Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DBLM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some direction and opinions on my first full restoration. I got involved with pinball about two years ago with my first machine... a data east hook and am now hooked. I'm looking to begin my first full restoration to really learn.

This is where I need some help. I'm not set on which machine to restore as it is more about the experience for me. Looking for input on which machine to start with. I'm looking for something that is an easier restore that won't make me lose everything if I decide to sell.(hook isn't worth the restore to me) I would really like to do a taf however I didn't want to do a playfield restoration and would like to find a nos or reproduction so that has pushed me to a T2. Also readily available replacement parts are a must.

Also are there any good resources on the best techniques, tools etc I need to really get this done? I know it seems extreme but I feel restoring my own machine will be a rewarding, frustrated I guess experience that I'm looking forward to.

Thanks!
Chris

#2 7 years ago

You are asking for a lot of info all at once. I suggest finding one of many resto threads here, and read it thru. That should answer most of your questions.
Most any WPC game would be a safe candidate for you.
Good luck.

#3 7 years ago

There's a lot of shit in this thread you may find interesting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#4 7 years ago

Read the restoration threads here. Lots of good ideas, do's and donts. Read, read, read. I have a hsa restored T2 playfield I plan on selling as well as T2 decals and a set of t2 wood Reese playfield rails for sale if your interested. I was assembling the items for a t2 restore but fell into a few early Bally projects.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Awesome thread. Exactly what I was looking for but wasn't able to sort out of all the posts. Thank you!! From your experience is there a certain title that is a bit easier to start with?

#6 7 years ago

There's plenty of info around this forum...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first

#7 7 years ago

Why don't you list 3-6 games you like. We can then help you pick one that may be an easier choice

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That's the best restoration thread on Pinside, IMO.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CJD312:

Awesome thread. Exactly what I was looking for but wasn't able to sort out of all the posts. Thank you!! From your experience is there a certain title that is a bit easier to start with?

Get that $5500 AFM that's for sale right now. Offer $5000. Put a new playfield, cabinet decals, and whatever else it needs into the game. You'll be out another $3000, but you'll have an original AFM that looks worth more than $8000 if you do it right.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from CJD312:

From your experience is there a certain title that is a bit easier to start with?

That's hard for me to say. Pretty much all I've ever restored have been Williams/Bally WPC and WPC95 games. Like Beezleboob says, AFM is easier than most, but a base game might cost you $5000. You could start with a less popular title that doesn't cost as much, but you may not find as many parts available.

I don't want to sound like a dick...I don't know what your skill level is, but you could invest a whole lot of time and money into a restoration thinking you've increased it's value, when it may be just the opposite. You may decrease the value because whoever buys it is going to have to do it all over again and do it correctly.

I'd say maybe start with a complete shop out of a game. Tear the playfield down as much as you feel comfortable, and clean and rebuild everything. Get a feel for how that goes.

Starting out with a full blown restoration might be a little much.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I don't want to sound like a dick...I don't know what your skill level is, but you could invest a whole lot of time and money into a restoration thinking you've increased it's value, when it may be just the opposite. You may decrease the value because whoever buys it is going to have to do it all over again and do it correctly.

First of all, sounding like dick is what you're good at. Second of all, you make a valid point. He probably should start cheaper. But I was a little bit anal so it worked out well for me. And please try to spell my name correctly, Brian.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'd say maybe start with a complete shop out of a game. Tear the playfield down as much as you feel comfortable, and clean and rebuild everything. Get a feel for how that goes.
Starting out with a full blown restoration might be a little much.

As much as I hate to agree with Bryan he is right on this point. Also if you're not retired like Bryan finding the time to do a full blown restoration may mean the game is in pieces for well over a year. I recall when I "restored" my first game, Funhouse, I spent more than 11 months between start and finish. Every time you shop out a game, fix the bugs, you will learn more and more. Eventually your skills will improve and you can gradually start to improve the esthetics of the game.

#14 7 years ago

Generally takes me four months stripping it to wood and wire. But I'm just trying to make Skypilot look slow.

#15 7 years ago

My first restoration was a STTNG, it went well and turned out nice. But unless you are really confident in your ability to put it back together correctly and very comfortable soldering I would not start with STTNG. Its a very complex machine. I am doing a TAF now with a Ron Kruzman Playfield and it's going well, it's a much easier machine than STTNG.

#16 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Going to go with the full tear down's first as you all really suggested. Just afraid my OCD won't let me stop and I'll end up with a full restoration anyway but hopefully i'll be able to avoid that. Thanks for the opinions and direction!

#17 7 years ago

You might consider tearing down your Hook. I am doing mine now (1st for me as well) and it is not bad. Been cleaning it, replacing rubbers, changing lights, legs, armor, etc. In my case, I like Hook and am not getting rid of it. It sounds like you are not as invested in yours so that might be a good place to start and hone your skills before tackling something bigger.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You might consider tearing down your Hook. I am doing mine now (1st for me as well) and it is not bad. Been cleaning it, replacing rubbers, changing lights, legs, armor, etc. In my case, I like Hook and am not getting rid of it. It sounds like you are not as invested in yours so that might be a good place to start and hone your skills before tackling something bigger.

I thought about it but the lack of available parts really frustrated me. In particular the rufio ramp and the skill shot ramp as mine are damaged. I will surely break something that there are no replacements for and i would be screwed. Kinda pushed me to the more popular titles that have more readily available parts.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CJD312:

I thought about it but the lack of available parts really frustrated me. In particular the rufio ramp and the skill shot ramp as mine are damaged. I will surely break something that there are no replacements for and i would be screwed. Kinda pushed me to the more popular titles that have more readily available parts.

Can understand about the parts. Check ebay. A guy just parted out those pieces last week and has more parts up now. I did not see those two specific parts up now but they do pop up. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-first-full-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.