12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 months ago

First, I am a liberal arts nerd, not an engineering nerd, so I need some help.

I have a Guardians of the Galaxy with two mods that trigger off one flasher. The first mod, an LED light, worked fine. Then I added a Pinstadium and wanted to use that flasher to trigger the UV Glow. When I hooked it up it caused an overcurrent warning. There are other people having similar problems with the Pinstadium trigger.

I tried other flashers and did lots of troubleshooting and couldn't get the UV to work. So I poked around here and found an old thread that suggested using a FRM01 / FRM02 relay to trigger multiple mods. I thought that might work for me to provide a stable resistance back to the node board to avoid the overcurrent warning. Since I am just triggering LEDs I got the 5 volt version.

Here is an English translation of the owner's manual: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/attachment.php?aid=1040

I am using program 10 with 0 delay, so it should just turn on and off with the flasher.

I used a PBL Accessory Power Supply and ran 5 volts to the relay. I used Comet Matrix connections and a 2 way splitter to grab a signal off the flasher and ran it to the FRM as my trigger. I copied the wiring diagram at the beginning of this Youtube video:

The good news is that it is turned on and I am not getting the overcurrent warning. I am using the 2 way splitter with an LED on one side so I can easily see my trigger.

When I power on the machine the relay opens after a brief delay and then closes when the system does it's light cycle at the end of the startup loop. After that the relay doesn't trigger open again.

Here is a video: https://imgur.com/gallery/a6iue1F - The LED on the right is connected to the flasher. The LED on the left is connected to the relay.

If I hook the LED to the normally closed side of the relay it turns on, so I know that the power is working, but the relay is not. I believe I would be able to hear a click when it opens/closes and it's not doing that. I also ran through the flasher test mode in the system menu and it's not triggering.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong here?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-frm02-5-volt-relay-spike-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.