. Now, this doen't happen all the time during game play. During test mode, it happens all the time. The diverter opens on its own and ends the test. So for sure open the SC and inspect the coil right?

#22 8 years ago

It wouldn't hurt to clean and inspect it. During test have you timed how long it takes to open. Then if you let it cool off for five minutes and retest do you get the same results.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It wouldn't hurt to clean and inspect it. During test have you timed how long it takes to open. Then if you let it cool off for five minutes and retest do you get the same results.

Grupmy, you are not going to believe this! You know what its doing now? I was playing a game, then the ball drained and it gave me the "dont move" "free ride" but the ball just stayed there on the plunger and the up and down ramp kept trying to go down but couldn't. I turned the game OFF and back on and the same thing, up and down ramp trying to go down but not able to. Turned it off and on again. Tried to plunge the ball, nothing happens! Shifter won't plunge the ball! Then the up and down ramp started trying to go down again and again and again. Turned it off and now I don't know what to do or what caused this? It is something with the shifter that doesn't work and makes the up and down ramp try to go down. In test mode, ramp does go down. Any ideas?

#24 8 years ago

Just tested the solenids and everything works fine! Up and down ramp, plunger, eveything....

#25 8 years ago

WOW!

#26 8 years ago

No error reports...this is weird!

#27 8 years ago

I have such bad luck!!!! Any ideas?

#28 8 years ago

I'm pretty much a novice myself but I would take a step back. Check your boards for acid damage below the battery holder. With power off, try reseating connectors (unplug and plug back in). Wouldn't hurt to put up some pics or videos of the problem.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm pretty much a novice myself but I would take a step back. Check your boards for acid damage below the battery holder. With power off, try reseating connectors (unplug and plug back in). Wouldn't hurt to put up some pics or videos of the problem.

Sure will sir! Currently having dinner but as soon as i can, i will....stand by

#30 8 years ago

Which ROMs are you running as some versions have some issues.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Will let you know as soon as I get home. Thanks!

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Then the up and down ramp started trying to go down again and again and again

common problem that has actually nothing to do with your supercharger issues. it's a mechanical problem, the link movinh the ramp up and down behind the backpanel sometimes moves too far, gets stuck and prevents the ramp flap to go down again. i solved this problem permanently by securing a small rubber inside the channel of the backpanel, limiting the space the arm of the up and down mechanism can travel.

for all your supercharger needs see this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-supercharger-removal-tutorial

cheers

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

common problem that has actually nothing to do with your supercharger issues. it's a mechanical problem, the link movinh the ramp up and down behind the backpanel sometimes moves too far, gets stuck and prevents the ramp flap to go down again. i solved this problem permanently by securing a small rubber inside the channel of the backpanel, limiting the space the arm of the up and down mechanism can travel.
cheers

Thanks for your response! But how come my the shifter wouldn't fire the ball? Did you have the same issue?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

cheers

Can you please post a pic of the rubber you installed to prevent this issue?

I still don't understand why the shifter wouldn't fire just because the ramp went up too far? Safety mechanism? Thanks

#35 8 years ago

Guys, I will post pics tomorrow...got home super late. Hopefully we can solve this issue tomorrow? Please come back to the thread. I got 2 issues now I habe to fix Thanks!

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is this what you asked for?

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#37 8 years ago

Yep your running L-5 software. Its the latest version, but a lot of people prefer L-2.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yep your running L-5 software. Its the latest version, but a lot of people prefer L-2.

Why is that?

#39 8 years ago

I had issues with L5. The game seemed to get confused with Redline Mania and regular mutliball. When I got the 100m super jackpot, I often just got the 50m. Sometimes multiball would start over after a super jackpot and weird stuff like that. L2 has been perfect and you get the "run the red light" message which is kind of cool.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I had issues with L5. The game seemed to get confused with Redline Mania and regular mutliball. When I got the 100m super jackpot, I often just got the 50m. Sometimes multiball would start over after a super jackpot and weird stuff like that. L2 has been perfect and you get the "run the red light" message which is kind of cool.

Nice, where did you get that version? I would like to change it.

That wouldn't be cause of my issues right?

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Nice, where did you get that version? I would like to change it.
That wouldn't be cause of my issues right?

Can you please post a pic of where L2 goes in the board? Thanks

#42 8 years ago

Getting back to the up and down ramp going crazy...anybody have any ideas as to why it would do that and why the shifter would not fire? Thanks

#43 8 years ago

I think I got mine off ebay for like $10 but not sure. i forget where the chip is located but should be labeled. It's a little nerve racking prying out the old rom chip with a screw driver. Mine was in pretty tight. New one just pops in place - just make sure it goes in the right way with the pins lined up.

If you have not had any issues with L5 then no reason to switch. Gameplay is exactly the same besides the "run the red light" message.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think I got mine off ebay for like $10 but not sure. i forget where the chip is located but should be labeled. It's a little nerve racking prying out the old rom chip with a screw driver. Mine was in pretty tight. New one just pops in place - just make sure it goes in the right way with the pins lined up.
If you have not had any issues with L5 then no reason to switch. Gameplay is exactly the same besides the "run the red light" message.

Just bought it! To be honest with you, I would not know if I am having "issues"'with L5. I have never played L2. Have nothing to compare L5 with. What are the common issues or bugs?

I once changed a rom in my Star Wars pin. Yes its nerve racking. After installing L2, you just star playing or is there anything I have to do before playing the game? Thanks

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Just bought it! To be honest with you, I would not know if I am having "issues"'with L5. I have never played L2. Have nothing to compare L5 with. What are the common issues or bugs?

I once changed a rom in my Star Wars pin. Yes its nerve racking. After installing L2, you just star playing or is there anything I have to do before playing the game? Thanks

#46 8 years ago

Sorry for the repeat post. Internet issues

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Will do that today and let you know

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You mean in a SC opto?

#49 8 years ago

The supercharger diverter gate has 2 coils. One to open (high voltage) and one to hold and keep open (low voltage). Check both. Check for closing optos on the SC in switch test to make sure they all close and open as you pass an object through each one.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

The supercharger diverter gate has 2 coils. One to open (high voltage) and one to hold and keep open (low voltage). Check both. Check for closing optos on the SC in switch test to make sure they all close and open as you pass an object through each one.

Ok, I guess there is no way around it. I must take the SC apart.
Feel a little intimidated to do it to be honest with you. Once I take it apart, what do I do to the coils? What should I look for?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-getaway-supercharger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.