View topic image gallery

20200406_065819[1] (resized).jpg
20200406_065814[1] (resized).jpg
20200406_065810[1] (resized).jpg
20200406_065806[1] (resized).jpg
20200406_183019[1] (resized).jpg
20200405_162429[1] (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am looking for some advice on the situation I am in with my first attempt at a playfield restoration. I have been using the advice from vid1900 Guide to Ultimate Playfield Restoration as well as other articles and videos. I have a Road Kings playfield with everything taken off front and back. The playfield was in good condition in terms of no spots worn though the paint, it has some chips, cracks in the paint, and terrible looking mylar covering half the playfield. I removed the mylar with no issues using the freeze can method. I then wiped the playfield down with naphtha. The glue from the mylar was still there so I started to remove it with the flour and isopropyl alcohol method. It was going very slow but it was working, the glue was thick. I ended up taking a break for a few hours to give my fingers a rest, when I came back I found the situation.
In all the white areas under where the plastics would be or rubbers, the paint was peeling and flaking off. This was not like that before when I was wiping the playfield down and removing glue. I was planning to use Frisket and air brush all the white areas anyway but I still need to finish getting the rest of the glue off and level the inserts. So I need to stop the flaking from getting worse while I finish getting the playfield ready for paint and then clear coating.
Any help or advice on how to handle this is appreciated!

20200405_162429[1] (resized).jpg20200405_162429[1] (resized).jpg20200406_183019[1] (resized).jpg20200406_183019[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065806[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065806[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065810[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065810[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065814[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065814[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065819[1] (resized).jpg20200406_065819[1] (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

As I see it , your best option is to apply a first layer of clear coat ASAP .
The remaining glue will disappear under the clear coat. raised areas from the glue or cracked paint will even out after you wet sand the playfield.
Make sure though you wait a week after the first layer of 2pac before assessing the job.
Leveling the inserts can be done , along with the first layer of 2pac.
Since the problematic white areas are yellow , you will need to reapply white , so the damage will disappear anyhow.

#3 4 years ago

When you left the game for a while did you leave residual alcohol on the PF? As you probably know if you have been following Vids guide, alcohol eats through clear or any other type of finish. If left on long enough without being wiped off with a damp cloth I could see it eating through the finish and then through the actual paint.

I have loss paint during this process before but it was do to the paint being chipped and cracking so when the mylar was being pulled up there was more holding onto the glue beneath the mylar then on the PF itself and thus it pulled up. In your case this does not appear to be the problem.

My opinion is that any loose materials if not removed before clearing will only make a mess and or blow off when you attempt to clear. So the removal of the flaking is necessary. Others can chime in on this statement.

Here's what I would do:
- Remove the rest of the glue paying attention to how long the alcohol is sitting (less time the better)
- Wipe PF with damp cloth, then naptha to remove any remaining alcohol and flour
- Remove any flaking of paint and or finish
- Air brush in your touch ups
- Clear

Thanks
Blake

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

When you left the game for a while did you leave residual alcohol on the PF? As you probably know if you have been following Vids guide, alcohol eats through clear or any other type of finish. If left on long enough without being wiped off with a damp cloth I could see it eating through the finish and then through the actual paint.
I have loss paint during this process before but it was do to the paint being chipped and cracking so when the mylar was being pulled up there was more holding onto the glue beneath the mylar then on the PF itself and thus it pulled up. In your case this does not appear to be the problem.
My opinion is that any loose materials if not removed before clearing will only make a mess and or blow off when you attempt to clear. So the removal of the flaking is necessary. Others can chime in on this statement.
Here's what I would do:
- Remove the rest of the glue paying attention to how long the alcohol is sitting (less time the better)
- Wipe PF with damp cloth, then naptha to remove any remaining alcohol and flour
- Clear
Thanks
Blake

If there is prominent flaking , obviously it should be removed before applying clear.
But airbrushing a bare playfield before locking everything with a protective layer of clear is , imho , wrong. Making a mistake is difficult to correct. Also “hills and valleys” not filled with clear before airbrushing , will be prominent under side lighting.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

If there is prominent flaking , obviously it should be removed before applying clear.
But airbrushing a bare playfield before locking everything with a protective layer of clear is , imho , wrong. Making a mistake is difficult to correct. Also “hills and valleys” not filled with clear before airbrushing , will be prominent under side lighting.

I guess we were both making assumptions. you chose to leave out removing flaking as I chose to leave out laying down base clear before airbrushing.

The assumption is he is following VID’s criteria and And therefore the need to give a step-by-step by step is unnecessary.

The first part of my post is the important part.

Thanks
Blake

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

As I see it , your best option is to apply a first layer of clear coat ASAP .
The remaining glue will disappear under the clear coat. raised areas from the glue or cracked paint will even out after you wet sand the playfield.
Make sure though you wait a week after the first layer of 2pac before assessing the job.
Leveling the inserts can be done , along with the first layer of 2pac.
Since the problematic white areas are yellow , you will need to reapply white , so the damage will disappear anyhow.

What about the dirty areas of the playfield? I was hoping to get artwork looking as best as I can before the first coat of clear. I am thinking of doing one small section at a time avoiding the flaking and try to clean it up.

Quoted from Blake:

Here's what I would do:
- Clear
Thanks
Blake

I did wipe the playfield with naphtha before taking the break. The weird thing is all the areas that are flaking are areas I was not working with getting the glue off. I am guessing alcohol got in the cracks somehow and I didnt get it off.

#7 4 years ago

It’s hard to say why it peeled the way it did (It certainly could have been the alcohol seeping into the cracks), but it’s obvious the clear/finish was not up to the task of removing the glue without damage.

Cleaning the rest of the playfield will have to be done with care and caution. Naphtha is a good cleaner that you don’t have to worry about removing more clear and or paint (under normal conditions/still be cautious). Novus 2 works better but is more abrasive and in your situation. If you choose to try it, use a white microfiber cloth so you can see any paint bleeding. And check often.

Any areas that can’t hold up to light cleaning will most likely not hold up to clear sprayed on or airbrush if necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks
Blake

#8 4 years ago

In agreement with Blake regarding naptha and Novus. Naptha will not really clean troublesome areas , but Novus 2 might. Go slowly and watch for paint on your white microfiber cloth.
As for areas not holding up to clear , unless you get flakes flying around by just blowing some air with your mouth , which it seems is not the case here from the pics shown , applying clear is completely safe and mandatory.
Dealing with a very neglected playfield that makes yours look like new , the first layer of clear , made all the chips and cracks disappear. I had to repaint all the playfield though.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slow-playfield-restoration#post-4720407

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-flaking-paint-on-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.