1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DBLM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CJD312.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some direction and opinions on my first full restoration. I got involved with pinball about two years ago with my first machine... a data east hook and am now hooked. I'm looking to begin my first full restoration to really learn.

This is where I need some help. I'm not set on which machine to restore as it is more about the experience for me. Looking for input on which machine to start with. I'm looking for something that is an easier restore that won't make me lose everything if I decide to sell.(hook isn't worth the restore to me) I would really like to do a taf however I didn't want to do a playfield restoration and would like to find a nos or reproduction so that has pushed me to a T2. Also readily available replacement parts are a must.

Also are there any good resources on the best techniques, tools etc I need to really get this done? I know it seems extreme but I feel restoring my own machine will be a rewarding, frustrated I guess experience that I'm looking forward to.

Thanks!
Chris

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There's a lot of shit in this thread you may find interesting.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

Awesome thread. Exactly what I was looking for but wasn't able to sort out of all the posts. Thank you!! From your experience is there a certain title that is a bit easier to start with?

#16 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Going to go with the full tear down's first as you all really suggested. Just afraid my OCD won't let me stop and I'll end up with a full restoration anyway but hopefully i'll be able to avoid that. Thanks for the opinions and direction!

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You might consider tearing down your Hook. I am doing mine now (1st for me as well) and it is not bad. Been cleaning it, replacing rubbers, changing lights, legs, armor, etc. In my case, I like Hook and am not getting rid of it. It sounds like you are not as invested in yours so that might be a good place to start and hone your skills before tackling something bigger.

I thought about it but the lack of available parts really frustrated me. In particular the rufio ramp and the skill shot ramp as mine are damaged. I will surely break something that there are no replacements for and i would be screwed. Kinda pushed me to the more popular titles that have more readily available parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 28.00
$ 999.00
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bernardston, MA
€ 3.70
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CJD312.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside